Need a new sound system for my new home

Saving

Oct 6, 2017
I just moved from a 1 bedroom apartment to a house where the upstairs 'attic' is a full-on entertainment den. Mid-way in the room I have a 60" flatscreen mounted on the wall centered on the couch that is ~13 feet back flush against the opposite wall -- which is the main seating area of movies/gaming/etc.

My current setup that I bought in college 6 years ago is provided at the end. I initially thought I should get two more speakers and mount them behind the couch for surround sound but running the cables is an issue due to the room setup. I've also read that you want space behind the seating area for the back speakers otherwise a 2.1 or 3.1 setup is much better suited.

My budget is 1-2k and I love my deep bass (for movies and music!). Many places seem to recommend the wireless SONOS 3.1 setup or a BOSE system - what are the thoughts on these? If I go with a 5.1 setup I would want wireless due to the logistics issues. I am upgrading to a 4k TV early next year and run my cable, PS4, and Xbox through my current receiver so would need sufficient setup to run those going forward (I don't think my current receiver supports 4k).

Is anything from my current setup salvageable -- or worth it? Should I sell what I can and get a wireless system or go for a scale-able 5.1 receiver with a 2.1 or 3.1 setup to start?

Current setup:
  1. A Sony STRDH720 7.1 receiver https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH720-Receiver-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B004QOA92A
  2. Two Sony SSF-7000 4' floor speakers (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OG4E2U/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1)
  3. A BIC America F12 12-inch 475-Watt Sub (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A8Y5M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
is that 1-2k for everything?

bose is way overrated/overpriced for what you get
sonos is ok for whole home, nor sure how its 5.1 works

Saving

Oct 6, 2017
Yes, 1-2k for everything is preferred. I'd be willing to do a receiver, sub, and either a center or two fronts to start and expand to more individual speakers as needed if the price on quality demands it. Another option, if any of my current equipment is usable, is getting new speakers and using the sub and receiver for a couple months and filling in the rest along the way until I need the 4k ready receiver.

The room is 28' L x 12' W x 6'10" H. There's an additional 2' alcove to the right of the TV where I would put the sub. Here are come pictures to give you a better idea...please excuse the huge mess -- still unpacking!

CZblAaZ
-- Entry into the room coming up the stairs
tLWmu2K
-- View from opposite end of the room
U5D4qIV
-- View from the couch

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
a good sub will be the most expensive part, figure 600 or so
then throw in 300+ for an avr ( i like accesories4less for refurbs)
you have the rest for speakers

internet direct companies, like i linked, are good values, and often have in home trials with free shipping

Saving

Oct 6, 2017
Do not get bose.

Need dimensions of the room.
Supplied in another reply...not sure if you get notifications on general replies to the thread so posting them again here for you: The room is 28' L x 12' W x 6'10" H.

Saving

Oct 6, 2017
a good sub will be the most expensive part, figure 600 or so
then throw in 300+ for an avr ( i like accesories4less for refurbs)
you have the rest for speakers

internet direct companies, like i linked, are good values, and often have in home trials with free shipping

So you're recommending I stick with wired and just upgrade the same setup I currently have? get the sub, a good AVR that can do 4k and speakers where I have them not, just better? I don't want to run wires all around the room for the surround sound back speakers - is sticking with wired connections worth not having those?

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
So you're recommending I stick with wired and just upgrade the same setup I currently have? get the sub, a good AVR that can do 4k and speakers where I have them not, just better? I don't want to run wires all around the room for the surround sound back speakers - is sticking with wired connections worth not having those?

imho yes, wired are fine
and actually a better value.
wireless will require and amplifier in each speaker as well as power
nothing is truly wireless

start with 3.1 at the front, it may be enough for you.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
btw, the f12 is considered a decent budget sub
sony core speakers are also considered good budget speakers
so what you have is not really that bad.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
If you're not a pure audiophile and just want to run a 5.1 setup with rears, I'd suggest trying out the rocketfish "wireless" rear speaker kit. It's not truly wireless, but it's worked for my setup and it keeps the wife happy with no wires running from the receiver to the rears behind our couch. Also, I'd throw in a recommendation for EmpTek as an internet direct shop for speakers. I have their Impression series center and L/R bookshelfs as well as their I-12 sub (rears are my old Energy Take minis for now). Love these speakers, but I'm not an audiophile. I mainly watch tv/movies with the setup, no music.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Supplied in another reply...not sure if you get notifications on general replies to the thread so posting them again here for you: The room is 28' L x 12' W x 6'10" H.

You should be able to run speaker wires in attic.

You want good bass in that room you are going to need a decent sub. Are you handy enough to build your own sub?

Need to shift right speaker further right.

Your surround placement is challenging.

Saving

Oct 6, 2017
You should be able to run speaker wires in attic.

You want good bass in that room you are going to need a decent sub. Are you handy enough to build your own sub?

Need to shift right speaker further right.

Your surround placement is challenging.

1. I CAN run wires in the attic, but I don't own the house yet. So until I do I don't want to run it through the walls or under the carpet meaning my only option is floorboard or where the wall meets the ceiling all the way around the room from the back to the front (to put in back speakers). While this isn't impossible it's not something I want to do until I'm sure I'm going to purchase the house in 1-2 years.
  2. I would rather not build my own sub, but I'm willing to shell out for a decent one.
  3. Understood, I will shift the right speaker over more, it's just where it ended up when I unpacked things.
  4. Do you mean my current placement is challenging or my room dimensions/setup make it challenging (which I agree with)?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
  1. I CAN run wires in the attic, but I don't own the house yet. So until I do I don't want to run it through the walls or under the carpet meaning my only option is floorboard or where the wall meets the ceiling all the way around the room from the back to the front (to put in back speakers). While this isn't impossible it's not something I want to do until I'm sure I'm going to purchase the house in 1-2 years.
  2. I would rather not build my own sub, but I'm willing to shell out for a decent one.
  3. Understood, I will shift the right speaker over more, it's just where it ended up when I unpacked things.
  4. Do you mean my current placement is challenging or my room dimensions/setup make it challenging (which I agree with)?

Even if you go with some sort of wireless surround, they still need to be powered somehow. So you are going to have a wire to each speaker no matter what.

Because you are using the long side of the room for your seating area and it is right against the wall, your surround speaker placement become challenging. Dipoles on shelves or hanging on the wall is likely only option, but yoh don't want to run wire or make holes.

Good subs are expensive. And you have a big space to fill.

This is fairly easy to build.

https://spinditty.com/instruments-g...your-own-DIY-sonosub-style-cylinder-subwoofer

Saving

Oct 6, 2017
if your not sure, just stick with 3.1 for now

I think I'm going to start with the 3.1 and expand beyond that as my situation changes. I'm going to start with first getting a center speaker to bring my current setup into 3.1 to see how I like it and then I can upgrade the existing floor-standing speakers, sub, and receiver.

Based on the two websites you gave me, would you recommend I get the CCB-8 (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/ccb-8.html) speaker to put as a center or should I go with either the SVS Ultra-center speaker (https://www.svsound.com/collections/speakers/products/ultra-center) or Prime Center (https://www.svsound.com/collections/speakers/products/prime-center)?

Thanks so much for all the help everyone, I'm getting excited :)

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
i would pick a center based on what you want to buy for floors in the future, what do you think your budget may be, pick the center to go in that direction

Saving

Oct 6, 2017

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The first thing I would do before buying anything is move the TV down about 3-4 feet and do some wire management. Why is your TV so high up on the wall, nearly touching the ceiling?

If you want any kind of power (in your price range) I'd steer clear of any wireless technology.

Saving

Oct 6, 2017
The first thing I would do before buying anything is move the TV down about 3-4 feet and do some wire management. Why is your TV so high up on the wall, nearly touching the ceiling?

If you want any kind of power (in your price range) I'd steer clear of any wireless technology.

It's up that high because I just moved into the house a little over a week ago, and the existing owner had his TV mounted there. He has a cut-out behind the TV with an outlet that he had his wires running through. Once I get the rest of my things settled and unpacked I'm going to drill a hole in the wall behind my electronics stand and run the wires through that way to get rid of the eyesore.

I'm not sure I agree that the height is bad, why do you believe it is? Moving it down 3 feet would literally put it 10 inches above the ground. It's only just under 4ft off the ground and the couch is 12 feet back from it, centered. My desk and recliner to the right and left of the couch also benefit from the slightly higher mounting due to their viewing angles.

I have decided to go with wired. I got the SVS Ultra center and will get the ulta-towers and one of their subs over the next few months and slowly grow to a solid 3.1. If/when my situation changes I'll go to 5.1 when I have some space behind my couch.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's up that high because I just moved into the house a little over a week ago, and the existing owner had his TV mounted there. He has a cut-out behind the TV with an outlet that he had his wires running through. Once I get the rest of my things settled and unpacked I'm going to drill a hole in the wall behind my electronics stand and run the wires through that way to get rid of the eyesore.

I'm not sure I agree that the height is bad, why do you believe it is? Moving it down 3 feet would literally put it 10 inches above the ground. It's only just under 4ft off the ground and the couch is 12 feet back from it, centered. My desk and recliner to the right and left of the couch also benefit from the slightly higher mounting due to their viewing angles.

I have decided to go with wired. I got the SVS Ultra center and will get the ulta-towers and one of their subs over the next few months and slowly grow to a solid 3.1. If/when my situation changes I'll go to 5.1 when I have some space behind my couch.

4ft is too tall. your eye level should be at center line of the tv.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Unless you watch TV standing all the time, it's way too high. As @sdifox mentioned, ideally you want the center of the TV to be eye level at your viewing position. Looking up to watch TV is going to cause a strain on your neck very quickly, and then on top of that you're going to have a poor viewing angle.

Obviously things like reclining and other factors can change real world scenarios of what "ideal" means, but that's the general rule of thumb.

Lewy

Aug 22, 2001
I gave up on multi-channel years ago in order to concentrate my $ on high quality 2 channel equipment
because I mainly listen to music but I've found that a truly excellent two channel system is much better than a good anything else. Check in online audio mags etc and look at:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings?order_by=created_at+DESC
and
https://www.whathifi.com/
and
http://www.high-endaudio.com/

A lot depends on your room and good speaker placement and how much you can afford.Buying second hand yon can some real bargains but study what your buying and hear it too. A top of the-llne receiver end a pair of well matched excellent speakers is a good start.