New ASRock Z77 build issue

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
ASRock Pro4-M & i5 3470...new build and not posting with 4x4gb Corsair vengence.....
now this doesnt have a PC speaker, should I still hear a POST signal when booting?

balane

Dec 15, 2006
You won't hear anything unless you have a little speaker plugged into the header.

I have that mobo too.

Did you try it with on board (Ivy Bridge) video and one stick of RAM in different slots? No hard drive, nothing but the CPU plugged in and one stick of RAM.

Do your fans power up when you hit the button?

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
You won't hear anything unless you have a little speaker plugged into the header.

I have that mobo too.

Did you try it with on board (Ivy Bridge) video and one stick of RAM in different slots? No hard drive, nothing but the CPU plugged in and one stick of RAM.

Do your fans power up when you hit the button?

Hi, cheers for the answer, silly question, but thought the system might not need pc speaker to beep.....so that explains no POST, took all RAM out but one, and HDDs, optical and dGPU, but still no display via onbpard DVI.....hope it is a faulty board, as I ordered another before sending this one back for RMA....

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Hi, so the supplier has come back to me stating I have damaged the pins on the socket?!, and wont refund....I have been building PC for next to 20 yrs and never done this before....
Can anyone advise how placing the CPU in (as there is only one way) can damage the pins?...I have asked for the board to be returned to me so i can see if I can fix it to use eslewhere.....
TdCGQ1GlRR.jpg

Abe37Y0TY3.jpg

mRSsAtpOyl.jpg

Looks to me like the top one has a short or a burn mark?

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Looks more bent than burnt.

BTW -- How's Napier these days? It was pretty in 1999. Very pleasant.

sperho

Sep 7, 2012
I don't even see how you would bend the pins in that way with a mis-insertion attempt. ASRock themselves are blaming this on you? Yikes... I just bought an ASRock board. :eek:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I don't even see how you would bend the pins in that way with a mis-insertion attempt. ASRock themselves are blaming this on you? Yikes... I just bought an ASRock board. :eek:

Yeah, they got me, I have no idea how they got bend, my e-tailers said the supplier wont refund due to damaged which cant of been there previously?...I couldnt tell you how many cpus I have changed, installed etc, been doing this for over 20 years, and while my eyes arent the best nowadays, the cpu only goes in one way, you can tell if you have it wrong?...

Anyway, they will send the board back to me, any suggestions on fixing?...

I wonder if I approach ASRock myself.....I do really like their boards...The replacement has my i5 3470 non K running at 4ghz beautifully and the board has great featres for the price......

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Looks more bent than burnt.

BTW -- How's Napier these days? It was pretty in 1999. Very pleasant.

Hi mate, been a few changes since then bud, I was away from 89 to 03 in the UK, so there was heaps of changes by the time I got back.....

Love that they have so many golf courses here, its my new hobby, well it was new 10 years ago...LOL

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
You know, I reckon these pins get a bit of grief when you swing the lever down, but to get damage in the corners only?....it would have to be inserted on an angle?..surely?

sperho

Sep 7, 2012
Yeah, they got me, I have no idea how they got bend, my e-tailers said the supplier wont refund due to damaged which cant of been there previously?...I couldnt tell you how many cpus I have changed, installed etc, been doing this for over 20 years, and while my eyes arent the best nowadays, the cpu only goes in one way, you can tell if you have it wrong?...

Anyway, they will send the board back to me, any suggestions on fixing?...

I wonder if I approach ASRock myself.....I do really like their boards...The replacement has my i5 3470 non K running at 4ghz beautifully and the board has great featres for the price......

Contacting ASRock themselves couldn't hurt after making an honest effort with the retailer... Courtesy and calmness can go a long way toward a positive resolution.

balane

Dec 15, 2006
To tell you the truth I felt a lot better inserting a socket into 775 than I do with anything later. Every time I swing that 1155 lever down it makes a bad sound and doesn't feel like a smooth action. I swear bad stuff is happening in there and then I'm always relieved when I see that boot screen come up.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I have sent an email to asrock in the US, but doubt I will get anywhere with this,mthe freight and customs tax will probably amount to the same price of the board anyway...LOL...

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I would just attempt to bend them back myself. I have done it before and its not that bad.

Big Roger

Jun 16, 2008
Yeah, what's it look like, three or four pins each side? Bend them very very carefully to the correct orientation, I've done it a few times...You are better off using a magnifying glass if you want to make sure you're as accurate as possible. Use pointed, jewellers tweezers.

Strange how that looks to have happened but on the CPU is there any sign of the contact/slight rubbing or scratching? On the CPU cover, again, are there any signs of the impact?

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Yeah, what's it look like, three or four pins each side? Bend them very very carefully to the correct orientation, I've done it a few times...You are better off using a magnifying glass if you want to make sure you're as accurate as possible. Use pointed, jewellers tweezers.

Strange how that looks to have happened but on the CPU is there any sign of the contact/slight rubbing or scratching? On the CPU cover, again, are there any signs of the impact?

Hi, yeah, I will need real good magnifying glass for this, Im 46 so the eyes dont focus enough for this sort of work......It appears to be maybe 3 pins bents, a couple bent to met the others, so shouldnt take much to correct, thought they had broken off as couldnt see them...anyway, the CPU is now is the replacement board and running well....strangely enough, i didnt damaged that socket eh?
Will have to wait for another build, as I dont have any SB or IB proc to test with....

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Hi, yeah, I will need real good magnifying glass for this, Im 46 so the eyes dont focus enough for this sort of work......It appears to be maybe 3 pins bents, a couple bent to met the others, so shouldnt take much to correct, thought they had broken off as couldnt see them...anyway, the CPU is now is the replacement board and running well....strangely enough, i didnt damaged that socket eh?
Will have to wait for another build, as I dont have any SB or IB proc to test with....

I am farsighted and see double vision close up. I think you will be just fine. Get your glasses out and use one eye ball ;) Those pins aren't that bad and I bet once you are done, it will run like a champ.

You will be shifting the motherboard in several different directions to see the pin orientation so take your time and you will do a good job.

Last edited:

npolite

Jun 12, 2009
I have been seeing so may issues with motherboards having bent pins. I think Intel needs to go back and redesign how the CPU interfaces with the motheboard. I never had any issues back in the day with older CPUs where the pins were on the processor.

The only thing I can think of that causes the pins to bend (besides damage in manufacturing) is not installing the processor cap correctly, or an odd chance that the socket bracket that locks the processor in place is somehow getting suck on the pins while closing it up for transport.

I hope you can fix it, I don't know what kind of tolorance these things have.

Good luck with the repair.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
ASRock Pro4-M & i5 3470...new build and not posting with 4x4gb Corsair vengence.....
now this doesnt have a PC speaker, should I still hear a POST signal when booting?

yes the post beep ..... no need for external speaker.

So you cant go to BIOS either uh ? If you here beeps then mobo is not dead.

D:

bankster55

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2010
I would be really curious:
>You bought a mobo from WHAT e-tailer?
Then you sent it back for RMA and they came back and said their supplier said your board has user caused damage?
Never RMA a mobo without videoing the condition of grid and you carefully reinstalling pin protector
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694667

Fwiw the ASUS Z77 have the plastic pin protector on top of the clamp plate and you close the plate (with CPU in) and the pin protector pops out.(or you can manually remove it)
>Does the ASRock still have the protector on top of the LGA grid under the clamp plate?

Early on when I saw how incredibly fragile the 1155 2011 LGA were I just bought a childs dart set at KMart $5. I cut the shaft so that the plate rotating down clears it and stick the neoprene tip in the center of CPU, easily lower it to socket, clamp CPU and slide dart off sideways

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I would be really curious:
>You bought a mobo from WHAT e-tailer?
Then you sent it back for RMA and they came back and said their supplier said your board has user caused damage?
Never RMA a mobo without videoing the condition of grid and you carefully reinstalling pin protector
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694667

Fwiw the ASUS Z77 have the plastic pin protector on top of the clamp plate and you close the plate (with CPU in) and the pin protector pops out.(or you can manually remove it)
>Does the ASRock still have the protector on top of the LGA grid under the clamp plate?

Early on when I saw how incredibly fragile the 1155 2011 LGA were I just bought a childs dart set at KMart $5. I cut the shaft so that the plate rotating down clears it and stick the neoprene tip in the center of CPU, easily lower it to socket, clamp CPU and slide dart off sideways

You know what mate, I wondered about this myself, and damn hindsite really pisses you off sometimes, cause when I removed that CPU, I didn't see any damage.....well, I'm sure such would stick out like a sore thumb, but what am I to do, silly me, I should of photoed the socket or board before return.....

I have since borrowed high magnifying glasses and done my best to correct the damage, I guess I won't know until I get another 1150 CPU, but if it's fixed and still doesn't work, is it the socket or original faulty board....I guess it's only a cheap board and my boss said to me, well, it only cost your hourly rate, so don't spend too much time on it...lol....

Damn, but I'm a wee bit impatience to see if its a viable board now!

Cheers everyone for your support...I have to say I really am enjoying the replacement board, it's running so sweet....the fast boot is awesome, and a 4ghz 4 core IB non k is sweet.....

bankster55

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2010
Those pins were really wacked
Could happen by putting CPU in wrong way (not seated) and closing lockplate
You may have an issue because you introduced new tension on them and with heat they may move around after a while while in use.

I use a headband with lighted magnifier and two largish sewing needles.

http://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Light...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

But you missed my most important question - I am trying to figure out if certain vendors are doing this on purpose:
WHAT E-TAILER sent your mobo back???????????