• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Need help choosing HDDs for RAID 5

ananmakoto

Oct 28, 2019
I was looking for some advice on what would be most cost effective. My plan was to use 3 drives in a RAID 5 array. This would be for home use to store my media files. I was looking at HDDs in the 6-8 TB range in size. I'm a little bit lost on how concerned I should be with the RPM of the drives and if I should even bother with the drives that have enterprise features.

Thanks for the help.

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
IIRC, you want WD golds. Its been a while since I did anything with RAID though. EDIT: is this for a NAS? type server? What RAID controller are you using, or is it software? For a home NAS, reds red pros should be fine.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Is this your only desktop? If so you should have a backup solution, which RAID is not. Also, what are the specs of this desktop and what RAID card would you use, if any?

I would recommend going another direction and getting a dedicated NAS. It could even be built out of an old computer, using freenas or the like.

ananmakoto

Oct 28, 2019
Yes, it's my only desktop.
Here are the specs:

Intel Core i7-9700K
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi
Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 3600MHz
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB - System Drive
no RAID card

NAS would be something further down the line when I have more money. In the meantime, I need to replace the two older drives I was using for media storage. Should I just not even bother with RAID?

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I wouldn't bother with the built in motherboard RAID. Can just be headaches, I would just have storage drives individually with backups.

Reactions: corkyg

ASK THE COMMUNITY