Neverending Rock Band DLC Thread

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Pheran, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Next week's DLC is a little unusual - Harmonix is re-releasing a number of Green Day tracks that were previously available as part of the Green Day: Rock Band export, plus the new Green Day single "Oh Love". I find this mildly annoying since I've already exported Green Day, so that's effectively one new track for me. But, I have plenty of back catalog to look at because of the huge pre-RB3 DLC sale that's going on, so I can't complain too much.

2. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Gah, this sale is insane. I finally got my points (25% off!) but it's taking forever to go through the catalog and I already bought 37 songs. Yeesh! :)

3. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

Are you doing it through the xbox.com website? I imagine that would be faster and it will automatically queue it to your main 360.

4. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

No, I'm doing it through RB3, but that has nothing to do with it taking forever - it's just taking forever for me to sample the songs I'm not familiar with. :)

5. Termie

Termie Diamond Member

Do what I do - browse on xbox.com, sample on Amazon! The RB3 store is painfully slow.

6. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

I find the RB3 store much more convenient. But, as I was trying to say, it had nothing to do with the speed of the technology I was using, it was simply time listening to music.

7. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Stupid me, I've had the OP updated since Friday but then got distracted and forgot to bump with the announcement. Up on Tuesday is a 3-pack of the band 311. Apparently this bad was popular in the 90s, but somehow I've never heard of them.

8. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Heading back to the 80s next week with tracks from Billy Squier and A Flock of Seagulls! One of my childhood memories was one of our local radio DJs locking himself in the studio and playing "Everybody Wants You" over and over again until they finally threw him out of there. More than likely it was a faked publicity stunt for the radio station, but it was still funny.

9. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Well, I have really mixed feelings about next week. Come on Eileen is such a great 80s song, but we're getting a cover. It's not a bad cover at all, but it's just not the original either. Undecided about that one, but I'll probably get the Sheryl Crow track at least.

10. Termie

Termie Diamond Member

Hmmm, that version of Come on Eileen is a little annoying. Too bad.

Sheryl Crow is a big win - what a solid song.

11. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Another mixed feelings week for me - Chicago is definitely a classic band, but I would have made some different song choices (Saturday in the Park for example). Plus, I like "If You Leave Me Now", but I'm not too sure it's actually a song I want to play in Rock Band - it's straying a little too far into the "easy listening" category for that.

12. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Next week a Sublime 3-pack hits Rock Band with a couple of their biggest hits - Santeria and What I Got. Not bad, but I'm putting this in my "might buy later" pile.

13. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Another new artist for Rock Band next week - Dave Matthews Band with a 3-pack. Ants Marching is pretty well known, but people are wondering where the heck "Crash" is? Anyway, another band for my "maybe later" pile.

An interesting side note here is that DMB was one of the featured bands in the failed game "Power Gig". Hopefully this means that whatever exclusivity agreements existed for Power Gig are now gone, because Eric Clapton was another featured Power Gig artist, and he would be a huge win for Rock Band.

14. Termie

Termie Diamond Member

DMB is actually a pretty good match for Rock Band. Lots of fun songs to jam on.

Ants Marching is one of my least favorite of all of their songs though...

Didn't know they had a new album, so I just had a listen to Mercy and the whole album. Pretty good, pretty much old school DMB...but Mercy is way too slow for Rock Band, unfortunately.

15. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

OK, two different DLC bits coming next week. First, some 80s deliciousness with Kenny Loggins! Those are instant buys for me. Then, HMX is releasing the rest of the tracks that were available on Green Day: Rock Band as DLC, including two new pro guitar upgrades for "American Idiot" and "When I Come Around". So, if you never got GD : RB, you can now pick and choose any songs or albums you like.

Everybody cut, everybody cut! :)

16. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

In honor of the 5th anniversary of Rock Band (released 11/20/2007), HMX is releasing 6 singles spanning 6 decades of music. I'm blown away, because this list has something for everyone. There's the fantastic 70s instrumental "Jessica" (which appeared in Guitar Hero 2), the ever-popular "I Melt With You" (an 80s hit later used in Burger King and Hershey's commercials), Nine Inch Nails, Dragonforce, you name it! And if all that wasn't enough, RBN is bringing us John Parr's hit, "St Elmo's Fire". Amazing week!

17. Termie

Termie Diamond Member

Oh, wow - I Melt With You - great track for RB. Might pick that one up...

18. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Heads up Xbox players, Rock Band Blitz is now on sale for half off (600 MSP) for the Xbox Live Holiday Sale. That's 25, count 'em, 25 Rock Band songs for a measly $7.50, plus a full arcade game!

19. Termie

Termie Diamond Member

Was Jessie's Girl not in any other Rock Band game? Man, I'd jump on it just for that, but I only have 550 points...shoot! Is there an easy way to add only a few points? I'm not really interested in investing a bunch more in RB, unfortunately...

20. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

I think the minimum you can add is 400 points ($5) using Xbox.com. And yes, Jessie's Girl is only included with Blitz.

21. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Early announcement this week due to Thanksgiving, and dare I say it, it's Call Me Maybe. I know people will grumble, but I'm getting this immediately because my daughter will love it. :) There's also the 90s grunge hit "Sex and Candy" to keep it company.

22. Termie

Termie Diamond Member

Thanks - I can probably spare $5 for 25 new songs...and yup, I'm in. Bought Blitz, thanks again for the tip.

As for Call Me Maybe...you know, that's a fun song to listen to, but I don't think the instrumental parts will be very interesting...

Kind of like my failed experiment in Lady Gaga RB songs...

#572 Termie, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  23. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

The Black Crowes are up next week with a 3-pack. Not bad, I'll at least get She Talks to Angels.

24. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Since we are coming into December and the holidays, I'd like to point out two brand new holiday songs available on RBN:

Distant Autumn - The Christmas Song (Live)
    Richard Campbell - Rock the Halls

Back catalog holiday songs:

Cate Sparks - Angels We Have Heard On High
    John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War is Over)
    Jonathan Coulton - Chiron Beta Prime
    Richard Campbell - A Christmas Rock Medley

There's also the Rockin' the Holidays 2008 3-pack, but I don't care too much for the songs in it (never bought it).

25. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

Next week the Toadies make their debut in Rock Band. For Guitar Hero 2 players, Possum Kingdom is a big nostalgia track - I'll probably get it for that reason.