Need Immediate help w/ Gigabyte GA-965P DS3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StopSign

Dec 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Cheex
Will I be able to get 3.5GHz (I know it varies from chip to chip) with my setup????
Don't count on it. 3.2 Is pretty much guaranteed but it's hard to go above that. I've pushed mine to 3.3 before but it wasn't stable and I haven't bothered tweaking it.

digitizer123

Feb 23, 2007

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you just got lucky with your processor. I have a DS3 and an E4300, as well as Super Talent Ram (like you) and I can't clock over 3.0GHz. You got lucky, congrats.[/quote]

If you have the same setup . . my ram is going all the way up to 770 even though it is DDR667 - if you have the same setup and sufficient cooling make sure
1) mobo bios is updated to F10
2) my Memory timing set to 5,5,5,15
3) make sure all the stuff in your mobo that you don't use is disabled
4) I notied system runs better when I leave the voltage settings in auto / let mobo control it. it will adjust according to FSB if needed. If I manually raise vcore for stability it seems to run a bit hotter and at that point temp becomes the issue.

digitizer123

Feb 23, 2007
Great going...

I just hope that my DS3 will be able to take my E6300 to where I want it...3.5GHz (wishful thinking maybe but hey)...
At least 3.2GHz though would be nice.

Yes - I love this mobo, I have no doubt in the ability of this board once the bios is updated to latest F10 but for 6300 to get there you will need really fast ram - even faster than 800. E4300 will do the same with cheaper 667 ram because of the 9X multiplier.

digitizer123

Feb 23, 2007
[/quote]

Are you "stable" with Prime95 or Orthos? How long are you running the tests? I can't get Orthos stable past 3.2 even with 1.45v. You must have one heck of a chip or you aren't running Orthos long enough to be hitting that a/c with so little +core.
[/quote]

Stable running Prime 95 torture test for more than 2 hours - this is the forth time running - but full load torture test pushes the core temps around 65 - idle is around 35 - 65 is hot but according to all the post I have read 65 for torture test is acceptable according to most - even when you are doing hard core cpu intesive stuff and pushing your cpu it will still be 10c lower than torture test. As such I expect to see temp in the mid 50s under load - but I will be monitoring.

StopSign

Dec 15, 2006
Originally posted by: digitizer123
Are you "stable" with Prime95 or Orthos? How long are you running the tests? I can't get Orthos stable past 3.2 even with 1.45v. You must have one heck of a chip or you aren't running Orthos long enough to be hitting that a/c with so little +core.
Stable running Prime 95 torture test for more than 2 hours - this is the forth time running - but full load torture test pushes the core temps around 65 - idle is around 35 - 65 is hot but according to all the post I have read 65 for torture test is acceptable according to most - even when you are doing hard core cpu intesive stuff and pushing your cpu it will still be 10c lower than torture test. As such I expect to see temp in the mid 50s under load - but I will be monitoring.
Run Orthos or Intel TAT instead of Prime95.

digitizer123

Feb 23, 2007

[/quote]
Run Orthos or Intel TAT instead of Prime95.
[/quote]

Intel TAT would substitute prime 95????? Intel TAT just reads temps right? If not I am even better offf . . . Every time I am running prime 95 in torture mode I have zpu-z, core temp, speedfan, and Intel TAT running as well. Are you inplying that Intel TAT is running a test of it's own as wee ??????

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Intel TAT can stress your cores individually a lot more than Orthos by using the workload level function. It has a throttle capability too.

digitizer123

Feb 23, 2007
No comments on my memory?....:(

With a good cooler you should be able to get pretty close to your goal of 3.5. But my suggestion is to back off a bit once you have found a stable setup and acceptable temp. My setup is stable @ 3.42 torture test running for hours, still I chose to back off to 3.3. But I think you could get faster ram @ that price - look at hoy deals forum.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002

I'm pretty sure you just got lucky with your processor. I have a DS3 and an E4300, as well as Super Talent Ram (like you) and I can't clock over 3.0GHz. You got lucky, congrats.[/quote]

If you have the same setup . . my ram is going all the way up to 770 even though it is DDR667 - if you have the same setup and sufficient cooling make sure
1) mobo bios is updated to F10
2) my Memory timing set to 5,5,5,15
3) make sure all the stuff in your mobo that you don't use is disabled
4) I notied system runs better when I leave the voltage settings in auto / let mobo control it. it will adjust according to FSB if needed. If I manually raise vcore for stability it seems to run a bit hotter and at that point temp becomes the issue.
[/quote]

Dude... you got a good chip. I've tried many settings, including the 4 that you have posted, and I can't get over 3.0Ghz without failing Orthos. Can't you just be happy that you got lucky?

digitizer123

Feb 23, 2007

[/quote]

Dude... you got a good chip. I've tried many settings, including the 4 that you have posted, and I can't get over 3.0Ghz without failing Orthos. Can't you just be happy that you got lucky?
[/quote]

OK I am happy now - thanks really started to think 3.5 is almost definite for a e4300 with Ds3 - I think I am looking at the OC record too much and forgetting reality.

Thanks.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
:p Good. If you go check out the E4300 overclocking thread, you'll see that you have one of the highest clocked chips for your voltage.

digitizer123

Feb 23, 2007
what do guys think my odds are of getting a higher OC with better Ram??? If I keep the vcore at default and instead get 800/900 ram and increase FSB from 380 to 450 . . . will that work? will the cpu run hotter even though the vcore is untouched???

StopSign

Dec 15, 2006
450 FSB will bring you over 4 GHz...

And yes, Intel TAT has a stress testing feature in addition to monitoring temperatures. Run that stress test. Prime95 isn't very good for dual-core processors.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
what do guys think my odds are of getting a higher OC with better Ram??? If I keep the vcore at default and instead get 800/900 ram and increase FSB from 380 to 450 . . . will that work? will the cpu run hotter even though the vcore is untouched???

Relax your RAM timings to 6-6-6-15 and then try to up the FSB. And push +.2V to your DDR. That should allow the SuperTalent RAM to reach 900mhz, and see what's limiting you then. In all honesty, I think you should be content with 3.4Ghz from an E4300 :)

digitizer123

Feb 23, 2007
Q]

Relax your RAM timings to 6-6-6-15 and then try to up the FSB. And push +.2V to your DDR. That should allow the SuperTalent RAM to reach 900mhz, and see what's limiting you then. In all honesty, I think you should be content with 3.4Ghz from an E4300 :)[/quote]

I am thrilled - very happy with my OC but I must admit I am curious, and want to explore how far I can go. I know the thing about curiosity killing the cat. But hey I spent a lot of valuable time reading up to get to this point and let me tell you it was not just to save a couple hundred $$$$ - it was the curiosity. I know it makes no sence to a lot of people but that's me. And I think a lot of people can relate to this.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Then, relax your RAM timings to what I proposed, increase your DDR Voltage +.2v, and give it hell :)

The ram should definitely be able to run well past 400Mhz if you do that.

Edit: Your Northbridge might need more juice as well

For your voltages I recommend:

DDR: +.2v
PCIE (don't touch)
FSB: +.1v
gmch: +.2v

Let us know if you have any success.

digitizer123

Feb 23, 2007
Ok . . . NO GO . . . . Tried your suggestions/setting first with adjusting the voltage as you suggested - won't boot . . had to reset BIOS then tried again , this time only changing the memory timing and not mess with the voltage . . . still won't boot. I only raise the FSB by 10 mhz and still won't boot. It seems this systems is topping off at 385 FSB but if I change to your settings it won't even do that.
Bytheway . . . did you realize the ram is 667, and it is already running close to 800 . . . do you really think it will do 900 ?????
I guess the only way to find out is to put a couple of sticks of faster ram . . . .
Thanks though . . . . .

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
digitizer- In the Hot Deal for the ram thread there were reports of it pushing 900+. Something that could be happening is that your motherboard has a FSB hole where it won't post at all if you set it to that frequency. Try 401 MHz for the FSB. If keep the timings relaxed, and mess around with the voltage. The FSB holes are most prevalent around 370-400Mhz

ncage

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2001
Hi . . .
Got my GA 965P-DS3 and E4300, 2 GB of 667 DDR2, and an aftermarket cpu cooler. I plan to OC around 3.5. After reading a lot of threads and articles it seemed like the best option for me. I was hoping for a revision 3.3 on the mobo but I got a revision 2.0. The store that sold me the stuff says it's no big deal just update the bios and it will be same as rev 3.3. But Gigabyte customer support says that even after updating BIOS there is a difference . . . Rev 2.0 will do 1066 FSB and may be a little more, but the rev 3.3 will do 1333 FSB. What does this mean? I understand my E4300 is at 533 FSB - is 1066 FSB on the mobo enough to get around 3.5 ghz provided the memory and the cooler permits. Should I go through the hassel of taking everything apart and return ? I really don't want to do that if I don't have to.... Please advise

Thanks

I have a revesion 1 of that motherboard and im doing 3.6ghz with a e6400. I have g.skill hz ram. I wouldn't worry to much.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm OCing a friend's system here, a new DS3 (rev 3.3 I think, it has the FSB1333 sticker on the box), F10 bios, a C2D E6300, and 4 of those SuperTalent DDR2-667 modules installed. Leaving all of the voltages at default (manual setting, not auto), and clocking the FSB to ~430Mhz, PCI-E to 100Mhz, DDR2 ratio at 2.0, C1E and EIST disabled, will boot, load Windows, and run Prime95 stable.

But pushing any futher than that, *regardless* of voltage increases, seems futile and leads to non-booting or boot loops. What's up with that? I've tried Vdimm +0.4v (2.2v), Vfsb +0.1v, Vcore @ 1.35v or 1.4v, but can't get 450Mhz FSB to boot, nevermind Prime95 testing. I can't imagine that this chip tops out at 3.01Ghz, nor that this mobo tops out at 430Mhz FSB, since Gary Key in the official thread talks about getting chips up to 500Mhz FSB. The only thing that I can think of is that the RAM won't run at 900Mhz, even at very relaxed timings (5-7-7-x, I think) and 2.2v. But would RAM cause non-booting scenarios? I would just think it would prevent booting into Windows, but no POST???

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Virtual Larry.
For one, the DS3 is a hit-or-miss board. A lot of people have had problems overclocking with them. You might need to RMA it.

or it might be the chipset cooling, airflow, or the cpu itself (not all procs can OC the same). I have that problem at 470FSB, even at lower multipliers.
is there any beeps? what you need to do is run a divider so the RAM stays at 667 and then up the FSB until you can't run stable anymore. If it doesn't post at all, try running with the case side off and put a fan over the NB HS. you might be able to push it another 5 FSB. If that is so, then you might need a new NB HS.

digitizer123

Feb 23, 2007
Got the new OCZ DDR2 800 dual channel - installed it - and still bios won't post beypnd 380 FSB - I expected the new faster memory would resolve the issue. I see absolutely no difference going from Super Talent 667 to OCZ 800 - makes no sense - I might be doing something wrong. I remember reading somewhere something about this motherboard having issue with faster memory requiring more voltage . . . 2.1/2.2 etc. While the default voltage the mobo send to memory module is 1.8. It was mentioned that you would first have to borrow memory that require 1.8 volt, boot, change memory voltage in BIOS, save then reboot with DDR 800 - OR SOMETHING . . . . I am still not sure if that relates to me. That issue might have been resolved with a BIOS update and no longer valid. That makes no sense since my system recognige the new RAM and boots fine with previous setting.
Anyway . . . do I need to manually increase the DDR voltage say by +0.3 or something? Does PC6400 run at doifferent voltage than PC5400 - please advise . . . .