Networking Mess - Advice needed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Thanks kevnich2. I don't think it will work with our company to go the MSP route (if what I gather from what you are saying, it is a company you sign up with for IT services)... I think the only option for now would be the IT contractor. And only hope that if I can get one in, it will fix the issues permanently or at least while I am here.. heh :D

You don't have to sign a continuous agreement, if you don't want to. You can hire an MSP on a one time basis. They do usually give you deals and specials to sign on a contract basis once your situation is fixed and its generally a good idea as it gives you a contact for any IT support issues at a reduced cost. It again goes with how much tech your company uses and how long can it afford to be "down".

Doing things yourself is fine in your home, but in a business where things being down or not configured correctly can cause loss of revenue, possible regulatory issues, not-compliance issues, etc. It simply isn't worth it not to have an outside contract company that handles it for you. But every company is different with amount of risk they're willing to assume.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
You really need to separate that other company off your equipment. Can you post a network diagram that includes the IP's of all the devices and it's different interfaces? With a proper setup, you'd have multiple static IP's from your ISP which then feeds a dedicated router which distributes those to two firewalls, one for company 1 and one for company 2, then you hook your switches to the LAN port of your firewalls. But again, company 2 really needs to get it's own connection.

Also - from what's been posted, the problem your having is with wired devices attached to your nortel switch? Correct? If so, replace the switch with something a bit more recent. Nortel has been out of business for awhile now.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Another thing - where do these various router's come into play? You mentioned there's two different company's using the network (Although from the looks of your OP, there's technically like 3 different networks in play here)? How does company 1 devices connect and where do company 2 devices connect to?

Your network really needs to be scrapped and all new equipment put in, following my post above to keep both networks separated but still using the same physical ISP connection, which I strongly recommend not using for both companies.

My suggestion if both companies have to use the one connection for whatever reason: Order a block of 5 static IP's from your ISP. The modem/router at this point should be reprogrammed by ISP for the block of static public IP's. Connect your Cisco VPN router to one port and use one of the static IP's. Connect the dlink to another port and use another static IP. Hook your existing switch to the LAN side of the cisco router. Connect all your company 1 devices to the switch, including the server and see if things get better, if not, get a new switch in place for company 1.

The dlink will then be used by company 2 and they can hook whatever they want to it.