Netflix - Making a Murderer

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Anyone else get annoyed with the "dramatizations" of the court room reporters? The attorneys and DA would answer questions in 480p resolution then it would cut to the court room reporters looking frustrated and confused in 1080p. They were clearly actors/actresses.

lol. Those were the reporters. Its just different cameras. The whole doc happened over such a long time that the quality was constantly changing.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Someone should do an edited version of this series where they cut out about 2 hours worth of the pointless junkyard panorama scenes. It would have made it a lot more interesting to watch.

Sep 29, 2004
Someone should do an edited version of this series where they cut out about 2 hours worth of the pointless junkyard panorama scenes. It would have made it a lot more interesting to watch.

Epsidoes 2-7(or 8) should have been 2-5. The follow up crap could have been one episode.

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
Crazy stuff. A few thoughts.

I don't get the argument that he was "too dumb" to clean up the crime scene. Certainly it would be arduous, and by some reasoning impossible, but it hardly requires any tremendous mental capacity. What am I missing here?

Soap, water, and bleach isn't enough to clean up blood. There is an interesting read below about using bleach to clean up a crime scene.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMurderer/comments/3yu8ak/what_you_probably_dont_know_about_bleach/

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

I saw some cars in that junkyard I would love to get my hands on to restore.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Yeah, hub cap thieves, ignition coil fetishists, and lug, ummmm, nuts. D:

Not to mention rusted craps, toxic fluids, wildlife that might have taken refuge in the disposed cars... yuck! I'd make sure I would have at least tetanus shot and gloves before I venture into that junkyard. D:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Not to mention rusted craps, toxic fluids, wildlife that might have taken refuge in the disposed cars... yuck! I'd make sure I would have at least tetanus shot and gloves before I venture into that junkyard. D:

Craps is a dice game, and you're really not as cool as you think you are misusing a collective singular noun.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Soap, water, and bleach isn't enough to clean up blood. There is an interesting read below about using bleach to clean up a crime scene.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMurderer/comments/3yu8ak/what_you_probably_dont_know_about_bleach/
I thought that the good thing about chlorine bleach, for a criminal, is that it also fluoresces under uv light. So if you have a blood spot, you can cover it with a larger chlorine spot and investigators can't tell the difference.

i guess what he's saying is that since it doesn't destroy hemoglobin, you can still detect that blood was there from the hemoglobin but nothing else. The chlorine should denature any DNA but not sure if that makes it undetectable.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Craps is a dice game, and you're really not as cool as you think you are misusing a collective singular noun.

I'm Asian, I like to pluralize stuffs...

You're never cool if you don't pull that stick out of your grammatical bunghole.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Anyone else get annoyed with the "dramatizations" of the court room reporters? The attorneys and DA would answer questions in 480p resolution then it would cut to the court room reporters looking frustrated and confused in 1080p. They were clearly actors/actresses.

who were actors/actresses??

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
it's not clear based on the only article i could find about how they made it

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/21/a...on-netflix.html?mtrref=query.nytimes.com&_r=1

generally speaking, the family would be signing over rights to the production company and then the production company would sell to NF. So the avery family would not be getting anything directly from NF.
I'd be interested in whether or not they did get any money. From the portrayal, you'd think that they would have jumped at the chance to do it for free if it represented any chance of helping their son. So if they did get paid a significant amount, that would make them look more shifty.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I thought that the good thing about chlorine bleach, for a criminal, is that it also fluoresces under uv light. So if you have a blood spot, you can cover it with a larger chlorine spot and investigators can't tell the difference.

i guess what he's saying is that since it doesn't destroy hemoglobin, you can still detect that blood was there from the hemoglobin but nothing else. The chlorine should denature any DNA but not sure if that makes it undetectable.

Even if hemoglobin was found, without DNA, it is very circumstantial and easily defeated by a decent defense attorney. All the defense has to say is that Avery is a hunter and regularly dressed his game in the garage which he periodically had to clean out as anyone would that dressed game in there. Which then would be a plausible explanation to anything found in the garage.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
People who think he is guilty -- I don't understand. There is so much reasonable doubt here. What evidence are you using to state that he is guilty?

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
People who think he is guilty -- I don't understand. There is so much reasonable doubt here. What evidence are you using to state that he is guilty?

There is obviously a big difference between thinking he *is* guilty versus thinking a jury should have *found* him guilty, which I think is not always being spelled out explicitly in some of these posts.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Just finished the documentary. The DA was obviously 'terrible' at presenting their evidence against Avery and the boy. Even though I think both Avery and the nephew are guilty it was never proven beyond a reasonable doubt in this documentary.

My reasons for Avery being guilty are not that good. But one thing that really bothers me is how a truly innocence man can sit there in court and take it on the chin the way he does. I never seen one single outburst from him even after it was all said and done. If that's me and I'm truly innocent I am going to be raising 10 kinds of hell with very, very strong emotions. I got the opposite from Avery it was more like I hope they don't find out.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I just watched the 30 minute interview with Avery's ex-gf. I would say this interview is possible the most damning evidence against him compared to anything Kratz said.

However, there are things about it that make you wonder if she isn't getting paid to say it after all this time. She could have come forward when he was in jail. No one would care if she just said "I think he's innocent". This has much more impact and attention....but...I will say her interview seems sincere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTz673OMTF0

And yea... I honestly can't say if he is guilty or not, and my thoughts on Steven and Brenden differ between the two. What I do think is that nearly everything about that community is horrible.

Last edited: