toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
NET SEND IS SO AWSOME.

Great way to annoyed ppl if you know there IP or computer name if your in a LAN

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
My roommate used to do that to people he knew when they were playing Counter-Strike (or any other game, but CS especially, because no one can dump back to Windows and return to the game and have it work properly).

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
We had a spout about four months ago here with people using net send all the time to annoy others here at work. I found out two of who it was, walked over, unplugged their eithernet cable, fed it back through the bottom of the cube, unplugged it from the hub that each cube has, and walked away with two ethernet cables.

It's quite annoying when I didn't subscribe to it to begin with and even more so when I'm TRYING TO WORK!

nik

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
It pops up a window on the user's desktop saying:

message from (SENDER) to (RECIPIENT) (DATE)

(text)

I just sent one to my mom at her desk. SHe freaked. hahahahah

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
on a WinNT network, in DOS, type "net send <username> <message>" or "net send <computer name> <message>" and it will send a dialogue box with your message to that user (wherever they are on the network) or that computer (reguardless of what user is logged in to it) with a single <ok> button at the bottom of the message.

The message is always on top and will not go away until you click OK. Basically, your system freezes until you click OK.

nik

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Bah netsend. Anyone remember when winnuke was a big hit? :D

I remember having winnuke wars during our VB classes hehehehehe

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Bah netsend. Anyone remember when winnuke was a big hit? :D

I remember having winnuke wars during our VB classes hehehehehe

that only work with windows 95 right?

Net send also work with IP.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
on a WinNT network, in DOS, type "net send <USERNAME><MESSAGE>" or "net send <COMPUTER name><MESSAGE>" and it will send a dialogue box with your message to that user (wherever they are on the network) or that computer (reguardless of what user is logged in to it) with a single <OK>button at the bottom of the message. The message is always on top and will not go away until you click OK. Basically, your system freezes until you click OK. nik

I just tried that on a couple of my computers but it gets captured by the firewall and the firewall asks for udp authorization from the sending ip address.

SWirth86

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
heh, I remember the first couple of days in Comp Sci we would message each other......one of my friends didnt know how to use it or what it was, so we screwed around with him:D But then our teacher got pissed, and deleted the netsend program.....could have got it back, but didnt want to get on his bad side.

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
I wrote a program in HP Vee (I know, I know, I was SUPER bored) that messages my boss a particular message infinate times at a set interval (you choose) and it is really annoying. I usually make it like 37 seconds or something random. That way when he thinks it's over, and it comes up, and he comes to get me, I'm not at my computer. LOL.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Hehehe...

I remember being the reason the "wall" command was taken off of our pine mail server in college. :D

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Net Send can be fun.

I walked by one of my coworkers and saw that he was playing solitaire. It was over lunch and no big deal. I waited til a few minutes before he was to leave(it was also a Friday) and sent him something like this.

Notice
Excessive use of non company work has been logged on your computer. Please modify your computer useage accordingly.

Ok, I was in a hurry.
Well, I waited till the next Friday right before he was to go home and sent another.

This is your second warning. Use your computer for company business only.

He had a somber look on his face but didn't say anything about it to anyone.
So the next week. I couldn't wait til Friday but hit him on Thursday with this.

Report to (my office number) for immediate termination due to company computer useage guidline violations.

He showed up about 2 seconds later. The look on his face - priceless.

I couldn't keep a straight face.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
My daughter had her music a bit loud.. I sent her a message to turn it down, she stormed into my office asking how I did that... I just smiled. :D

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
"services, messaging, disable" as J3anyus sugested.

What wost is write a batch file that automate send messages at random times.

"whats up with those how do u send them to people not on your network?"
I don't belive that you can.

You can send to a user name/names/ip, single/multiple users in a domain.

NET SEND {name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
This reminds me of the netsend like messages u get thru mirc, whats up with those how do u send them to people not on your network?