Net neutrality

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Tiered services inbound?

Hollywood Reporter: Charter Seeks FCC Nod to Charge Video Streamers.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Tiered services inbound?

This has been the long term goal the entire time. Charge them out of existence so they can reclaim their monopoly.
They have not even really been coy about their plans, and they are going to get away with it too, that is what Ajit Pai was appointed to do.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This has been the long term goal the entire time. Charge them out of existence so they can reclaim their monopoly.
They have not even really been coy about their plans, and they are going to get away with it too, that is what Ajit Pai was appointed to do.

I agree. R's done told ya wut the plan was, I know people who vote R who "just can't believe" they would do this

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Other utilities are going to be pissed.

Why doesn’t the gas company get to charge a water heater fee on top of the gas consumed? Surcharges on your water bill for each toilet. An extra $40 a month fee to your electric company if you have an electric car. The opportunity to nickel and dime the consumer is epic.

Reactions: hal2kilo

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I agree. R's done told ya wut the plan was, I know people who vote R who "just can't believe" they would do this
They are just fundamentally stupid. You can go back through this thread and find examples of how they simply don't get it. You can show them that the provider is already getting paid "by the content" by charging for the amount of data consumed and the speed. They still don't get it.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Why doesn’t the gas company get to charge a water heater fee on top of the gas consumed? Surcharges on your water bill for each toilet. An extra $40 a month fee to your electric company if you have an electric car. The opportunity to nickel and dime the consumer is epic.
If only Spidey was here to explain it to us.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
In order to get unlimited data (something I've always had) we are forced to go with the 100Mbps tier which costs $98 a month with taxes and fees. For my electric bill I'm on the average payment plan which is around $63 a month in a two bedroom all electric apartment. This is completely unacceptable. The bad thing is they are going to make another excuse to raise the price again and cut their costs even further which means customer service suck. Oh, and Suddenlink is now owned by a French company Altice.

A forward thinking goverment would encourage online business growth by regulating internet access costs. But once again our system benefits the few at the majority and the economy pays the price.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
In order to get unlimited data (something I've always had) we are forced to go with the 100Mbps tier which costs $98 a month with taxes and fees. For my electric bill I'm on the average payment plan which is around $63 a month in a two bedroom all electric apartment. This is completely unacceptable. The bad thing is they are going to make another excuse to raise the price again and cut their costs even further which means customer service suck. Oh, and Suddenlink is now owned by a French company Altice.

A forward thinking goverment would encourage online business growth by regulating internet access costs. But once again our system benefits the few at the majority and the economy pays the price.

I am paying C$65 + tax for 250/15 unlimited.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Wow. I pay $75 for gigabit Internet, but I’m blessed by the fact that my neighborhood has competition. (a whole TWO providers)

The US should do what the UK does and what we did for telephone service. Let anyone who wants to supply Internet lease the ‘last mile’ lines into people’s houses and then let the market work.

Reactions: balloonshark

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The US should do what the UK does and what we did for telephone service. Let anyone who wants to supply Internet lease the ‘last mile’ lines into people’s houses and then let the market work.
Well that is plumb un-merican... CEO's will no longer be able to afford 80 foot yachts and private islands, destroying the economy.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

Don't forget having to rent their toilets and the monthly charge goes up several dollars every year. And/Or, they could charge you each time you flush. Additional fee for an act of congress.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Don't forget having to rent their toilets and the monthly charge goes up several dollars every year. And/Or, they could charge you each time you flush. Additional fee for an act of congress.
Actually even better, being required to pay a toilet rental fee, even if you didn't get a toilet from the water company. That's next level. (Frontier Communications actually does this and will be allowed to through end of the year to the effect of covid and not being able to put the effort into not stealing from their customers)

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Tiered services inbound?

Make your voice heard. From the take public comment link in the article.

Here's the full petition. Charter's other big ask is to sunset the condition on imposing data caps.

The FCC responds that it will now take public comment about Charter's petition.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I am paying C$65 + tax for 250/15 unlimited.

I'm in SoCal on the beach. Spectrum (was TW) has 450/25 (real speeds exceed this) here for $94/m total after fees and taxes. Unlimited.
And the service has been virtually flawless with no slowdowns ever and maybe 2 outages in 6 years.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yikes

Comcast 100/6 Internet only, bring own modem, $87. Data cap of 250GB is still listed in my account, but not enforced in my area.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yikes

Comcast 100/6 Internet only, bring own modem, $87. Data cap of 250GB is still listed in my account, but not enforced in my area.
Simple, just switch to the other carrier. Oh, you don't really have viable option? Sucks to be you. /s

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Simple, just switch to the other carrier. Oh, you do really have viable option? Sucks to be you. /s

lol, true. I can get a phone line and dialup for the same price. Or I can pay the same price for Verizon 3mbps down and who the eff knows up....

oh, but wait, there's mobile networks! yea, cuz they won't charge me out-the-a for all the data I use.

Feb 4, 2009
Yikes

Fios $40 100/100 service, no caps.

It’s the beauty of competition. I can choose between xfinity or Verizon Fios. Both offer similar internet only tiers.
Xfinity isn’t as fast up but they offer that gimmicky down speed boost and give you Netflix with some discount. Overall very similar offers.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It’s the beauty of competition. I can choose between xfinity or Verizon Fios. Both offer similar internet only tiers.
Xfinity isn’t as fast up but they offer that gimmicky down speed boost and give you Netflix with some discount. Overall very similar offers.

Sure, and we know most Americans don't have that type of competitive ISP landscape.

Netflix doesn't come with just internet. You gotta buy some bundle to get it.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Feb 4, 2009
Sure, and we know most Americans don't have that type of competitive ISP landscape.

Netflix doesn't come with just internet. You gotta buy some bundle to get it.

Oh I agree and I still can’t figure out why cities and towns sign long term exclusive agreements. Really basic to understand if there is one choice cost will be higher. Town next to me has one choice and much higher rates. We all know xfinitys cost of operation isn’t that different location to location. Why is my city like half the rate for the same damn service.