New Core i5 2500k build

Flaus

Mar 27, 2011
Hey Guys,

I just got done with my new Sandy Bridge build and wanted to run some stuff by you guys and see what you think. Below are the components in the install:

Mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz (just chose a pre-defined 4.2 multipler by ASRock)
PSU: Cooler Master SILENT Pro 600W 80 Plus Bronze
GPU: MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr 768GDDR5
Ram: G. Skill 4GB DDR3-1600
Heatsink Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
HD: Samsung SpinPoint F4 1TB 7200rpm
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White

Pics of build (can't insert into thread for some reason). https://picasaweb.google.com/112744...authkey=Gv1sRgCJSF3LPAgtimmQE&feat=directlink

1. My idle temps are about 40C on all cores (ambient temps roughly 72F), and I feel that is a little high. Thoughts? Would it have to do with the way I installed the Hyper 212+ with the fan facing the top of the case? I removed one of the ModuiVents on the top of the case to allow heat to escape. Should I turn the Heatsink fan so its vertical?

That is my main concern right now. So if someone wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts I would appreciate it. I just get nervous when I see peoples idle temps in the low 30's with the Hyper 212+. Maybe its just my case?

Last edited:

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
I wouldn't be too concerned with your idle temps as long as your load temps are fine.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
IMG_0363.JPG

Which way is the CPU fan blowing?

I could see how your temps are higher than normal with either way the fan is blowing. Obviously if the fan is blowing into the heatsink your dumping heat into the middle of the case. But if the fan is sucking air through the heatsink, then there could be suction problems caused by the rear case fan and airflow wouldn't be optimal.

You could add a second fan to the heatsink and make sure they blow their air "Up".

You could move the fan to the underside of the heatsink and blow air up and through the heatsink.

Or you could rotate the heatsink 90 degrees clockwise and have the fan blow air through the heatsink towards the rear case fan.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
There is no way that orientation is correct on the Hyper212. Either you should have a single fan blowing horizontally through the heatsink or vertically through the heatsink, or you should have two fans attached, one blowing air through and the other sucking air out and pushing it towards a vent/case fan.

With a single 1200rpm fan pushing air through my horizontally oriented Hyper212, my i7-860 idles at 27-23-27-21 in ambient of 21.

Also, to get technical, your "auto" overclock probably just sets a flat voltage to hit 4.2, and disables all c-state tech, so you're at full voltage. Tell us what your idle temps are if you put everything at stock.

Last edited:

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Also, to get technical, your "auto" overclock probably just sets a flat voltage to hit 4.2, and disables all c-state tech, so you're at full voltage. Tell us what your idle temps are if you put everything at stock.

This. Check your idle and load voltages as set by your "auto" overclock. Manual settings FTW.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
If you're running at an OCed speed of 4.2Ghz I don't think it is that bad actually. You could improve case temps by adding another fan at the top of the casing and put your 120mm fan on your CM Hyper212+ to blow upwards instead of downwards because hot air rises.

You could also add another 120mm fan to your CM Hyper212+ to do a push pull configuration which might improve the temps as well.

Flaus

Mar 27, 2011
Hey Guys,

Got a little busy last night so I was not able to respond.

1. When applying the thermal paste, I did a pea size in the middle and twisted the heatsink back and forth slightly to help ooze out. I can pull it off and see how the spreading is and add two dots per the link posted.

2. The fan is mounted on the top pulling air through the bottom of the heatsink and blowing the air out the top of the case. The top of the case has two vents that can fit 120 or 140mm fans. They are initially covered with sound deadening material, but I removed one so air can escape.

So the consensus seems to be, re-orient the heatsink to the vertical position, with the fan facing the rear of the case?

I will take a screenshot using Hardware Monitor of what the voltages are. I am a complete (read: COMPLETE) noob at overclocking so I do not know what normal ranges should be. Guess I need to read up on SAndy Bridge overclocking basics.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Hey Guys,

Got a little busy last night so I was not able to respond.

1. When applying the thermal paste, I did a pea size in the middle and twisted the heatsink back and forth slightly to help ooze out. I can pull it off and see how the spreading is and add two dots per the link posted.

2. The fan is mounted on the top pulling air through the bottom of the heatsink and blowing the air out the top of the case. The top of the case has two vents that can fit 120 or 140mm fans. They are initially covered with sound deadening material, but I removed one so air can escape.

So the consensus seems to be, re-orient the heatsink to the vertical position, with the fan facing the rear of the case?

I will take a screenshot using Hardware Monitor of what the voltages are. I am a complete (read: COMPLETE) noob at overclocking so I do not know what normal ranges should be. Guess I need to read up on SAndy Bridge overclocking basics.

1. Yes, your method of TIM application is probably wrong, as indicated in the linked article.

2. You don't necessarily need to reorient the cooler, you just need to have a fan blowing through it - the fan sucking air out of it will be ineffective on its own. That being said, it will probably work better with the fan pointing to the back of the case, simply because you have another fan there to draw the air out.

And return your CPU to stock and tell us what the idle temps are. Without knowing that, we can't help you, because your "Auto" voltage is probably extremely high.

By the way, that's a very clean build. Nice job!

Last edited:
May 13, 2009
Yeah I didn't see that. Running an overclock on auto probably has the voltage way too much and that is contributing greatly to the higher temps.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Been waiting to see some builds with this board as it's the one I am most considering.

So, it does look like there are clearance issues with RAM w/tall heatspreaders and the 212+? If your 212 was turned 90 degrees clockwise would you still have the issue?

I wish my case had the open area on the motherboard tray to access the mounting hardware of the cooler. :mad:

I can't be of any more help than the others have suggested but thanks for all the pics.

Flaus

Mar 27, 2011
1. Yes, your method of TIM application is probably wrong, as indicated in the linked article.

2. You don't necessarily need to reorient the cooler, you just need to have a fan blowing through it - the fan sucking air out of it will be ineffective on its own. That being said, it will probably work better with the fan pointing to the back of the case, simply because you have another fan there to draw the air out.

And return your CPU to stock and tell us what the idle temps are. Without knowing that, we can't help you, because your "Auto" voltage is probably extremely high.

By the way, that's a very clean build. Nice job!

Sounds good. I will probably order another 120mm fan and slap that on the other side blowing air through the heatsink, to the other fan that is expelling it out of the back of the case.

I left the computer running on idle last night just to see, and when I checked my temps this morning they were around 35C. Which I feel is slighty more realistic. I took a screenshot, but will have to upload later as I am at work :(.

Thanks for the compliment. I spent about 2 hours cable managing to try and get rid of as many cables as possible. I will set the CPU back to stock and take some screenshots of temps at idle, and load. And then reorient the heatsink and do the same with a better thermal paste spread. Thanks for your help guys. i will report back tonight.

Flaus

Mar 27, 2011
Been waiting to see some builds with this board as it's the one I am most considering.

So, it does look like there are clearance issues with RAM w/tall heatspreaders and the 212+? If your 212 was turned 90 degrees clockwise would you still have the issue?

I wish my case had the open area on the motherboard tray to access the mounting hardware of the cooler. :mad:

I can't be of any more help than the others have suggested but thanks for all the pics.

Hey De,

No problem. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them. As far as the heat spreaders, I did run into an issue with my G. Skill ripjaws ram so I had to shift them over 1 slot (with the heatsink in both orientations). The Fan was right over the top of the ram, and actually touched the heatspreader at the top of the DIMM stick. Unless your using 4 sticks of RAM, you can just shift the 2 sticks over one slot and still have dual channel support and use the 212+.

I was going to get the H70, but the 212+ was about 70 bucks cheaper so I went with that.

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Hey De,

No problem. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them. As far as the heat spreaders, I did run into an issue with my G. Skill ripjaws ram so I had to shift them over 1 slot (with the heatsink in both orientations). The Fan was right over the top of the ram, and actually touched the heatspreader at the top of the DIMM stick. Unless your using 4 sticks of RAM, you can just shift the 2 sticks over one slot and still have dual channel support and use the 212+.

I was going to get the H70, but the 212+ was about 70 bucks cheaper so I went with that.

I didn't notice that clearance problem with the Hyper212 in your picture. The good thing about orienting it the other way is you can raise the fan a bit to clear the memory slots (not totally ideal for cooling, but still ok). Another advantage of the other orientation is that it provides some cooling for the memory, and it also goes more with the air flow of your case (assuming you have at least one front fan, which you probably should with all those hard drives).

Flaus

Mar 27, 2011
I didn't notice that clearance problem with the Hyper212 in your picture. The good thing about orienting it the other way is you can raise the fan a bit to clear the memory slots (not totally ideal for cooling, but still ok). Another advantage of the other orientation is that it provides some cooling for the memory, and it also goes more with the air flow of your case (assuming you have at least one front fan, which you probably should with all those hard drives).

You're right. With the cooler in the vertical orientation, if I would have raised the fan maybe 1cm it would have cleared the ram fine. But I decided I like the aesthetic look where you could read cooler master. I am now learning that was an ill-advised move, lol.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
You're right. With the cooler in the vertical orientation, if I would have raised the fan maybe 1cm it would have cleared the ram fine. But I decided I like the aesthetic look where you could read cooler master. I am now learning that was an ill-advised move, lol.

Ha, ha - I noticed the symmetry of all the name brands lining up in your case. Alas, sometimes form must follow function!

By the way, I think people refer to the rearward facing HSF as "horizontal" as opposed to "vertical", because the fans blow horizontally.

Flaus

Mar 27, 2011
Alright all. I am back home now and able to take some starting point temperatures. Below are my temps, and settings (load settings Prime95 Blend Test).

Stock Clock speed
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/C_4TVMHRsPhoqlDQfCkmCugFgCKAqwe6GwbyHdc6rD8?feat=directlink

Stock Clock speed, idle, heatsink not yet turned
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_Isxg7oxhrvflfTa45Ce6ugFgCKAqwe6GwbyHdc6rD8?feat=directlink

Stock Clock speed, load, heatsink not yet turned
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9WIlSOWT3W2M-3Tzkdx-nOgFgCKAqwe6GwbyHdc6rD8?feat=directlink

Auto-overclock 4.2GHZ, idle, heatsink not yet turned
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OD1xasiUoEBMaQ-Cz-8sROgFgCKAqwe6GwbyHdc6rD8?feat=directlink

Auto-overclock 4.5GHz, load, heatsink not yet turned
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aoSVDTW6cYRaLOe-z6XjFOgFgCKAqwe6GwbyHdc6rD8?feat=directlink

Based on this information, do you think it is still necessary to turn the heatsink and check for thermal paste spreading?

C_4TVMHRsPhoqlDQfCkmCugFgCKAqwe6GwbyHdc6rD8

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Well, your idle temps are higher then they need to be. Your voltage looks fine although a sandy bridge owner should probably chime in. I can't read the load temps - print too small for my smart phone.

You absolutely must remount that fan on the other side of the heatsink though. It's just plain wrong right now. Doing the remount and TIM is up to you.

Last edited:

Flaus

Mar 27, 2011
Well, your idle temps are higher then they need to be. Your voltage looks fine although a sandy bridge owner should probably chime in. I can't read the read the load temps - print to small for my smart phone.

You absolutely must remount that fan on the other side of the heatsink though. It's just plain wrong right now. Doing the remount and TIM is up to you.

Ok, so just so I am 100% clear, I am going to turn the heatsink so the fan of the heatsink is facing the back of the case, or facing the front?

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Ok, so just so I am 100% clear, I am going to turn the heatsink so the fan of the heatsink is facing the back of the case, or facing the front?

Hmmm, I'd like to know too since my future build will be pretty similar. I was thinking the best method would be the fan so that it pulls air from the RAM side, through the heatsink and then out the rear exhaust. But don't listen to me, wait until the more advanced memebers speak out.

So, my way would be the front case fans blowing cool air across the RAM, the 212 + fan pulling that same air through and then the exhaust fan getting rid of the air.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I just finished my i5-2500K build on Sunday and I also have the Hyper 212+, but I have the fan on the RAM side of the motherboard and blowing out the back of the case. I may add another since I have an extra S-Flex, but I'm not concerned about it yet.

I still need to mess with a bunch of things, but I did a quick overclock to 4GHz and let the motherboard (P8P67) set the voltage and whatnot.

For comparison, I'm idling (1600MHz @ 1V) at around 30-31C right now (ambient is around 25C or so). At full load in Prime95, HWMonitor is reporting my cores at around 51-52-51-48C (+/-1C), and this is at 4GHz @ 1.24V w/ 55% CPU fan speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken g6

Flaus

Mar 27, 2011
Thanks for the input man. Anyone agree to have the ram blowing towards the ram, or blowing towards the rear? I would think to have the fan to the rear, like DE said.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Thanks for the input man. Anyone agree to have the ram blowing towards the ram, or blowing towards the rear? I would think to have the fan to the rear, like DE said.

Blowing towards the rear is the best option since you'll create a vacuum in the case. If it were blowing towards the RAM, depending on the CFM of each fan, you'd have a hot spot in between both fans.

Reactions: Ken g6