need shotgun advice

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
ATOT gun people I need your advice please. Oh and gun haters, please lets not turn this into a gun bashing thread. Thanks!

I am getting my firearms ID card soon and would like a quality firearm for home defense. This will be strictly a home defense weapon and if possible, I'd like a shotgun without a stock (pistol grip is fine). What do you guys recommend for a quality shotgun that won;t fail me if I ever have to use it. For the record, I have fired plenty of shotguns (mainly shooting cans off a fence post) before, the recoil of a 12-gauge does not hurt/scare me. I also intend to take a firearms safety course.

I've heard lots of good things about the mossburg 500 and the remington 870. Would a 12 gauge be overkill for this situation?

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
I've got a mossberg and I like it a lot. I've shot an 870 and like those a lot too. I find it's easier for me to short stroke my mossberg when I'm in a hurry, so that might be one thing to consider.

Really just pick whichever you think feels the best or whichever one you can find the best price.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Either the Mossberg 500 or the Remmington 870 will treat you fine. Good pieces of hardware at good prices. You don't necessarily need the pistol grip but I would get the shortest barrel you can get and the longest tube to hold as many shells as possible (I believe they will hold 9 shells). Load them up with 00 buckshot and you have the perfect home defense weapon.

Oh and I'd get the synthetic stock and stainless barrel so that you can just store it somewhere and not worry about humidity and rust and stuff.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
Sawing off is illegal. It makes it easier to conceal

I thought sawing off the barrel was illegal as their is a minumum barrel lenght, I am talking about the stock. You may be right though...I am still trying to learn as much info as possible.

Kreon

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2006
If it's for home defense, make sure the pump makes a loud noise (to scare the piss out of the intruder)
and that it isn't powerful enough to go through walls, you don't wanna hit your child/sig other/pet though it shouldn't be a major problem

My thoughts, hope they help

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
A wise word of advice:

Think about the type of shotgun that you want to buy to use in a self-defense situation. Depending on where you live, that firearm may have to be turned over as evidence. Now, think again; what type of firearm do you want the prosecution showing to a jury of possibly firearm ignorant people? You want them to see a scary, matte-black, pistol-grip shotgun with a heatshield? So, for home defense, purchase something that looks like a grandfather would use. Something old-school with a wood stock.

People typically choose a firearm that looks cool without thinking of the legal ramifications of their decision. Just food for thought.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
A wise word of advice:

Think about the type of shotgun that you want to buy to use in a self-defense situation. Depending on where you live, that firearm may have to be turned over as evidence. Now, think again; what type of firearm do you want the prosecution showing to a jury of possibly firearm ignorant people? You want them to see a scary, matte-black, pistol-grip shotgun with a heatshield? So, for home defense, purchase something that looks like a grandfather would use. Something old-school with a wood stock.

People typically choose a firearm that looks cool without thinking of the legal ramifications of their decision. Just food for thought.

Wise man....thanks for this advice...I'll keep this in mind

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
Stay away from the pistol grip only as with a 12GA it is not very good grip..

I would say a winchester defender or the mossberg 590W and sportsmansguide sells a top folder stock so you have the pistol grip and then a full stock when really needed.

the winchester is a heavier gun also,goto the local sporting goods stoire and actually check some out.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Kreon
If it's for home defense, make sure the pump makes a loud noise (to scare the piss out of the intruder)
and that it isn't powerful enough to go through walls, you don't wanna hit your child/sig other/pet though it shouldn't be a major problem

Which brings me back to my original question. Is a 12 guage overkill? I was also going to ask what kind of ammunition is good enough (stopping/killing power) but not something that will make problems for me if it does go through a wall. Does such ammo exist?

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I have the 500 and I'm very happy w it. I seriously considered the 870 but I like the position of the slide release better on the 500. To each his own, both are good weapons. The 870 is a little more expensive and some say better. Go to the shop and hold each in your hand and go w whatever you like better.

A wise word of advice:

Exactly why I think my friend needs to get rid of the 6 shot side saddle and 5 shot folding stock. He thinks it looks badass but I told him if you ever actually fired every round in your house at an intruder you would do more damage than whatever they were going to steal.

Kreon

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: NetWareHead

Which brings me back to my original question. Is a 12 guage overkill? I was also going to ask what kind of ammunition is good enough (stopping/killing power) but not something that will make problems for me if it does go through a wall. Does such ammo exist?

I don't know about ammo, but I would imagine slug would be out of the question...
Buck maybe??

I'm unfamiliar with stopping powers of walls

Just be sure (if there is an intruder) to shoot to kill!
If he survives, he can twist the story, and you could ned up paying dearly for letting a scumbag live

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
A wise word of advice:

Wow, very good advice!

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: NetWareHead

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

edit: I've always wondered what the legal ramification your first round being birdshot to almost serve as a warning. Hit him with that and if he is still coming then your next round is the real deal. If it comes out in court that you may have done that with the intention of not killing him and then you hit him in the head and did kill him "accidentally" you could end possibly up in a legal sh1t storm. I'm of the opinion that if you fire your weapon at someone you do so with and only with the intention to kill them but in the end I really don't want to have to do that.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i think i would use small buckshot , like 4 (6.0 mm) or 2 (6.9 mm) so you get more chances to hit the guy
<shrugs>

Feb 24, 2001
Anything strong enough to immediately incapacitate someone is going to go through walls. Unless you start getting into the new blending frangible rounds, which are insanely expensive and impossible to find.

If you are looking at a pump for price reasons, fine. For reliability reasons...not so. It'll be far more reliable than you are...

Jan 31, 2002
Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are both good suggestions.

However, anyone telling you to use anything less than double-ought buck is wrong, wrong, wrong. Especially the "rubber bullets" suggestions. You're not shooting rock-salt to scare a dog off your land - you're shooting to kill an intruder. If you're not okay with the fact that you may need to end someone's life, you should not own a firearm.

- M4H

Jan 31, 2002
A wise word of advice:

Up theirs. I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

- M4H

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
yeah, the box of truth link is good, it says

"In fact, tests have shown that even #4 Buckshot lacks the necessary penetration to reach the vital organs. Only 0 Buck, 00 Buck, and 000 Buck penetrate enough to reach the vital organs."

'0' is 8.1 mm and 9 Pellets/oz

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are both good suggestions.

However, anyone telling you to use anything less than double-ought buck is wrong, wrong, wrong. Especially the "rubber bullets" suggestions. You're not shooting rock-salt to scare a dog off your land - you're shooting to kill an intruder. If you're not okay with the fact that you may need to end someone's life, you should not own a firearm.

- M4H

That's what I'm saying too. Get the short barrel (so they spread quicker) and the longer tube (in case you suck at shooting or multiple attackers) and fill 'er up with 00 buckshot. WTF would I load rubber bullets in my shotgun? So the attacker can fire his 9 mm at me while I piss around with non-leathal bullets?