Need suggestions for front brakes and rotors for an 09 Accord LX

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
For those of us who haven't seen hundreds of brake pads, care to explain what we're looking for and what the differences are in the MSDS sheets?

Care to explain why Advance Gold pads are fine for every day driving unless we're towing or racing?

The MSDS has what is in the brake pad (ingredients). You don’t use the MSDS to see what pads are better, at least not easily, but to see who makes what. Advance does not even have MSDS sheets on their brake pads, they just repost the federal-mogual pads MSDS as they are the same pad.

As far as pads when I was a mechanic I talked with my customer to see their driving habits and choose a pad based on that. If they were older or said they liked a pad that grabbed quick and hard I usually use a cheaper pad as the lower end ones are EE rated and grab at lower temps. If you tow or drive hard I went with performance friction for a while (auto zone use to carry these) or another FF rated metallic pad. For most cars today ceramic works fine.
The reason I recommend advance gold pads for most street driven cars is they are typed to each car. If your car came with ceramic then you will get the same type pad and so forth. I have not seen this to be wrong but I am sure there may be a case where this does not line up but I never saw it. This takes out the guess work or telling someone to flip the pad over and look at the material and then go in some long explanation. The gold pads at advance, as you can see through their copy F-M MSDS sheets, are good Wagner pads. So you get a good name brand pad and don’t have to guess or think to hard about it. This works well for those that are not in the auto field.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
So no quantitative testing to suggest that Autozone Golds are better than anything else? It makes sense to match the original pad composition I suppose.

Interesting that some customers would prefer the feel of a pad that grabs when cold.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
So no quantitative testing to suggest that Autozone Golds are better than anything else? It makes sense to match the original pad composition I suppose.

Interesting that some customers would prefer the feel of a pad that grabs when cold.

I never said one pad is better than any other in any case(None are IMO), I said for street driving the advance gold works best for most unless you fit extreme cases. If you fit extreme cases, like for my 73 Chevy, then you need to describe what type of driving you do and what you expect out of a pad. For my 73 Chevy I got a set of Performance friction carbon pads.

That is mostly for older people I have found. Many think if the pad does not grab right away with little pressure then it’s a bad pad.