Need some advice from a Police Officer

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
My sister and I are not on speaking terms. She has been in trouble with the law in the past for things, and also some personal issues I have with her. While we were still on speaking terms I let her use my old car. Well the CHP showed up here at my house on Friday looking for the owner of that car, which was me. Well apparently she did a hit and run. I explained to the officer that my sister is the one driving it. I gave them her phone and work address. I do not know where she lives currently. Its a few city away that's all I know. I called her and let the officer speak with her. Well everything was sorted out in the end. But I would like my car back. She doesn't appear to want to give it back. I really don't want to call the police and have it reported stolen by her. I will if I have to but I don' want to go that route. Is their anything I can do, besides having the car reported stolen? Can I have a police officer come with me and get it that way? Any advice here would be great...

Thanks...

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
My sister and I are not on speaking terms. She has been in trouble with the law in the past for things, and also some personal issues I have with her. While we were still on speaking terms I let her use my old car. Well the CHP showed up here at my house on Friday looking for the owner of that car, which was me. Well apparently she did a hit and run. I explained to the officer that my sister is the one driving it. I gave them her phone and work address. I do not know where she lives currently. Its a few city away that's all I know. I called her and let the officer speak with her. Well everything was sorted out in the end. But I would like my car back. She doesn't appear to want to give it back. I really don't want to call the police and have it reported stolen by her. I will if I have to but I don' want to go that route. Is their anything I can do, besides having the car reported stolen? Can I have a police officer come with me and get it that way? Any advice here would be great...

Thanks...

Do you have an extra set of keys? Take it back.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
No extra keys. I have no idea where she lives either. I know what city just not location.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
So then my only recourse would be to have it reported stolen...

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005
I'd guess you'd have to report it stolen, you could let her know you want it back (this may be difficult for you). Or let the registration lapse on it

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
They might balk at that because it wasn't "stolen". You gave it to her. Civil issue.

Gave it to her to use for a set amount of time. Wouldn't it be considered stolen if a borrowed vehicle was not returned within the expected time frame?

Has to be some sort of recourse in a case like that.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Can you get a set of keys made? Go to the dealer with the VIN and proof of ownership?

Then find the car and take it back.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So if I let the registration slip the police would do what?

At least she wouldn't be able to drive it legally.

Unfortunately another aspect of this situation which hasn't been brought up is that in our sue-happy society I wouldn't be at all surprised if you found yourself liable for her actions while driving your car.

Then find the car and take it back.

Ultimately I think this is what you need to do and I would do it sooner rather then later.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Why mix up the two issues? Does the hit and run have anything to do with her not returning the car?

I don't think it's impossible that the police will help, assuming you have title and simply want to recover possession. But I would call the county sheriff's office, not the local PD. They may tell you to file in small claims. If you know where the vehicle is then you can likely get a key made and just go get it, or since you have title, hire a wrecker to go collect it.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Gave it to her to use for a set amount of time. Wouldn't it be considered stolen if a borrowed vehicle was not returned within the expected time frame?

Has to be some sort of recourse in a case like that.

If it's not in writing it's certainly not stolen. Recourse is civil court. Or just find it and take it, whether by getting keys made or towing.

So if I let the registration slip the police would do what?

If they pulled her over probably tow and impound, where you could pay the fees and get it back. Or she could kill someone with invalid registration/insurance and get you both sued.

Ogrinz

Dec 2, 2012
Cops wont take it as stolen because of liability. Stolen vehicles involve chases, guns, arrests.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I have no idea where it is.

She probably talks about her life on social media. You can usually figure out where someone is, or what they are doing. Where she is going out that day, or to dinner, etc.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Try a PI, or try the sheriff and/or civil court, or stalk her online, or stalk her on person. Then with your title in hand, get another key made and pick up your car, or have a towing company pick it up.

I'd try the sheriff first, if you have all your papers on hand and they're cooperative that should be the fastest and cheapest option.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
She's your sister...you will figure out where she is and what happened to your car eventually. Be patient.

Now if your sister says, "I gave the car to crackhead steve"...you might want to consult with an attorney to figure out the best way to approach this.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Pretty sure you could find her in about 20 minutes with the rescources available on the internet.