Never quite (completely) happy with my PC purchases...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
I don't know if anyone else feels this way.

I buy lots of different stuff, because I'm never quite satisfied with the PC parts I have. But maybe that's because I mainly play in the budget-build pool.

But then again, if I bought a 5820K, X99, DDR4, I might not be satisfied either, but I would be out a lot more money.

Gawd I know this feeling... it's a delicate balancing act between "awesome" and "money".

If I spend a little and get something just "good enough" I regret not having something cooler and more fun.
If I spend more and get something awesome, I get buyer's remorse over how much something cost... almost as if the ex-wife still exists in my head and tells me I spent too much on a "toy" when there's more important things to spend money on. :(

My magic remedy seems to be to get the best deal on hardware physically possible! No regrets!

Dell Latitude laptop, normally $850 for $650 straight from Dell.
Intel i7-920 rig, sans hard drive, not even $100.
New i7-4790k rig, pricematched to $600 after tax and extra warranty on the mobo. I can sell off the 920 system for close to $300 to make up some of the cost.
If I'm not getting a GREAT deal, it won't overcome the guilt of spending very hard-earned cash. ;)

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
I assume you are talking about that winbook tablet. I picked up one today as well. I got the 60.00 one, new. Aside from getting aggravated with Win 8, trying to set up accounts and such, I am impressed with it as well. I have to say, as I expected, it is worlds better than the Acer android tablet I paid 200.00 for a couple of years ago.

The only problem I have had so far is that it does not recognize when I insert an SD card. The card is an old one that I had in an android tablet, so perhaps it is not formatted correctly. I was tempted to go for the 2gb ram model, but seemed too expensive compared to the cheap one. Really, to get a tablet for the price of a tank of gas (edit: well, a tank of gas before the prices went down. lol) or a night out is just unbelievable.

Indeed that is the one. I'll be honest I got a little frustrated as well with the account issue, but have come to realize they just wanted it to be like android, IOS, etc. I really wouldn't care for my main PC rig's account to be tied to the internet in that fashion, however. (Win7 user)

I wanted to go with the 2gb model too, but I am glad I didn't because I don't think I would have even needed the extra resources. It has full 8.1, free office, plays 1080p video, hdmi, usb, runs Office really well, etc. It has about 2gb of space left on the HD but I am not even sure what I would fill that up with. My SD card slot seems to be working though. (Purchased an 8gb for $4.99 at MC) So in that sense I am glad I didn't spend the extra money on the tablet with higher specs. They did have a couple of open box 10" ones for $150 I believe which would be pretty nice IMO.

You're dead on about the value. I live in Chicago so the price point couldn't have been better for the entertainment I will get out of it. My gf probably has about 5-6 hours of Sudoku on it already as well, so she's even loving it. The app store is somewhat disappointing with it's selection but I reckon that'll probably change now that WinTabs are being pushed out to the masses. The interface is awesome! (horizontal scrolling for info) I can get Seinfeld on Crackle which makes me extremely happy. lol

I think for an enthusiast it is key to have a main, beastly rig that can do anything and everything you want it to. Everything else, like these little tablets, is just cake.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The problem is simple. If you're trying to fill a void in your life with computer hardware, you'll never be satisfied. Nothing materialistic will ever be perfect or make you happy no matter what. Just take a look at Hollywood.

This is true. I really miss my ex-GF. I think I buy hardware to "fill the hole", but no-one can fill it but her.

Berliner

Nov 10, 2013
www.kamerahelden.de
This is true. I really miss my ex-GF. I think I buy hardware to "fill the hole", but no-one can fill it but her.

You will find someone or something to fill your hole.

Don't try to do it with computer hardware.

Really, don't.

Just get any decent computer that is intended for the purpose you want to use it for.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Larry, not trying to derail your thread, but defending your DC attitude and contribution.

Thank you Mark. I appreciate the support. Some people don't understand DC, they only understand things that directly benefit them. But who knows, perhaps DC provide a breakthrough that directly affects their life. There have been some breakthroughs due to DC. It may be a bit of a brute-force way to solve difficult problems, but it can also provide solutions that would otherwise basically be impossible, or impossibly-expensive (paying for building / using a SuperComputer).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Believe it or not, but I was already contemplating a couple of ITX builds with those parts. I've been looking at that ITX board, it has all solid caps, I was also thinking of re-using my G3258 CPUs until I could afford a pair of i3s.

Unfortunately, I really, really, like that case I linked earlier in the thread, the iStarUSA case, and will likely refrain from any further ITX builds until I can find another source for them.

The other iStarUSA case that was similar that was linked in this thread (by you?), has a metal section for mounting a slim DVD drive and 2.5" HDD, that reviews mentioned interfere with a standard Intel stock heatsink on an ITX board. So that's out.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
You should stop looking at starting cost of hardware and instead focus on the cost of ownership as that is the real cost of hardware.

MC had the iPad Air for $299 this year. Purchase that and use it for 5 years, sell it later for $100. Cost of ownership is only $40 a year.

Same with CPUs. Let's say I got my 2500K and Mobo for $400. In 5 years even if I can sell it for $150, it cost me only $50 a year. For MC users an i5 4690K and a mobo can easily be purchased for $300. That means even if you sell those for $100, cost of ownership per year is $40. Corsair H90 cooler was $44-45 recently, or $5 a year.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7502366-cor...d-cpu-cooler-44-after-30-rebate-free-shipping

There you go it costs $85-100 in total a year to own a high end tablet and a high end CPU in overclocked form of you have a solid case/PSU/cooler. Buy a good case, PSU and those will last 10-15 years. Lots of EVGA Gold or Seasonic PSUs on sale at great prices regularly.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7502368-evg...ear-warranty-69-99-after-rebate-free-shipping

There was a $40 240GB OCZ Arc SSD deal this week too. If you want a MiniITX for some reason, you will have to pay a large premium for the PSU, case, mobo.

Also, you should have joined Bitcoin mining for 5 years. Now you wouldn't have to spend any $ for at least 10 years on hardware. I am not sure how a DC user managed to miss Bitcoin mining really since the 2 are interrelated in that you could have used AMD GPU's profits to pay for electricity costs and buy more AMD/NV hardware for
DC projects.

Last edited:

eton975

Jun 2, 2014
Wow. Mega kudos for finding that, thanks. I'll try to snag a couple in the next few days.

Edit: Ships in 7-10 days... which means that they don't actually stock that item, it's drop-shipped from the disty, if it's available.

Is 7-10 day shipping a problem?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You should stop looking at starting cost of hardware and instead focus on the cost of ownership as that is the real cost of hardware.

MC had the iPad Air for $299 this year. Purchase that and use it for 5 years, sell it later for $100. Cost of ownership is only $40 a year.

Same with CPUs. Let's say I got my 2500K and Mobo for $400. In 5 years even if I can sell it for $150, it cost me only $50 a year. For MC users an i5 4690K and a mobo can easily be purchased for $300. That means even if you sell those for $100, cost of ownership per year is $40. Corsair H90 cooler was $44-45 recently, or $5 a year.
No offense RS, but I think that you are being wildly optomistic about selling things in five years. I've tried to flip a brand-new Sandy Bridge i3 3.4Ghz rig I bought for $180 (list $400), and I can't find a buyer locally. I also have an Ivy Bridge i3 3.4Ghz rig that I upgraded to 8GB RAM and an aftermarket PSU. (I was planning on making it a gaming / DC rig, but AMD's drivers kept giving me problems. That, or the mobo in that rig is flaky. I don't know for sure, other than it didn't get along with my HIS 7790 1GB card.) Paid $330, list is $500 before the upgrades, and I can't find a buyer for that one either. At this point, I would accept what I paid for them. (Edit: Basically, desktops are dead. Nobody wants them. And no-one is going to want a used and worn out desktop mobo and CPU in five years.)

Also, you should have joined Bitcoin mining for 5 years. Now you wouldn't have to spend any $ for at least 10 years on hardware. I am not sure how a DC user managed to miss Bitcoin mining really since the 2 are interrelated in that you could have used AMD GPU's profits to pay for electricity costs and buy more AMD/NV hardware for
DC projects.

Easy to say in hindsight, now that Bitcoin has taken off. Plenty of AltCoins rode the BitCoin wave, got popular, and now many of them are dead in the water.

And BitCoin is the antithesis of DC users. DC is about doing real research, BitCoin is ... well, basically greed.

And I didn't have the money for high-end AMD cards, remember, the R290/290X debuted at a much higher price than they are currently going for. Only after the mining bubble burst, did the prices go down.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I will ask... do you think you'll be satisfied after having built this PC?

I don't know. But it will be something new to play with for a week or so. :p

Seriously though, they would allow me to get rid of my desktop ATX PCs, if I so choose, and my N2830 laptops, which would be nice.

eton975

Jun 2, 2014
I don't know. But it will be something new to play with for a week or so. :p

Seriously though, they would allow me to get rid of my desktop ATX PCs, if I so choose, and my N2830 laptops, which would be nice.

Not trying to be mean... but why'd you buy two laptops?

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
#2. Computers are getting faster much more slowly than they used to. Used to be if I could wait a whole year to upgrade a computer, I could tell a big difference. Now I can wait three years, and it's still much harder to tell. So it's a long wait, and expecting a bit more glamor than I actually receive.
You'll only notice the speed difference if you actually have a use for it.

Last year I upgraded from a P35+C2D E6550+HD4890 to a Z87+i5 4670K+GTX760 and the speed difference is phenomenal. I wasn't THAT big a boost in the boot up time and doing menial tasks on windows, it was definitely noticeable, but the real difference is in gaming and in heavy duty stuff (like photoshop, rendering, compressing, that sort of stuff).

Of course, when I installed the 840 EVO SSD, then it brought the whole to a unity, and the whole computer is hugely fast.

I do agree with you that if I bought a new computer today, a year later, I wouldn't feel much of a difference. Specially considering that, for the same price, I wouldn't get much of an improvement... It's still pretty much at the same price, unfortunately. But in a couple more years? I'm willing to bet that, at least in the graphics card side I'll feel a huge difference, as I always have.

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
It's cool that you're pushing the lower end products to their limits. Having said that, you've gotta expect limitations from those products. Some of the things you're trying to do (like trying to use a tablet as a desktop replacement) is daring; but, it should be expected to fail. I think the main problem with a lot of these lower end products is the lack of multi-tasking capabilities. From what I've been reading from the OP's threads, that's what's being done here. Trying to multi-task with those devices is beyond the scope of their initial function.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Indeed that is the one. I'll be honest I got a little frustrated as well with the account issue, but have come to realize they just wanted it to be like android, IOS, etc. I really wouldn't care for my main PC rig's account to be tied to the internet in that fashion, however. (Win7 user)

I wanted to go with the 2gb model too, but I am glad I didn't because I don't think I would have even needed the extra resources. It has full 8.1, free office, plays 1080p video, hdmi, usb, runs Office really well, etc. It has about 2gb of space left on the HD but I am not even sure what I would fill that up with. My SD card slot seems to be working though. (Purchased an 8gb for $4.99 at MC) So in that sense I am glad I didn't spend the extra money on the tablet with higher specs. They did have a couple of open box 10" ones for $150 I believe which would be pretty nice IMO.

You're dead on about the value. I live in Chicago so the price point couldn't have been better for the entertainment I will get out of it. My gf probably has about 5-6 hours of Sudoku on it already as well, so she's even loving it. The app store is somewhat disappointing with it's selection but I reckon that'll probably change now that WinTabs are being pushed out to the masses. The interface is awesome! (horizontal scrolling for info) I can get Seinfeld on Crackle which makes me extremely happy. lol

I think for an enthusiast it is key to have a main, beastly rig that can do anything and everything you want it to. Everything else, like these little tablets, is just cake.

Accouny issue is easy to bypass. Just turn on the tablet without enabling WiFi. No need to sign up for an MS account now. It'll just prompt for a local account.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Quit worrying about the latest and greatest. I'm running a fx6300 stock and am happy.

You need to read the thread. I don't blame you for assuming this is the issue, since 9/10 times that would be a safe assumption in a tech forum, but this is not quite one of those times.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
RussianSensation is insightful to look at this from perspective of a "time-stream" of money, expense or cost.

That's why, in my upgrade plans for other computers in the house, I don't need Gen 4. My Bro' games on his PS/3 -- his computer is "all bidnis."

Mom endangers the household network and file server with her obsession about Publisher's Clearinghouse, like Ellen Burstyn in Darren Aronofsky's "Requiem for a Dream." "I'm going to be on the SHOW!! I'm going to WIN!!" I think there's more malware risk from the PCH site and their e-mails than any other.

Neither of them want the inconvenience of hardware switchovers now. I need: (1) to replace my server in a year's time; and (2) replace those LGA-775's as inclination and opportunity permit.

I've seen some people get by just fine on a 10-year-old Win-98 system, before they gave it to me for scrap (great case-modding parts!). I know other folks who can talk to you about ring-cracks in solder, the lower limits of PLL voltage settings and a range of topics. But they're still rocking Windows XP and VISTA on LGA-775 systems.

If you're the household IT-guy, YOU have to deal with the ring-cracks, diagnostics and parts replacement. YOU have to worry about the PCH gremlins. But if they're happy with XP or VISTA -- then -- they're happy.

I keep a noticeable buffer of spare parts -- with plans for minor projects over a year's time. But it's about stocks and flows of money, and stocks and flows of parts.