Netflix - Making a Murderer

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
The most shocking part is brendan trial.
No technical evidence only a garbage conviction.
Everyone can read the pages.
We have seen the shocking vids. For me its incredible.
The best drama ever on tv. Fantastic.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Just finished the series. Very slanted.. but I believe there was enough reasonable doubt to not convict.

I still don't know how they never looked at the ex or brother as possible suspects. They seemed super fishy from the start.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
So about that 'unreleased evidence' against Steve, those 'leg irons' aren't 'leg irons' at all:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMurderer/comments/3zwbwq/leg_irons/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3psQSTN8m8&feature=youtu.be&t=261

Bunch of liars!

Edit: no blood on these furry 'leg irons' either! I would imagine removing blood from those would be very difficult.

ugh this is what I hate about this shit. one side says something, the other side responds, and it's back and forth with bullshit until the facts come out sometime later, but by then everyone has formed an opinion on untrue pieces of information. just went back to the reddit page to grab the pink furry pic and it's been updated to say that those were found in barb's house, and there is a new video/pic of steven's, which are just plain metal. I wish people were more responsible posting all this shit

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
There isn't much in the 'left out' evidence that sways my opinion more towards guilt. What did for you?
My comment wasn't about any undisclosed evidence but the mere fact that any Manitowoc personnel were involved in the investigation. Everyone know that they had very deliberately set Avery up for rape and that it cost him 18 years of his life. So they shouldn't have been within a light year of this case. I think that's enough to raise suspicion about any physical evidence that was found.

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
So this may have been covered already but what I can't figure out is how Steven with an IQ of 70 was supposedly able to clean blood/brain/dna from everything(several stabbings/slashing of her throat, moving her between the vehicle, house, garage, and up-to 11 bullet wounds) in the house/garage where ever they claim he committed the murder but somehow left a key(that he cleaned of everything but his own DNA) and bullet laying around that took them months of find in fairly plain sight? I don't know that the guy is innocent but given the involvement of a police dept after they admitted a conflict of interest and has clear motive to incriminate him it's hard to say he's guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if that 36m would have effected the whole state and moving the trial to a neighboring county probably wasn't that much more fair because that lawsuit could have hurt them as much as the county being sued. If not exoneration, he should at very least get a re-trial with none of the evidence that Manitowoc County Sheriff's dept was involved in collecting.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
My comment wasn't about any undisclosed evidence but the mere fact that any Manitowoc personnel were involved in the investigation. Everyone know that they had very deliberately set Avery up for rape and that it cost him 18 years of his life. So they shouldn't have been within a light year of this case. I think that's enough to raise suspicion about any physical evidence that was found.

I was asking about your change of opinion on Avery being more guilty than you thought before, unless I misunderstood.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I was asking about your change of opinion on Avery being more guilty than you thought before, unless I misunderstood.
No, I don't think he's guilty. I think the only evidence incriminating him was planted by the police.

Now if the Manitowoc County Sheriffs had kept their noses out of this case and it was just the neighboring county involved in the investigation, I would be much less likely to believe that this was a conspiracy. But it had already been demonstrated once that the prosecution and judges are happy to work together to get the "right" result.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
So this may have been covered already but what I can't figure out is how Steven with an IQ of 70 was supposedly able to clean blood/brain/dna from everything(several stabbings/slashing of her throat, moving her between the vehicle, house, garage, and up-to 11 bullet wounds) in the house/garage where ever they claim he committed the murder but somehow left a key(that he cleaned of everything but his own DNA) and bullet laying around that took them months of find in fairly plain sight? I don't know that the guy is innocent but given the involvement of a police dept after they admitted a conflict of interest and has clear motive to incriminate him it's hard to say he's guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if that 36m would have effected the whole state and moving the trial to a neighboring county probably wasn't that much more fair because that lawsuit could have hurt them as much as the county being sued. If not exoneration, he should at very least get a re-trial with none of the evidence that Manitowoc County Sheriff's dept was involved in collecting.

I don't know if this has also been mentioned, but one thing that continues to stand out for me is, if Avery did the murder and then did the whole extensive and meticulous clean up, WHY didn't he use their crusher to eliminate the car?

He might well have committed the murder, but there is so much evidence on so many points -- prosecutorial misconduct, strong motive for police misfeasance and even malfeasance, etc. -- that the jury should never have decided he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Finally, did anyone else see Dassey's lawyer and immediately think of William Macy's Jerry Lundegaard character from Fargo stumbling to explain the car lot discrepancies? :p

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
I don't know if this has also been mentioned, but one thing that continues to stand out for me is, if Avery did the murder and then did the whole extensive and meticulous clean up, WHY didn't he use their crusher to eliminate the car?

They also apparently had an incinerator on site as well which would have been a much better option for destroying a body than a burn pit.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
They also apparently had an incinerator on site as well which would have been a much better option for destroying a body than a burn pit.

Seriously, not using this and the car crusher, which makes no sense when combined with the "fact" of Avery's supposed meticulous crime scene cleaning in his house and garage. And, yeah, that key wasn't planted, was it? :rolleyes:

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
‘Making a Murderer’ petition to free Steven Avery passes 100K threshold for White House response. Cant pardon a state crime

Governor Walker says, Fuck That, Hell No. or something to that effect.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Seriously, not using this and the car crusher, which makes no sense when combined with the "fact" of Avery's supposed meticulous crime scene cleaning in his house and garage. And, yeah, that key wasn't planted, was it? :rolleyes:

There is also an aluminum smelter on the property as well. Might as well use a bonfire to burn a body though.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Listening to whoever that was (prosecutor) be astonished that someone could actually call a cop dirty was intensely irritating.

I believe that was Norm Gahn, "Special Prosecutor". He used the term "blood boiled" when discussing the defense teams argument.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
There is also an aluminum smelter on the property as well. Might as well use a bonfire to burn a body though.
thats what doen't make sense? Wouldn't a smelter sufficiently cremate a body ( turn bones to powdery ash ... so they couldn't id who/what the remains are?

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
That's something else that didn't make any sense. From what I could understand, they burned the woman in a steel barrel. How do you do that w/o dismembering someone? And even if you could do it that way, how much flammable material would you need to roast an entire body down to just bone?

Every time I've seen a funeral pyre, you have about a cord of wood and it's placed UNDER the body. I don't know how much the woman weighed but figure if she was around 100-120lbs, that's still a lot of flesh to burn.

And they keep calling it a bonfire but really it was a fire in a steel barrel. Even with sufficient ventilation via holes in the bottom, you're still going to have a hard time getting a roaring flame unless there's also some sort of accelerant like gasoline, oil or something else.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
I really wonder how "poor" the Avery's really are or at least as poor the show made them appear. Seems as if they have lots of equipment ( tractors ,car crusher, vehicle lifts etc.)at the salvage yard that seems somewhat valuable plus the yard is 40 acres (30 of which appear to be bumper to bumper scrap cars which just in scrap valu must be worth a good chunk of change.

Feb 10, 2000
That's something else that didn't make any sense. From what I could understand, they burned the woman in a steel barrel. How do you do that w/o dismembering someone? And even if you could do it that way, how much flammable material would you need to roast an entire body down to just bone?

Every time I've seen a funeral pyre, you have about a cord of wood and it's placed UNDER the body. I don't know how much the woman weighed but figure if she was around 100-120lbs, that's still a lot of flesh to burn.

And they keep calling it a bonfire but really it was a fire in a steel barrel. Even with sufficient ventilation via holes in the bottom, you're still going to have a hard time getting a roaring flame unless there's also some sort of accelerant like gasoline, oil or something else.

I believe the fire pit in which the bones were found was separate from, but adjoining, the burn barrel (where Haibach's phone and camera were found).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I don't understand why everyone is trying to use the phone and camera in the burn barrel as additional evidence. One would assume she had those items on her person, and one way or the other would have been in the same place as her body. Especially if framed.

It would be very interesting to know who deleted messages. My understanding of the time frame was after she was missing...but assuming the 'stalking' theories are correct, those messages could have been from Avery and Theresa herself deleted them after listening to them.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I don't understand why everyone is trying to use the phone and camera in the burn barrel as additional evidence. One would assume she had those items on her person, and one way or the other would have been in the same place as her body. Especially if framed.

It would be very interesting to know who deleted messages. My understanding of the time frame was after she was missing...but assuming the 'stalking' theories are correct, those messages could have been from Avery and Theresa herself deleted them after listening to them.

Dude, didn't you know heat that can incinerate bodies to the bone isn't enough to burn purse, phone and camera? Because super intelligent criminal that is capable of ridding the crime scene of any DNA evidence, despite the gruesome crime, somehow just left all the incriminating evidence in the most conspicuous places...

Remind me not to ever set foot to Wisconsin (or anywhere near that state), nor hire any legal professionals from that region to defend me in traffic court, even.

Last edited: