Net neutrality

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
How much do we want to bet that the fcc removes the restriction and allows charter to add data caps?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Here's a good one

Ars Technica: Charter tries to convince FCC that broadband customers want data caps.
Customers want data caps so badly that the only area Comcast doesn’t implement them is the one where their customers could choose a different provider.

These fucking companies are parasites. Either break them up so that competition can happen or regulate them as utilities.

Feb 4, 2009
Customers want data caps so badly that the only area Comcast doesn’t implement them is the one where their customers could choose a different provider.

These fucking companies are parasites. Either break them up so that competition can happen or regulate them as utilities.

I probably said it earlier in this thread. They shouldn’t be broken up because mainting the lines is a large task and ultimately they’ll merge plus that doesn’t address the fact that many will still have one choice.
Make them lease their lines off for a set fee like cost plus a bit extra to cover upkeep plus a little extra for profit. Without knowing their cost structure something like it costs them a total of $22 per household, allow that to be bought by a virtual provider for $30 per month. Virtual provider then resells that line with whatever they want for whatever makes sense.
Basically what happened to long distance companies. Same lines are used by many companies.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I probably said it earlier in this thread. They shouldn’t be broken up because mainting the lines is a large task and ultimately they’ll merge plus that doesn’t address the fact that many will still have one choice.
Make them lease their lines off for a set fee like cost plus a bit extra to cover upkeep plus a little extra for profit. Without knowing their cost structure something like it costs them a total of $22 per household, allow that to be bought by a virtual provider for $30 per month. Virtual provider then resells that line with whatever they want for whatever makes sense.
Basically what happened to long distance companies. Same lines are used by many companies.

Then it's down to regulation like a utility. I can choose from multiple vendors to source my electricity from, but only one is contract to maintain the grid in my town

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006

Yeah, this filing is someine pretty much yelling from the rooftops, "our companies are anticompetitive and cant be trusted."

The.government should set regulations setiing max rates to be no more than 10% higher than CURRENT minimum across the country. We would all get the low rate. We are all in this together and internet truly is a necessity. The cost to expand should be shared by all to some extent just like the cost for interstates and highways.

The funny thing about all this is that setting low rates makes it cost prohibitive for competition to roll out infrastructure. Charging more now will hurt them long term.

Feb 4, 2009
Small bit of good news. Appears 5G wireless will give people another option. I received a T-Mobile email this week offering me some kind of home broadband solution. I didn’t look into it much because it is the same cost as my fios line but half the speed, however I currently have two broadband offers and my base rate tends to be affordable.
T-Mobile’s offer was $50 flat billing never to increase no extra charges but the universal service charge/federal tax. Some weird mobile gateway is required that appeared to be free, sort of vague about data caps appears they are going with if you are in the top 1% of users your video feed may be slowed and more stuff about streaming resolution when the network is busy.
Estimated speed for me was up to 50mbps estimated ping 120 to 180. This isn’t an awesome offer for my area but again I already have two wired choices.

Feb 4, 2009
Then it's down to regulation like a utility. I can choose from multiple vendors to source my electricity from, but only one is contract to maintain the grid in my town

pretty much.
I figure it worked with long distance, should work with internet too. Maybe not so much with tv but who knows maybe it could be crafted so Meat & Ch33z Incorporated home tv internet service can buy channels from the carrier at cost plus x% too.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Small bit of good news. Appears 5G wireless will give people another option. I received a T-Mobile email this week offering me some kind of home broadband solution. I didn’t look into it much because it is the same cost as my fios line but half the speed, however I currently have two broadband offers and my base rate tends to be affordable.
T-Mobile’s offer was $50 flat billing never to increase no extra charges but the universal service charge/federal tax. Some weird mobile gateway is required that appeared to be free, sort of vague about data caps appears they are going with if you are in the top 1% of users your video feed may be slowed and more stuff about streaming resolution when the network is busy.
Estimated speed for me was up to 50mbps estimated ping 120 to 180. This isn’t an awesome offer for my area but again I already have two wired choices.

That's pretty shit ping if you wanna game, and mobile carriers are notoriously enforcing data caps

A mobile carrier would really have to change the data usage part if they want non gamer home streamers to get on board.

Yea, you'll need something to connect to their network and convert it to your home network also, so there's that cost that could creep in as well.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
That's pretty shit ping if you wanna game, and mobile carriers are notoriously enforcing data caps

A mobile carrier would really have to change the data usage part if they want non gamer home streamers to get on board.

Yea, you'll need something to connect to their network and convert it to your home network also, so there's that cost that could creep in as well.
As shit as ISPs are, I'd never trust a mobile carrier. If I was to go to something else right this second, it'd be Starlink (pending the unlikely scenario that SpaceX becomes shitbags).

Feb 4, 2009

I worked with T-Mobile briefly, they were pretty fair about their data caps and they did enforce them. Before it happened there would be an email or two plus a bunch of text messages. At the time people hitting the caps were being either extraordinarily cheap like buying a prepaid unlimited usage hotspot and opting out of data for their entire families devices and only use the WiFi hotspot for all their data.
Another common one was a student from China or India Skyping their friends back home for hours per day.
But yeah the T-Mobile offer isn’t that attractive but it would be for a guy who has satellite or lives in whatever shitty broadband wasteland.
5G broadband will definitely get better.
I assume the mobile gateway is the thing that acted as a router, that appeared to be free but it carried a $207 charge if cancelled and not returned. Again T-Mobile being fair $207 is a strange number I bet the thing costs them around $200 to buys and deploy them.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I worked with T-Mobile briefly, they were pretty fair about their data caps and they did enforce them. Before it happened there would be an email or two plus a bunch of text messages. At the time people hitting the caps were being either extraordinarily cheap like buying a prepaid unlimited usage hotspot and opting out of data for their entire families devices and only use the WiFi hotspot for all their data.
Another common one was a student from China or India Skyping their friends back home for hours per day.
But yeah the T-Mobile offer isn’t that attractive but it would be for a guy who has satellite or lives in whatever shitty broadband wasteland.
5G broadband will definitely get better.
I assume the mobile gateway is the thing that acted as a router, that appeared to be free but it carried a $207 charge if cancelled and not returned. Again T-Mobile being fair $207 is a strange number I bet the thing costs them around $200 to buys and deploy them.

It could be attractive for some people, they must think there's a market for it.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Appears 5G wireless will give people another option.
verizon has 5G on 3 nearby poles but i'm on the wrong side of the building so can't see any of them. $75/month gigabit unlimited service. i pay more for less with comcrap.

Feb 4, 2009

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Why won’t Gobermint listen to consumers and impose the data caps consumers so desperately want

lol, true story, or alt-truth. I love wondering if *this* movie will be part of my monthly bill or cost me $50

Most transparent admin ever!

In the end, still seems like the slow roll to tiered services as the end game.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
he should be impeached with no possibility for rehire. what a ghoul.