Need grippy material that doesn't stick

Tairin

Dec 7, 2017
Hey, I am designing a bracket that goes around a cylindrical like post. it cannot be attached physically to the post and only held on by friction to the post but must be able to withstand a decent amount of downward force. Does anyone know of some rubber like material that i can put between the bracket and post to help keep it in place?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
WTFBBQ. Tell us what you're doing or stay home.

A bracket on a post is physically attached to it. Maybe you mean not thermally or electrically connected? Why must there be ANY medium between the bracket and post?

What is a decent amount of downward force? What is the temperature range it must operate within and the budget, and lifespan?

Would rubber qualify as a rubber like material? If not what is wrong with rubber? The answer to that gets us halfway there.

Why does it need to be rubber like? Why not duct tape since it solves most problems, or super glue since it's quick and easy?

What about hot glue or bubblegum or pasta or ??

Does the bracket need to be readjusted? With sufficient clamping force even a teflon sheet would allow that.

I'm just giving you some feedback to chew on, why the ideal solution depends on a specific situation that's less vague.

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
Complete shot in the dark, but what about something like a hose clamp? Possibly with some foam or similar between it and the cylinder if needed.

Reactions: Mike64

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
A picture/sketch?

Having no idea what you're trying to accomplish:

Scotch Extreme Double Stick Tape
71LtUBB4baL._SL1180_.jpg

Or Velcro:

why-do-Velcro-fasteners-make-a-ripping-sound-when-they-are-pulled-apart.jpg

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
A silicone rubber pad wedged between the bracket and post might work. This stuff is non-sticky, yet it keeps things from sliding (I use pieces of it on a couple of little holders/platforms I use to rest my snowboard on when I'm waxing it; the board remains firmly cemented in place even as I scrape the wax off).

It comes in different thicknesses, or you could just roll it around the post a couple of times or bunch it up.

https://www.amazon.com/SILICONE-RUBBER-SHEET-ORANGE-COMMERCIAL/dp/B00XLVN5ZC

Reactions: Mike64