New ASRock Z77 build issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Its getting to the point where I'm going to be video recording the 'unboxing and inspection' of everything I buy nowadays.

drivium

Oct 5, 2012
To tell you the truth I felt a lot better inserting a socket into 775 than I do with anything later. Every time I swing that 1155 lever down it makes a bad sound and doesn't feel like a smooth action. I swear bad stuff is happening in there and then I'm always relieved when I see that boot screen come up.

So it's not just me! I installed my first 1155 chip in an Asrock board last night.. Quite a bit more resistance in the arm going down than I expected. Everything seems to be working ok, but it did make an unpleasant sound... I checked and double checked I had the cpu in there correctly after I noticed the resistance. I guess that's just the way it's designed. Works a treat!

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Just an update for everyone...My Boss decided to update his E6600 Conroe I built for him back in 06, so I got another i5 3470, 16GB Vengence, Intel 330 180GB SSD and a huge Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 13 CO...my god its big!, never had 120mmm fans on my CPU before...
Anyway, I manged to straighten the pins on the motherboard, installed the CPU, bought the stay down on top and secured, then removed to check out the pin placement...seems the CPU had helped my straighten somewhat, so all good....have it running now on open bench...

Will be a nice upgrade from the Conroe for him!

The embarrassing bit is the fact I damaged the board when i first inserted the CPU?!!...for shame!:oops::$

pro13.jpg

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I have since discovered why the mobo wouldnt boot in the 1st instance...the memory slots A1 & A2 are faulty, it wont boot with any RAM in those sockets!