(NECRO) Anyone ever have appendicitis? [UPDATE PIC] Appendix out!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
If you are worried about aesthetics, that 2nd bellybutton type scar will be with you for awhile, at least mine is still here :p so will the longer one on the left hand side. 3 years after surgery and mine are still visible but slowly diminishing, the smaller one lower down I can't find anymore, but was visible for a few months.

Want to get rid of it faster? Cocoa butter.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Yup, already there and have been for awhile, doesn't do too much, but i figured better to use it than not.

Well you also have to "work" the area too to break up the scar tissue. That's why the bottom one isn't visible anymore - it moves around/gets rubbed on by your waistline/etc. The other two don't really get much work given their locations.

Apr 20, 2008
I initially read that as penis length. D:

Dear god you're furry! That's gonna be a bit awkward looking at the beach, no?

We wear shirts at the Oregon coast. It's only 75F on the warmest of days there.

I'm a hairy dude, and I'm thinking about shaving it all off as my wife has never seen me not furry.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
We wear shirts at the Oregon coast. It's only 75F on the warmest of days there.

I'm a hairy dude, and I'm thinking about shaving it all off as my wife has never seen me not furry.

You should, at least in the meantime, have fun with it.

Shave some zebra stripes or some artwork into it first. Record wife's reaction at first sight. Post lulz for us to enjoy.

(BTW: I'm not poking fun so much at your furridness in general - but the fact that you're now "half" furry - cause that's gonna fucking SUCK in about 2 days. Trust me - I thought mine was bad...)

Apr 20, 2008
You should, at least in the meantime, have fun with it.

Shave some zebra stripes or some artwork into it first. Record wife's reaction at first sight. Post lulz for us to enjoy.

(BTW: I'm not poking fun so much at your furridness in general - but the fact that you're now "half" furry - cause that's gonna fucking SUCK in about 2 days. Trust me - I thought mine was bad...)

It sucks, and I'm feelingi it..

However, today I finally had my first stool since Sunday.

Stool_19.jpg

And when I say I had my first stool, I mean that I took a shit.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Looks like mine right after. Three scars. One for the tools, one for the camera, and one for the tube to pump air in and blow everything up to make some room. In case you didn't know it, they stretch your stomach like a balloon when they do that operation by pumping a bunch of air into you.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Want to get rid of it faster? Cocoa butter.

Could also try Mederma. My wife used it after her surgery, and it seemed to work. Not sure if it is any better than just using petroleum jelly or cocoa butter though.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Glad you got it all fixed OP! I was having pains in my right side and in my back for a few years now and turned out it was a kidney issue. I just went in on the 4th to have the surgery and it has been a tough recovery.

They had to make a 6" incision and cut the tube going from my kidney to my bladder to allow a blood vessel to fall below. Basically the blood vessel was causing an obstruction which caused my right kidney to swell.

I had the surgery that Monday and was released on Thursday of the same week. It was a nightmare, I couldn't keep anything down and throwing up with a 6" cut in your side is almost unbearable. Also I had a drainage tube coming out of my side to drain any blood/urine that I would have to empty.

Having that tube removed was the worst pain I have ever experienced.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Years ago I ended up going to the emergency room for horrible abdominal pain. They said it was stomach flu and sent me home. 48 hours later they found me in shock on my kitchen floor. My appendix had burst. I had a nice 6 day hospital stay and still have a sweet 6 inch scar. From my horrible stomach flu....

Apr 20, 2008
Years ago I ended up going to the emergency room for horrible abdominal pain. They said it was stomach flu and sent me home. 48 hours later they found me in shock on my kitchen floor. My appendix had burst. I had a nice 6 day hospital stay and still have a sweet 6 inch scar. From my horrible stomach flu....

I was very worried they were going to send me home. My pain wasn't THAT bad. It just fit some of the symptoms and tests confirmed.

Stenseven

May 18, 2016
Good info here. After reading a few of these accounts I went to the ER and indeed, my appendix was inflamed with bacteria, so it was removed.

I had laparoscopic appendectomy surgery on Monday morning between 9-10am. Previously, on Sunday at 6pm I started experiencing gas-like abdominal pains that can only be described as the worst rotten seafood you have ever eaten combined with the need to broadcast the biggest fart in the universe. By 4am Monday I was on my way to the ER.

Incredibly, I just got home at 3:00pm Tuesday, which is very fast for the complete removal of an appendix (32hrs). I'm feeling OK, kind of like the backache I had 6 weeks ago, but in front. I am on a "clear diet" for the next week or so, which means nothing with anything solid. But rejoice! Jello is permitted AND encouraged.

What a huge surprise it was, and this forum really helped me. Note: I had no fever, nausea, or vomiting. It was an overall super gassy feeling that gradually migrated to the lower right side. VERY painful. After they found my white blood cells were elevated, and observed the CT scan (positive diagnosis), I was given a dose of morphine. Half hour later, another dose. It did no good AT ALL.

After surgery they kept asking if I was in pain. Huh? Compared to my presenting symptoms the post-op pain was nothing. Someday, I shall poop again!

Cowfy

May 6, 2014
Story time!

I had awful stomach pain for about five years. I would get terribly nauseated if I stood still for too long, and my stomach would hurt if even lightly touched. I had imaging done, endoscopy, colonoscopy... no one could diagnose what was wrong with me. The pain caused me to miss work, which stressed me out, which made me feel worse, and put me in a bad spiral. I thought my job was killing me, so I decided to do a system restore and go back to my last known good configuration, college, and get my masters degree.

On a Sunday afternoon in grad school, I woke up from a nap and I had a unique pain below and to the right of my belly button. The pain got worse the next day, and I went to the hospital. They said it was most likely appendicitis. They ended up performing surgery, confirmed it was appendicitis (I saw the photo of it infected), and removed it.

I haven't had any issues with my nausea or stomach pains since, so I'm assuming I had chronic, sub-acute appendicitis for five years. I'm so relieved to have my appendix gone! Good riddance!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Good info here. After reading a few of these accounts I went to the ER and indeed, my appendix was inflamed with bacteria, so it was removed.

I had laparoscopic appendectomy surgery on Monday morning between 9-10am. Previously, on Sunday at 6pm I started experiencing gas-like abdominal pains that can only be described as the worst rotten seafood you have ever eaten combined with the need to broadcast the biggest fart in the universe. By 4am Monday I was on my way to the ER.

Incredibly, I just got home at 3:00pm Tuesday, which is very fast for the complete removal of an appendix (32hrs). I'm feeling OK, kind of like the backache I had 6 weeks ago, but in front. I am on a "clear diet" for the next week or so, which means nothing with anything solid. But rejoice! Jello is permitted AND encouraged.

What a huge surprise it was, and this forum really helped me. Note: I had no fever, nausea, or vomiting. It was an overall super gassy feeling that gradually migrated to the lower right side. VERY painful. After they found my white blood cells were elevated, and observed the CT scan (positive diagnosis), I was given a dose of morphine. Half hour later, another dose. It did no good AT ALL.

After surgery they kept asking if I was in pain. Huh? Compared to my presenting symptoms the post-op pain was nothing. Someday, I shall poop again!

Welcome noob!

I am sorry to say you broke the number 1 rule at Anandtech: Pics or GTFO.

Sakurasunset

Jul 6, 2016
Glad to see you don't ostracize for replying to old posts. I'm a frequent lurker, but found this thread organically (Google is gmo free right?!). The pain with all the laughter from these posts should be the definitive diagnosis. I pray for the day I poop again.

OP, how are your scars now, three years later?

Apr 20, 2008
Glad to see you don't ostracize for replying to old posts. I'm a frequent lurker, but found this thread organically (Google is gmo free right?!). The pain with all the laughter from these posts should be the definitive diagnosis. I pray for the day I poop again.

OP, how are your scars now, three years later?

Howdy lurker!

Scars were completely gone within a year and half. Within 6 months I believe they were barely noticeable. The one on bottom went away immediately.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Holy Necro a Necro!
Love a bunch of posters have one or six posts total.
Are you guys creating sock puppets?

Apr 20, 2008
Hey it's a helpful post that people found the hard way. AT needs to pay me royalties on click revenue at this point.

krystlerose

Mar 14, 2019
So it's years later..found looking for appendicitis forum. Went to surgeon today with right sided pain located in waist area for 5 days. She felt area after talking with her and said probably appendicitis and possibly rupture since its been 5 days. She gave me prescription for ct scan. My insurance has to pre-authorize it which can take days. The doctor said it is ruptured and nothing can be done except maybe antibiotics. What is very wrong with this picture? I am 60 years old. You'd think she would have said go to hospital now. At home not knowing what to do. My copay at ER is 700.00. I was just there 2 weeks ago for blood pressure that doctor told me to go. I was fine then. Worried I could be fine now..Just have a lot of pain when I move.