Nero 7 Essentials & PowerDVD 6.0 OEM - $5.99 Each

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I received a copy of the Nero 7 Essentials the other day. I'm a bit suspicious of it, on the cd sleave it says 30 day trial - I don't know if it's just talking about some of the features or all of them. Guess I'll know 30 days from now. But also when it installs, it includes a shortcut on the desktop to go to Ahead's website and purchase the full version of Nero. So again, even with the key code, I'm not very confident that this product is more than just a trial, and may shut itself off in a month.

Anyone have any insights?

crimson117

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Does it fall for the old trick of setting your clock ahead 10 years, then installing it, then setting the clock back to normal... thus giving you a trial period of 10 years and 30 days?

May 6, 2006
Well, I got myself Nero 6 when there was a similar sale, so I think I'll do the same for Nero 7.

Is PowerDVD any good? Is it just a DVD player or can it rip, edit or compress video?

Slacker101

Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: cubby1223
I received a copy of the Nero 7 Essentials the other day. I'm a bit suspicious of it, on the cd sleave it says 30 day trial - I don't know if it's just talking about some of the features or all of them. Guess I'll know 30 days from now. But also when it installs, it includes a shortcut on the desktop to go to Ahead's website and purchase the full version of Nero. So again, even with the key code, I'm not very confident that this product is more than just a trial, and may shut itself off in a month.

Anyone have any insights?

You can download it for 30 day trial although not all the features this has but I will not be using them anyways. It better not be a 30 day trial for every thing I wouldn't have bought it then:disgust:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Looking at everything closer, it seems like maybe just the programs marked Essentials SE are 30-day trial versions - which are the Nero Home, Nero Vision 4, & Nero PhotoShow - while everything else should work forever. All I picked it up for was InCD, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

ironk

Jun 18, 2001
so, can anyone confirm that it really does come with nero burning rom? Or is it just nero express?

/edit: duh reading the thread, voodoo seems to have taken care of that.

ChiefBrody

Apr 25, 2003
Since this is the 'Essentials' version, it seems to me that 'Burning Rom' and of the other software that's not listed as Essentials software would fall under the 30 day trial.

Why would there be a full version of Burning Rom in the Essentials version? It doesn't make sense.

I'm gonna pass on this one.

russw

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
I'm hoping that you all figure out if this is "essentially" bundled oem sw like the "suites" that were bundled with mad dog and liteon burners.

That stuff burned dvds and worked with the freebie rippers. I did a pm at Staples last weekend for ultra7 and still need to find the "upgrade" manual title pages to make it a better deal. But if this 7 Essentials works well, I can always do a return.

feelingshorter

Platinum Member
May 5, 2004
Originally posted by: ChiefBrody
Originally posted by: ironk
but voodoo already said that it has the burning rom in it...

I'm sure it does have it. I'm guessing it's a 30 day trial version.

It has it. Look at the screen shot. If it was a trial, i think voodoo would know as we are all relatively computer savvy here.

Slacker101

Mar 31, 2003
If any one got the PowerDVD 6.0 OEM, confirm if it supports DTS audio play back when playing DVD's with DTS audio? Thanks

nallur

Nov 8, 2000
V00D00,
Can you set your computer's clock a couple of months ahead and verify that you can still use Burning Rom? Thanks.

Originally posted by: V00D00
This looks like the full-on version of Nero 7. I don't know what the Ultra version has that this doesn't. On the Nero website they have a comparison sheet that shows Nero 6.6 Ultra and 7, and I think I have all that jazz:
http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/doc/Nero7_comparison_sheet.pdf

Even the unwanted crap like Nero Scout and Nero Home. That was a horrible idea.

Kwint Sommer

Jul 28, 2006

That site clearly states that only the Ultra Edition has Nero Burning ROM 7 which is what makes the CDs and DVDs and since they are selling the Essential Suite 1 it is virtually useless.

Crap, does that mean that the Essential Suite that I just bought from the OP's sight for $5.99 doesn't have Nero Burning ROM? After reading this thread I was left with the distinct impression that it does but that site contradicts earier post?!?

Slacker101

Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: cubby1223
My copy of Nero 7 Essentials Suite 1 does not have Burning ROM

Where did you get it from? Can you burn DVD's with the Nero Express 7? Thanks

ironk

Jun 18, 2001

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero7/express7/NeroExpress_ug_eng.pdf

sheesh, Nero Express can do a lot too. Should be good enough for regular people, but for people who do PS2/xbox backups, this is not good.

V00D00

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
To those who I've mislead:

This is in fact the crap version of Nero. I was wrong. I messed up.

It does include Nero Burning Rom, but it is a cut down version. I guess it's comparable to Express, but it does actually say "Nero Burning Rom". Weak.

I'm very sincerely sorry to those who I may have mislead. I don't know how I got so messed up, I must have installed a trial a while back and forgot about it.