Question Need help choosing HDDs for RAID 5

ananmakoto

Oct 28, 2019
I was looking for some advice on what would be most cost effective. My plan was to use 3 drives in a RAID 5 array. This would be for home use to store my media files. I was looking at HDDs in the 6-8 TB range in size. I'm a little bit lost on how concerned I should be with the RPM of the drives and if I should even bother with the drives that have enterprise features.

Thanks for the help.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
IIRC, you want WD golds. Its been a while since I did anything with RAID though. EDIT: is this for a NAS? type server? What RAID controller are you using, or is it software? For a home NAS, reds red pros should be fine.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Is this your only desktop? If so you should have a backup solution, which RAID is not. Also, what are the specs of this desktop and what RAID card would you use, if any?

I would recommend going another direction and getting a dedicated NAS. It could even be built out of an old computer, using freenas or the like.

ananmakoto

Oct 28, 2019
Yes, it's my only desktop.
Here are the specs:

Intel Core i7-9700K
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi
Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 3600MHz
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB - System Drive
no RAID card

NAS would be something further down the line when I have more money. In the meantime, I need to replace the two older drives I was using for media storage. Should I just not even bother with RAID?

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I wouldn't bother with the built in motherboard RAID. Can just be headaches, I would just have storage drives individually with backups.

Reactions: corkyg