Question Need help with no internet problem

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I had left my computer on for the last 3 days as it was doing some backup work to my NAS. I decided to restart it this morning and after I did, the internet came on but then went off. I tried doing troubleshooting, but that didn't fix anything. I then went to device manager to uninstall the network adapter but it just kept uninstalling. It wouldn't stop. It tried to uninstall for over 15 minutes. The green bar just kept moving but nothing is happened.
I then restarted the computer, and when it came back on, the internet worked for a couple of minutes and then it just went off on this computer. There is network and internet everywhere else just not on my computer.
When I did a troubleshoot again the ethernet adapter became disabled and I could not enable it. I had to do a restart and the same thing happened. The internet came on, but after a couple of minutes it went off and nothing I did could fix it.
I am trying to uninstall the driver again, but it is doing the same thing. It just keeps running.
What do I need to try? I've never had anything like this happen before, so I'm kind of lost on what else I need to try.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are you on Verizon? They're recently been implementing IPv6 support for some areas of customers. Perhaps it is now showing up as IPv6-capable, but failing somehow to connect. (Try disabling IPv6.)

That, or your NIC died. It happens. Replace it with a PCI-E RealTek 8125B card, that's a 2.5gbe card. Should be $20-25 USD.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
No, not on Verizon. Internet to the whole house is good. Just my main computer is not getting it.
Well, when I restart the computer it works for 2 minutes or so, and then quits. This board is only 2 years old. It is still under warranty, but I don't want to mess with something this small if that is what it is.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
That does sound more like software. Like something's loading, and killing your connection.
It could simply be the drivers if it's not the cable.

When I boot my laptop the WIFI connects and then drops but will reconnect on its own if I wait it out but, I can manually connect quicker.

In the past I've had issues with intel drivers being a bit wonky and causing issues that are really weird. I had one instance I was chasing for over a month that caused random reboots and Windows was reporting it as a kernel-power issue. Tried a different power brick and that wasn't the issue nor was power the issue. Botted into Linux for a couple of days and had no reboots. Grabbed DDU to purge all of the GPU drivers and reinstall them on reboot / problem resolved.

Right now I'm fighting with another odd issue where the touchpad goes nuts and takes control of the cursor for a few minutes but, this one is a bit more perplexing as there's no real driver that can be tweaked and some hints it might be the bios but, since it's a new system there's only 2 bios releases. The one installed is newer than the one posted for download. Soft reboots don't' fix the issue when I don't' feel like fighting it but hard reboots do. I tried my linux trick and it doesn't seem like it's a driver issue as it's still quirky under linux.

So, it's worth looking at drivers as an issue on the Ethernet side. On my server setup it's using an RTL 2.5GE on board which doesn't work natively w/o blacklisting the driver to force it to use the newer version to activate the port. Port works fine with this setup but, if I need to boot from a Live image it doesn't work w/o the blacklisting or using another card / adapter.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I tried new cables but no go.
I put in a different card and it is working now for 10 minutes and no problems at all. I guess the card on the board went bad. Is that a bad sign for the board?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
New card works, indicates bad port. The board and other components should be fine. It's just something to keep in the back of the your mind though if it starts acting up then it's time to make a plan on replacement or upgrade.

Things fail over time, it's normal. There's no imminent failure indicator just by a port dying though.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
Well, it just shows that I'm not that smart I guess. I put the new card in. I went and checked on the driver for the old card in windows and it said was the best driver for it. Well, I went to the Asus site and downloaded the driver for the card for my board, hooked up the internet to the old card, installed the new driver and it has been working for 15 minutes. Somehow the driver went bad or microsoft or something corrupted it. I guess I should have tried that sooner, but getting to the internet was kind of hard.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, it just shows that I'm not that smart I guess. I put the new card in. I went and checked on the driver for the old card in windows and it said was the best driver for it. Well, I went to the Asus site and downloaded the driver for the card for my board, hooked up the internet to the old card, installed the new driver and it has been working for 15 minutes. Somehow the driver went bad or microsoft or something corrupted it. I guess I should have tried that sooner, but getting to the internet was kind of hard.
It's times like these, that I keep a TrendNet USB Gigabit adapter with a realtek chipset that's supported by in-box drivers handy. Also, when installing a mobo with LAN too new to be supported by in-box drivers, so I can get online and get LAN drivers.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Drivers + Windows always seems to be a game.

In my server setup I'm using Linux but, the RTL port on the board requires some finessing to get the current driver to load on boot which makes some recovery operations a bit more of a PITA than they need to be. I also, have a 5GE USB adapter I keep on hand when I don't' feel like messing with the drivers and just plug it in and go.

Having spare Ethernet adapters is a good thing to do in my book and when it's critical it gives you access you're missing when something goes haywire. I mean I run this Linux box as my router and some other functions so, if it goes down it's problematic for the rest of the devices on the LAN. Sometimes when updating the kernel the devs miss something and the e-port card doesn't fire up on reboot and requires a roll back to the prior kernel to get things fixed and working again.

On the other side my ADL laptop is fussing with the touchpad having a mind of its own periodically and there's no direct driver to attempt a fix with but, a hard reboot clears it or waiting it out for a couple of minutes seems to work as well.

There always seems to be something that likes to freak out randomly in Windows.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I'm thinking of just getting a new controller. If there is some type of issue, I want to steer clear of it. Recommended controller replacement? Thanks.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well, if it's the onboard Ethernet there's not much you can do to replace it other than the whole MOBO. The card option though can be whatever you choose to put into the slot. It's all a preference though as you can choose from 1-10gbps or higher depending on your needs.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Any card will do. I run higher end 5GE 4-port from QNAP for my server / LAN but, a cheap $10 Ethernet card will get the job done. There's not really any pro over another at gigabit speeds. When you go higher the chipset does make a difference in performance / cost.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
ZGRANDMA, MAYBE. Why go backward? Modern up-market (above $100) mobos include 2.5gbe as standard, and Comcast and Verizon re both in the process of deploying 2+ gbit services.
Once again.... if you don't have something on the other end capable it's pointless to spend more than you need for basic connectivity.

Now, if OP was planning a LAN upgrade to take advantage of a faster NAS connection or something along those lines I would dive into my spiel about 2.5 / 5GE options.