need shotgun advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i would think some of the guns listed would be to long for indoor use.

i recall one shotgun someone linked once. it was short and legal.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are both good suggestions.

However, anyone telling you to use anything less than double-ought buck is wrong, wrong, wrong. Especially the "rubber bullets" suggestions. You're not shooting rock-salt to scare a dog off your land - you're shooting to kill an intruder. If you're not okay with the fact that you may need to end someone's life, you should not own a firearm.

- M4H

#1 failed question on the Texas concealed handgun license test.

T/F - You have the right to kill an intruder threatening you in your home

The answer is false. You have the right to stop them. Most states are the same.

You don't shoot to wound, to kill, etc. You shoot to stop.

Now of course death is usually a pretty normal result. But telling a jury you were trying to kill a guy is a lot different than telling them you were trying to stop him.

Boo Boo

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
get a mossberg 20 with 8 shot capacity

get them on gunbroker for 230 shipped then whatever your transfer fee is.

but a USP 40 will be nice just learn to head shot

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
For the ammo, just stick with 00. Federal Ammo makes a 12 gauge, low-recoil, self defense round.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are both good suggestions.

However, anyone telling you to use anything less than double-ought buck is wrong, wrong, wrong. Especially the "rubber bullets" suggestions. You're not shooting rock-salt to scare a dog off your land - you're shooting to kill an intruder. If you're not okay with the fact that you may need to end someone's life, you should not own a firearm.

- M4H

#1 failed question on the Texas concealed handgun license test.

T/F - You have the right to kill an intruder threatening you in your home

The answer is false. You have the right to stop them. Most states are the same.

You don't shoot to wound, to kill, etc. You shoot to stop.

Now of course death is usually a pretty normal result. But telling a jury you were trying to kill a guy is a lot different than telling them you were trying to stop him.

Aren't the ramifications usually greater if you don't kill the intruder though? With no other side of the story to conflict with yours and all.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Get a class IV permit and then something cozy like a scorpion.

Now that would make a fearfull sound for the intruder ;)

GRIFFIN1

Golden Member
Nov 10, 1999
12 gauge is the most common shotgun, so you should never have trouble finding shells for it. 12 gauge shells are usually cheaper than the others.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
A wise word of advice:

Think about the type of shotgun that you want to buy to use in a self-defense situation. Depending on where you live, that firearm may have to be turned over as evidence. Now, think again; what type of firearm do you want the prosecution showing to a jury of possibly firearm ignorant people? You want them to see a scary, matte-black, pistol-grip shotgun with a heatshield? So, for home defense, purchase something that looks like a grandfather would use. Something old-school with a wood stock.

People typically choose a firearm that looks cool without thinking of the legal ramifications of their decision. Just food for thought.

Up theirs. I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

- M4H

I guess you didn't get it. I was simply suggesting that the OP, or anyone else, think about the cosmetics of a firearm before making the purchase. A field shotgun will stop an intruder just as well as a Fabarm FP6 or any other 'tactical' shotgun. When you go to court, that prosecutor will attempt to make you the bad guy by analyzing everything from the gun and the ammo used.

I mentioned the FP6, because that's a shotgun that I own, but I would never pick it up if I heard an intruder in my home.

People take the time to learn all about their firearms and the legalities of carrying, but neglect to study the ramifications of actually using a firearm in a defense situation. And that's what actually matters! ;)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
A wise word of advice:

Think about the type of shotgun that you want to buy to use in a self-defense situation. Depending on where you live, that firearm may have to be turned over as evidence. Now, think again; what type of firearm do you want the prosecution showing to a jury of possibly firearm ignorant people? You want them to see a scary, matte-black, pistol-grip shotgun with a heatshield? So, for home defense, purchase something that looks like a grandfather would use. Something old-school with a wood stock.

People typically choose a firearm that looks cool without thinking of the legal ramifications of their decision. Just food for thought.

- M4H

I guess you didn't get it. I was simply suggesting that the OP, or anyone else, think about the cosmetics of a firearm before making the purchase. A field shotgun will stop an intruder just as well as a Fabarm FP6 or any other 'tactical' shotgun. When you go to court, that prosecutor will attempt to make you the bad guy by analyzing everything from the gun and the ammo used.

I mentioned the FP6, because that's a shotgun that I own, but I would never pick it up if I heard an intruder in my home.

People take the time to learn all about their firearms and the legalities of carrying, but neglect to study the ramifications of actually using a firearm in a defense situation. And that's what actually matters! ;)

so if your family was in danger you would not pick up the gun to defend them?

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
A wise word of advice:

- M4H

No. I would not pick up the Fabarm FP6. I would choose another firearm. I have other firearms. ;)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
A wise word of advice:

- M4H

No. I would not pick up the Fabarm FP6. I would choose another firearm. I have other firearms. ;)

and a lawyer wouldnt mention that?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
he probably has bombs and grenades and sharks with lasers!! :Q

i want sharks with lasers! screw the guns iwant sharks with fricken lasers on there heads!

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
A wise word of advice:

- M4H

and a lawyer wouldnt mention that?

Wouldn't mention what?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Wouldn't mention what?

that you have a bunch of otehr guns. iwould think that would look just as bad as having a "defence" one.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
For my first shotgun which I wanted for home defense I went with a Saiga S-12. It looks like this.

It's receiver is basically an AK receiver with some obvious modifications, so you know it will be reliable even if you neglect it. It has semi-automatic action with 5-round magazine so you can defend yourself against multiple assailants or if you're a really bad shot :p Also because of it's gas operation and it's weight it has significantly less recoil than the popular pump action shotguns.

It's also very inexpensive and if you are into it there are a great number of modifications you can do to customize it and they have a very active online community if you need any help.

Go here and click on SAIGA SHOTGUNS on the left menu to see some examples of how you can customize this gun

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Mossberg's a nice shottie. My pops 12 is a Mossberg 500. I dunno why people think a shotgun kicks bad. I've fired his and yeah it jumps but it's not like it'd hurt you. I'd say a 12 gauge is a pretty good home defense weapon, and you don't need a permit for it where I live so less hassle than a hand gun. Of course it's bulkier to manage if it comes down to having to shoot someone with it.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Wouldn't mention what?

that you have a bunch of otehr guns. iwould think that would look just as bad as having a "defence" one.

no, it wouldn't. Showing the jury a grandfather shotgun and saying the defendent "has other guns", vs. showing the jury an evil-terrorist-gun nut tactical shotgun? The jury would be less intimidated by the first scenario.