Info New 5950x box for DC ** Its live now ! See the bottom for details. **

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Amazons spammer price for the 5950x has come down from $2000 (the high I think) to $1248... Do you think they know that the $800 retail ones are coming soon, and trying to dump before they don't get their big price ?? The 5900x is at $930.... Even worse compared to retail price IMO
From watching microcenter stock, and getting one myself, I believe several hundred 5950s have made it through microcenter in the last week. If that volume keeps up, there won’t be any money in scalping soon.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
And another price drop, 1229 on Amazon. At this rate it will take a while, but eventually I get it for MSRP

Reactions: Assimilator1

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
And another price drop, 1229 on Amazon. At this rate it will take a while, but eventually I get it for MSRP
Today there were screenshots posted on the [H] of several microcenter stores inventory where both 5900 and 5950s had stock in the 20 range, even after the morning rush had been processed. Might very well be only a matter of days before online starts to have inventory available.

My system ran without leaks overnight, so I’m finishing wiring up components and will hopefully start OS installation sometime today.

Last edited:

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
My 5950 is running fully stock at the moment, except with the ram running at 3600mhz / 1800IF (4000 with matching IF speed wouldn't boot and I didn't bother trying to troubleshoot). Just downloaded WCG and figured I would let it run that until I have some time to actually play with the new system, instead of doing it between meetings.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, the 5950x is now $1099 at Amazon, the drop continues... Wonder what they know ? MSRP coming soon ?

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Seems like stock is increasing. Hopefully by the end of the month the unicorns will land!

Though the new Threadrippers sound tempting. And the new Epyc, though I need my newest box for hobby and fun money production when the Covid diminishes.

Sounds like all electronics going up in price soon from tariffs again...

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I broke down and got a 3900x for $350 in FS/FT, so only one 5950x coming.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Keep searching! Wow, that's insane. I got a new unopened in box 5950x for $920 from a member on Dec. 20th. It sounds like a high premium, but for me, it was $800 MSRP + 10% tax and shipping ($880). So I ended up with a very small increase. Then I got a Geforce 3080 from another member.

My build is a bit more complicated because it is two machines in one box (P600S). 5950x, 64GB Ram, Moctua D15S + 3080, then an ITX Intel 9700 with 32GB w/ a 1060TI and is using a Corsair AIO H80. Going to be a beast of a computer, but I need to finish it up in the next day or two. Also picked up (3) LG 4K 60hz monitors and a 4K 55" TCL TV for a "preview monitor".

It's a shame that people are charging 1k+ for a 5950x. Hopefully supplies pick up in the next couple of months and all this ridiculous pricing stops.

Reactions: Assimilator1

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Wow, veeery nice.
How so? I work in video production and this isn't for gaming. Anything over 60hz is a complete and utter waste for my purposes.

EDIT: The monitors wasn't really the purpose of the response. I'm just surprised these CPUs are still going for so high. It's a shame the production is so low! These are great CPUs.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
How so? I work in video production and this isn't for gaming. Anything over 60hz is a complete and utter waste for my purposes.

EDIT: The monitors wasn't really the purpose of the response. I'm just surprised these CPUs are still going for so high. It's a shame the production is so low! These are great CPUs.
I'll say that I do some (mostly) audio and video production with a few local friends. Not so much now as a hobby, but enough before Covid and hope to get back to it after... My cheap TLC 4K 43" has been great, but only 60hz.

I recently was sent some pro-8k video. Such a ton of data..... and pushes any editing to the limits. I am trying for better cpu and video cards, but not willing to pay over MSRP.

Sorry for the thread redirect. Though I watch this sub-forum as I do let some CPU and GPU time / heat to the causes when it makes sense.

Stay safe everyone!

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I'll say that I do some (mostly) audio and video production with a few local friends. Not so much now as a hobby, but enough before Covid and hope to get back to it after... My cheap TLC 4K 43" has been great, but only 60hz.

I recently was sent some pro-8k video. Such a ton of data..... and pushes any editing to the limits. I am trying for better cpu and video cards, but not willing to pay over MSRP.

Sorry for the thread redirect. Though I watch this sub-forum as I do let some CPU and GPU time / heat to the causes when it makes sense.

Stay safe everyone!
8K is an entirely different beast. Our cameras are 4K and that is the highest I have to worry about. That said, 4k is a major pain to edit and can require quite the bandwidth and any motion effects can bring most computers to its knees.

I didn't realize this until i needed to work on a huge tradeshow display that was 4k. Holy cow, it eats After Effects like it's nothing! So much time spent rendering.

Anyways, that said, I do have 3 4K displays and that's how I want to work. But most everything is still 1080p, even if I shoot everything in 4k. More future looking and massive displays, than everyday work. I've never worked with 8k footage. Hopefully not for years!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Keep searching! Wow, that's insane. I got a new unopened in box 5950x for $920 from a member on Dec. 20th. It sounds like a high premium, but for me, it was $800 MSRP + 10% tax and shipping ($880). So I ended up with a very small increase. Then I got a Geforce 3080 from another member.

My build is a bit more complicated because it is two machines in one box (P600S). 5950x, 64GB Ram, Moctua D15S + 3080, then an ITX Intel 9700 with 32GB w/ a 1060TI and is using a Corsair AIO H80. Going to be a beast of a computer, but I need to finish it up in the next day or two. Also picked up (3) LG 4K 60hz monitors and a 4K 55" TCL TV for a "preview monitor".

It's a shame that people are charging 1k+ for a 5950x. Hopefully supplies pick up in the next couple of months and all this ridiculous pricing stops.
Why don't you post in the CPUs Ryzen 5000 thread ? This is my thread for my distributed computing purposes. And anything about your monitors is also OT.

Please stay out of MY thread ! Especially since its all OT. If you do not have a DC box, and are not doing DC, then stay out of this forum, you don't belong here.

Last edited:

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Sorry Mark, I tend to go off topic...

I think your thread is about 5950x and justly so. Best thread waiting to do distributed stuff. At least that is what I am waiting for. Though other apps such as video and audio production tend to push previous processors to close to their max...

The sub-systems are starting to become at times bottle necked also.

Though latency is also still an issue.

I think most use cases that are normal for "home" users are almost satisfied with the latest gen hardware.

Which is cool as I have heard that this was the case over the last 20 years. I can't wait to see what "they" can come up next with - with more / current headroom for newest software use cases!

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I'm just surprised these CPUs are still going for so high. It's a shame the production is so low! These are great CPUs.
Epyc 7003 has not been "launched" by AMD yet, but aren't they already shipping it to big customers, in quantities? These customers were probably already thinking a year ago that these are great CPUs, and placed orders accordingly. (Patrick Kennedy has retail AMD EPYC 7003 in-house and was done benchmarking them mid November. — Edit, production of Epyc 7003 started in September if not earlier, it is shipping to customers, but AMD have deferred the public launch without giving a new date.)

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeTony

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The latest update from B&H customer service is that I will get my 5950x by the end of Feb....

arg !!!

• Wow
Reactions: thecoolnessrune

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
How do you get these updates, Mark? My order page simply says 'backordered'. Email?

Ah, I apparantly still use an old email for BandH, found it:

"I hope this email finds you well. I realize that you are anxious to receive your AMD gear soon or at least gain an understanding as to when you might expect that to happen. Unfortunately, the latest update we received from AMD does not give us more of an exact shipping timeframe. All we know is that they expect we will receive more inventory over the course of the first quarter of 2021. Based on when you placed your order, we hope to fulfill your order by the end of February. We will keep you updated as more information becomes available. This is currently the most up-to-date information we have."

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I ordered a 3080 and a 5950x from shopblt.com. shmee said they were good, and the ETA to ship the CPU is 2/5, and the video card on 1/28. We will see.

Reactions: Endgame124