Need to find EASY FPS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Well.. we went to see the Max Payne movie last weekend (6/10, not bad, could have been much better) and I showed her the game the movie was based off of. Now she's hooked and likes playing it. She's gotten alot better at movement and has learned to at least point in the general direction of her enemies before firing. Now she just needs to learn some strategy elements such as side stepping and using cover instead of standing in the open when 6 guys are shooting at her.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
TF2 is not easy at all. What are you guys even thinking? Why are you suggesting an online-only FPSs? I am not a terrific FPS player, but I'm not bad either... and I can't get more than two or three kills per match in TF2 (vs. like a dozen deaths).

I was going to suggest HL2 because they're pretty good about guiding the player to the objective, but with all the puzzles and stuff it actually can be somewhat difficult. The shooting isn't super easy either (not that hard, but not very noob-friendly).

Portal might be a good way to start. There's very little pressure and it'll help her develop the moving and aiming skills necessary to do well in any FPS, as well as familiarizing her with how FPS puzzles are often set up. Then move on to one where you have to actually shoot guys. Halo PC on the easiest level should be pretty simple. Never played Serious Sam but it sounds like that would be good too.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
TF2 is not easy at all. What are you guys even thinking? Why are you suggesting an online-only FPSs? I am not a terrific FPS player, but I'm not bad either... and I can't get more than two or three kills per match in TF2 (vs. like a dozen deaths).

I was going to suggest HL2 because they're pretty good about guiding the player to the objective, but with all the puzzles and stuff it actually can be somewhat difficult. The shooting isn't super easy either (not that hard, but not very noob-friendly).

Portal might be a good way to start. There's very little pressure and it'll help her develop the moving and aiming skills necessary to do well in any FPS, as well as familiarizing her with how FPS puzzles are often set up. Then move on to one where you have to actually shoot guys. Halo PC on the easiest level should be pretty simple. Never played Serious Sam but it sounds like that would be good too.

TF2 isn't all about kills. If she played as medic she could follow around a good player and learn the maps while observing what a high level player does. I forgot to mention medic earlier.

Serious Sam isn't a bad idea either. It feels kind of old school. Swarms of monsters attacking you type of deal.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Or TF2, let her play medic or engineer that way she can stay back for most of the fights and get used to the game

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
NOLF 1 and 2 recommended here also. The humor was great.

"Bullets are not my favorite!!!"

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

Well, seeing how everyone else is bumping this 3 week old thread. You want mindless or linear shooter with decent story and pace: HL2, Quake 4, Painkiller........

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Definitely HL2. Enemies don't move around too much (except for antlions) and the weapons don't have a lot of recoil to worry about.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
Originally posted by: DanDeighan
BF2 in single player mode?

My son has been playing BF2 SP since he was 4 y/o. He's 7 and can fly the crap out of a chopper.

Star Wars Battlefront is also pretty forgiving.

the best though to start her is get a doom wad and d/l zdoom, and go to town. Make it a history lesson.