NET SEND IS SO AWSOME

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
i would send a message saying my gf computer is infected with a virus. Then she come would running for help.

:)

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: who8myrice
can someone tell me the prompt of what to type in to use net send because i cant get it to work. thanks

NET SEND <computer name> <message>

remove the brackets and put the computer's name or IP followed by the message, no brackets or quotes needed.

Utterman

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: who8myrice
can someone tell me the prompt of what to type in to use net send because i cant get it to work. thanks

What windows are you using?

Windows 98 need something install for it to work

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Originally posted by: etech
Net Send can be fun.

I walked by one of my coworkers and saw that he was playing solitaire. It was over lunch and no big deal. I waited til a few minutes before he was to leave(it was also a Friday) and sent him something like this.

Notice
Excessive use of non company work has been logged on your computer. Please modify your computer useage accordingly.

Ok, I was in a hurry.
Well, I waited till the next Friday right before he was to go home and sent another.

This is your second warning. Use your computer for company business only.

He had a somber look on his face but didn't say anything about it to anyone.
So the next week. I couldn't wait til Friday but hit him on Thursday with this.

Report to (my office number) for immediate termination due to company computer useage guidline violations.

He showed up about 2 seconds later. The look on his face - priceless.

I couldn't keep a straight face.

hahahaha!!!!

I knew that if you kept posting you would make a good one.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yakko

I'm still waiting to see your first worthwhile post. Out of >20K posts you would think there would be at least one. I haven't seen it.

I should have added to the previous post. The guy I pulled the prank on has a different supervisor. I told his supervisor what I was going to do even before the first net send. I wanted to make sure if he got upset and went to his supervisor that it would be cut off at a low level and not sprial out of control.

I also consider him a pretty good friend and knew he wouldn't get too upset.

A little caution in pulling pranks at the workplace is a good thing.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You could send this to anyone so long as they had port 139 (or port 445 for w2k hosts w/ NBT) open. When you 'net send' with a "computer name" (NetBIOS name), it will simply resolve that to an ip address by checking your NetBIOS cache, a UDP broadcast packet on port 137, etc. The actual message is sent by way of SMB, and SMB operates over TCP on port 139/445 (as noted above), so it can be sent to anyone.

And yes, it is annoying.

geekender

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
You can send to a user name/names/ip, single/multiple users in a domain.

The only problem that I have had with net send is that if you have more than one user logged in under the same login (ie administrator) it will only send to one of the stations.

propellerhead

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2001
WARNING!!!

At least on Windows 2000, the event log records all the pop up dialog boxes. Our sys admin chick was troubleshooting this guy's PC so she went through the Event Viewer to see what kind of error messages have been popping up. Then she saw a long log of NET SENDs. She was cracking up because we have been just raunchy and gross in our NET SENDs. She later hinted that we should purge the logs once in a while to be on the safe side.

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
The only problem that I have had with net send is that if you have more than one user logged in under the same login (ie administrator) it will only send to one of the stations.
Broadcast to all users in your domain: net send /domain message max 127 characters

Broadcast to all users in your domain: net send * message_max 127 characters

Broadcast to all users in a specific domain: net send /domain:domain_name message max character lenght 887 to user, and 127 to domain

The above works, but I haven't try it out with all workstations login as the same user.

What you could do is write a script.bat file that specifically send your message to a series of IPs in your network.