Need to dismantle large satellite dish.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
When we bought our house a few years ago, it came with one of those huge dishes for satellite tv that people used in 80s or 90s. It's pole mounted and attached to a patio cover. I'm finally getting around to taking it down. I'm curious if anyone knows what kind of metal/material these things are made of. I was thinking of just unbolting it from the patio cover and cutting the pole and dropping it like a tree.

Edit: Should add the dish is mounted on a pole about 10-15' high.

Last edited:

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
When we bought our house a few years ago, it came with one of those huge dishes for satellite tv that people used in 80s or 90s. It's pole mounted and attached to a patio cover. I'm finally getting around to taking it down. I'm curious if anyone knows what kind of metal/material these things are made of. I was thinking of just unbolting it from the patio cover and cutting the pole and dropping it like a tree.

Edit: Should add the dish is mounted on a pole about 10-15' high.

My guess is it is aluminum. Do you have a magnet?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is it motorized and can you point it anywhere? Could have some fun with that and a SDR. See what kind of weird stuff you can pickup in space. Like point it at the sun and stuff.

It's funny though now that you mention those I remember seeing those everywhere on top of houses and stuff and now that I think of it, it's rare I ever see one anywhere.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Are you talking something like an 18" digital dish, or are you talking the old school 2-3M dishes? The dishes for directtv and dish are stamped steel I think. Its been awhile since I handled mine, but they aren't super heavy. If its the larger couple meter dish I'd probably find a way to lower it gently.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
It's the larger diameter dish. Here's a streetview of it from my neighbor's driveway. I don't recall seeing any wiring hooked up to it, and there's a smaller Dish Network dish right behind itsat.JPG

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I might post it up on facebook marketplace and say first come first served. Bring tools. Lots of ex-pats would love something like that to pick up c-band and ku-band channels from their old country.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Flip it over and make a gazebo. Tile the inside with mirrors, put light bulb at the focus point, and have the most amazing illumination in your new gazebo.

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Sawzall with a decent metal cutting blade on it should make short work of it. Just tie a rope to it and have someone pull it in the direction you want it to go down.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Flip it over and make a gazebo. Tile the inside with mirrors, put light bulb at the focus point, and have the most amazing illumination in your new gazebo.

I like this idea actually. Just make sure a stray 5G deathbeam does not make it's way in there, it's going to fry your brain man!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Don't those big dishes come apart in pie sections? Probably don't need any cutting tools. Unless the bolts are all rusted, which is quite possible. If you do get it apart you could probably get something on ebay or local classifieds for it. There are probably ham radio guys who would love one of those. Heck they might even take it down for you.

I remember when we lost the fibre to Magdalen Islands and they actually flew one in so they can setup a temporary satellite feed. I think the dishes for that are around the same size. Similar to the ones you see up in towers. I presume they come apart in small pieces if they could fit it on a plane.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
If it is aluminum, it can be recycled, if that is your thing. That's what I did with mine.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Can you still get stations from that thing? I'd be curious what it can pick up that isn't scrambled.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
It's not wire to anything and I'm not really interested in trying to get it working again lol. I'm going to dig the post out to see how much cement I'm working with this weekend. Depending on how that goes, I'll either cut the pole if there's a ton of cement, or get a couple of guys with some rope to bring it down. Then I'll figure out how to dispose of it. I might post it and see if anyone's interested first to see if they want to take it down, depends on if the wife wants it down sooner or if she can wait a week or two first.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
It's not wire to anything and I'm not really interested in trying to get it working again lol. I'm going to dig the post out to see how much cement I'm working with this weekend. Depending on how that goes, I'll either cut the pole if there's a ton of cement, or get a couple of guys with some rope to bring it down. Then I'll figure out how to dispose of it. I might post it and see if anyone's interested first to see if they want to take it down, depends on if the wife wants it down sooner or if she can wait a week or two first.

Maybe @cheez can find a use for it.

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
Can you still get stations from that thing? I'd be curious what it can pick up that isn't scrambled.
It appears C band is still a thing... and they pick up some dishes posted on Facebook and Craigslist.
but I’m not seeing a quick list of unscrambled channels