need shotgun advice

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tomywishbone

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2006
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: JDub02
Originally posted by: tomywishbone
Remington 870. The end.

Remington 870 Synthetic stock w/ 18" barrel

Text
Exactly. $300 bucks. It will never jam. It will never rust. It will never let you down. You put a bullet in the camber and it will fire. No bullet? Use it as a club.

Are there better guns than the 870? Of course. Is there any gun I'd rather have when it's, do or die? No.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
i know this is old, but big 5 is selling mossberg 500s for $250 and i am thinking about picking one up.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
A wise word of advice:

Think about the type of shotgun that you want to buy to use in a self-defense situation. Depending on where you live, that firearm may have to be turned over as evidence. Now, think again; what type of firearm do you want the prosecution showing to a jury of possibly firearm ignorant people? You want them to see a scary, matte-black, pistol-grip shotgun with a heatshield? So, for home defense, purchase something that looks like a grandfather would use. Something old-school with a wood stock.

People typically choose a firearm that looks cool without thinking of the legal ramifications of their decision. Just food for thought.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
Mossberg Persuader 500A 12 gauge w/ 18.5' barrel and get a folder stock as the pistol grip only is sub par trust me.

I had the top folder stock w/ shell holder from sportsmans guide for like $79

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
<blockquote>quote:
<blockquote>quote:
<blockquote>quote:
Remington 870. The end.</blockquote>

Text

</blockquote>

</blockquote>
Exactly. $300 bucks. It will never jam. It will never rust. It will never let you down. You put a bullet in the camber and it will fire. No bullet? Use it as a club.

Are there better guns than the 870? Of course. Is there any gun I'd rather have when it's, do or die? No.

The local fun store has this 870 for sale at $200. Definately a bargin, I might pick one up even though I already got a SPAS12. Gotta pay for the two supressors I am buying this month first though.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: adairusmc
<blockquote>quote:
<blockquote>quote:
<blockquote>quote:
Remington 870. The end.</blockquote>

Text

</blockquote>

</blockquote>

The local fun store has this 870 for sale at $200. Definately a bargin, I might pick one up even though I already got a SPAS12. Gotta pay for the two supressors I am buying this month first though.

That's a damn good deal for $200.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Big question: do you wait quietly with the shotgun and more or less ambush the intruder? Do you actively seek out the intruder? Or do you pump it? - The sound of an action on a shotgun being closed is the universal language for "I mean business." I'm thinking that in many situations, pumping the shotgun is going to send most intruders running from the house... but in rare situations, it might tip off some drug-crazed armed person that you're there and armed, which could lead to a more dangerous situation for you.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Big question: do you wait quietly with the shotgun and more or less ambush the intruder? Do you actively seek out the intruder? Or do you pump it? - The sound of an action on a shotgun being closed is the universal language for "I mean business." I'm thinking that in many situations, pumping the shotgun is going to send most intruders running from the house... but in rare situations, it might tip off some drug-crazed armed person that you're there and armed, which could lead to a more dangerous situation for you.

Keep it loaded.

When you have a 12ga with a shell of OO shot in the chamber I'd say you are as well prepared as possible. Either said unwelcome person will not want to mess with the man holding a shotgun or if he is crazy enough you are ready to do what you have to.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: lozina
For my first shotgun which I wanted for home defense I went with a Saiga S-12. It looks like this.

It's receiver is basically an AK receiver with some obvious modifications, so you know it will be reliable even if you neglect it. It has semi-automatic action with 5-round magazine so you can defend yourself against multiple assailants or if you're a really bad shot :p Also because of it's gas operation and it's weight it has significantly less recoil than the popular pump action shotguns.

It's also very inexpensive and if you are into it there are a great number of modifications you can do to customize it and they have a very active online community if you need any help.

Go here and click on SAIGA SHOTGUNS on the left menu to see some examples of how you can customize this gun

Holy f, that gun looks so badass, now I only need a reason to buy one with the extended mag and HALO quad rail...

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
"Hey Grimsey"
"yeah?"
"Just remember..."
"yeah?"
"When we're all shooting... shoot in the same direction"

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Winchester Defender with 00 buckshot is what I got. Short barrel, plenty of shells, and makes a mean pump noise.

amddude

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
A wise word of advice:

Think about the type of shotgun that you want to buy to use in a self-defense situation. Depending on where you live, that firearm may have to be turned over as evidence. Now, think again; what type of firearm do you want the prosecution showing to a jury of possibly firearm ignorant people? You want them to see a scary, matte-black, pistol-grip shotgun with a heatshield? So, for home defense, purchase something that looks like a grandfather would use. Something old-school with a wood stock.

People typically choose a firearm that looks cool without thinking of the legal ramifications of their decision. Just food for thought.

BS

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: amddude
A wise word of advice:

BS

it makes sense to me, but does anyone have any examples where a guy with a "scary" gun got punished because he had said gun instead of a "grandfather" gun?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: DrPizza

Sorry, but I keep mine loaded at all times. I am not about to give away my position by needing to chamber a round.

If I see someone intruding in my home, the only thing he is going to hear is the muzzle blast.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Another vote for the 870

I have a Marine Magnum with a butler creek folding stock/pistol grip, 00 buckshot, it's like shooting a 9mm a dozen times in one fell swoop.

Marine Magnum

Folding Stock Mine's in SS so it matches.

The rationale for the folder is that if you're in a hallway/doorway is that you can bring the muzzle around quickly/quicker than you can with a long gun.

Grab a broomstick, stand in a hallway/doorframe & try to point it at something, it's rather difficult.

Whatever you get, practice with it a lot.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

You keep it loaded with a round in the chamber and the safety on. Pumping a shotgun is a myth. Anyways, in most states you have to wait in ambush. More and more states are passing the castle doctrine. If you are in a castle state, whether to shore up or not depends on your training and the size of your home.

In my old apartment, even with my fairly decent firearm training, I would have shored up in the bedroom, simply because of an akward angle coming out of my bedroom, unless I heard the intruders trying to break the outside door down, in which case I would have ambushed them in the living room.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: sygyzy
<blockquote>quote:
A wise word of advice:

People typically choose a firearm that looks cool without thinking of the legal ramifications of their decision. Just food for thought.</blockquote>

Wow, very good advice!

Very BAD advice. If a jury is swayed by "evil looking guns" any defense lawyer worth an ounce of piss could get the ruling over turned on the basis of prejudice. That's like saying don't put aftermarket tires on your car because it will make you look like a gangster thug.

Buy a gun YOU are happy with.
I have a 12 G Ithaca Model 37 Trench gun for home defense. It ejects the casing out of the load port so as to not fling casings all over the place. It has a heat shield and will soon get a tactical grip and a tac light on the end of it.

As far as wall penetration, any round will penetrate drywall, which is what most home walls are made of. For home defense shotgun rounds you're not going to want 00 you want a light target load or bird shot. Lets face it if you'r egoing to shoot someone in your house the person is going to be no more than 15 feet from you. So you have 2 foot of gun before the muzzle of the barrel, so 13 feet, shotgun rounds don't really spread that much so at 12 feet the entry mound is going to be maybe 6inches across. even light game load with steel shot at that range is going to kill someone with a center mass or head shot.

The trick to winning a court case is not to have a non scary looking gun, it's to prove that you were in fear for you or your families life (and in Fl and Texas) you feared that they were going to take your stuff. Castle Doctrine FTW.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
As far as wall penetration, any round will penetrate drywall, which is what most home walls are made of. For home defense shotgun rounds you're not going to want 00 you want a light target load or bird shot. Lets face it if you'r egoing to shoot someone in your house the person is going to be no more than 15 feet from you. So you have 2 foot of gun before the muzzle of the barrel, so 13 feet, shotgun rounds don't really spread that much so at 12 feet the entry mound is going to be maybe 6inches across. even light game load with steel shot at that range is going to kill someone with a center mass or head shot.

See my previous link to the box of truth...bird shot won't do anything but piss them off...you just negated any other points you may have made with that comment.