Need to dismantle large satellite dish.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
It probably just regular metal but I agree with the above it’s probably worth something to someone just not sure if you want to deal with that.

Also I am shocked nobody posted this

1594330919236.gif

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
It appears C band is still a thing... and they pick up some dishes posted on Facebook and Craigslist.
but I’m not seeing a quick list of unscrambled channels

Usually you can pickup major broadcast networks in multiple locations. Its especially good for international channels that no cable carriers carry.

Reactions: NoTine42

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
IMG_1553.jpg

Here's a better picture of it. Don't mind the mess, kids were swimming last night. My plan is to take the dish down, rip that bush out and build an outdoor kitchen in that area, since I have water and gas behind that broken fence on the side of the house. It'll be a multi-year job for sure lol.

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
Yep, that’s a BUD (big ugly dish). Probably a good amount of concrete holding that steady

In addition to a ground rod? I would think there should be a pair of coax wires in there, but I’m not sure what that gets you so close to the house. (Could be used for MOcA Ethernet extender if it was farther from the home)

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Yep, that’s a BUD (big ugly dish). Probably a good amount of concrete holding that steady

In addition to a ground rod? I would think there should be a pair of coax wires in there, but I’m not sure what that gets you so close to the house. (Could be used for MOcA Ethernet extender if it was farther from the home)

Any wiring that was hooked up to it was probably re-routed to the smaller dish at one time I'm thinking. I don't see any wiring to it anymore. It's big and ugly for sure. Been a long time coming, but I'd at least like to get it down and get the bush ripped out so I can start planning for the kitchen.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
View attachment 25316

Here's a better picture of it. Don't mind the mess, kids were swimming last night. My plan is to take the dish down, rip that bush out and build an outdoor kitchen in that area, since I have water and gas behind that broken fence on the side of the house. It'll be a multi-year job for sure lol.
Oh you should contact that smiley cooking guy, he'd use it as a giant colander for a pasta bake for 200 or something.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Hope you have some buddies that can come over and help you out because that looks likes it's going to be a beast to get down off that pole. Either that or like someone else mentioned attach some ropes to it and have a couple people pulling it away from the house as your're cutting the base of the pole with a saw.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If there's a decent anchor in the fall direction, it would be pretty easy for one person to take down. Attach a rope up high, and setup a Zdrag from the anchor point. Cut 2/3± through the back, then haul it over with the rope.

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah that has to go.

Not sure what your plan for the space is but if you need a simple cheap fix. Cut it down, scrap it. Then get a planter big enough to cover the base and cut a small hole in the planter where the leftover pole from the cut it.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
That thing has more holes than a german shower head, I don't think it would work, but now I kinda want to try it with one of those solid ones that don't have the holes. I think it would be fun tbh.
Situations like this is why someone invented Flex-Seal. Cockadoodle-dooo!!!

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
That thing has more holes than a german shower head, I don't think it would work, but now I kinda want to try it with one of those solid ones that don't have the holes. I think it would be fun tbh.

Seems like a very fine-mesh so it might not be enough to break the water's surface tension.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I remember those old dishes. There were some neighbors in the area that had those and the ham radio setups that were so big they should have been illegal. Now about that water slide from the 70's.