(NECRO) Anyone ever have appendicitis? [UPDATE PIC] Appendix out!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Why the hell do they need to do a ct scan to diagnose appendicitis?

Good luck op. It shouldn't be too bad a surgery.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I had mine taken out three years ago, 3 days total in the hospital 2 days more resting at home, was back to normal after that. The surgery was a cake walk, no real pain, just mild discomfort for a week or two.

Apr 20, 2008
Surgery went perfect. Just resting in my hospital room with the Purdue wife.

That's for the genuine concern. The scariest part was going under and then waking up after it was done without being able to breathe. It was short lived however. Feeling sore at the 3 incision marks, but otherwise ok.

Thank god I have Tricare insurance.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I had this shooting pain in my side and lower stomach. Hurt for a few days and would stop. It would come back every few days. I thought it was just gas. After a month or two it got really bad and I fell down from the pain. My girlfriend at the time (now wife) took me to the hospital.

Turns out it ruptured and I was rushed into surgery. I had 3 days recovery in hospital and 2 days out of hospital. The worst part was I was young and uninsured at the time. Luckily my state had some government assistance to help me pay off my fees and get some fees dropped.

The funny part? I still get the same pain from time to time. Also, I apparently woke up screaming something about aliens and trying to attack my nurses.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
it all presents differently. I never knew anything was going on with mine till it ruptured. Even then it took me a couple days to go to the hospital. good times.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Good to hear, pop some oxycodone and relax. I couldn't straighten my back (walked bent over) for about 4 days

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Well, while an acute appendicitis can very well be a clinical diagnosis, clinical scoring systems are not always the most sensitive/specific (I think a high Alvardao has a s/s of 80/80ish). From what I recall there's no data supporting CT over ELAP from a good surgeon for superior diagnostics .. but quite a few people would prefer a CT to an ELAP. Basically, it's just another tool in the box for cases that may be borderline. That would be why "in the hell" they would do a CT.

Glad to hear everything went well for the OP.

Apr 20, 2008
As I walk down the halls in my gown at the hospital all I can do is look at all the other patients I could beat up. That's when you know you're getting out soon ;)

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Well, have you?

I'm debating on going to the ER. My stomach began to hurt last night (9PM) around my navel, and by 1 am my lower-right side has been hurting really fucking bad. I didn't notice it to be so bad until I coughed. That pain was terrible. My lower back hurts a lot as well.

I'm moderately ok if I'm laying on my left side, but touching my lower right abdomen hurts, walking hurts, I'm somewhat gassy. My head feels very hot, yet my body the chills, but I don't have a thermometer to really check.

Does it look like I'm going to the ER in a few hours?

Although it was confirmed on your appendix... if you feel tht again ask yoruself this question :

What and how much did you eat prior to that feeling? Sounds like what pain I felt with my gullbladder "attacks".

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Surgery went perfect. Just resting in my hospital room with the Purdue wife.

That's for the genuine concern. The scariest part was going under and then waking up after it was done without being able to breathe. It was short lived however. Feeling sore at the 3 incision marks, but otherwise ok.

Thank god I have Tricare insurance.

great to hear.

When i had mine done the damn appendic was not where they expected. i have a 4 inch curving scar. They ended up having to move stomach muscle to find it.

I hurt like hell for 2-3 days. took 2 to be able to get out of bed.

every now and then the muscles in the stomach where the scar is will "bind up" and hurt like hell for a few minutes.

Apr 20, 2008
Although it was confirmed on your appendix... if you feel tht again ask yoruself this question :

What and how much did you eat prior to that feeling? Sounds like what pain I felt with my gullbladder "attacks".

Just a regular meal. Nothing out of the ordinary. Pain started 5pm two days ago at work as I had tightness of my navel. It progressively got worse.

My surgeons were nice as possible, and really inspired trust. Waiting to go under was the scariest part. I've never been gassed.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

Good luck op. It shouldn't be too bad a surgery.

Surgeons won't sign off on cutting you open without a confirming diagnostic more often than not. Think medical malpractice, and you'll understand why.

Congratz op, welcome to the scar club. My doc said I couldn't go back to work for a week (desk job no less). I was going nuts after two days. I didn't last a week.

Last edited:

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

To reduce the chances of unnecessary surgery.

Back in the day it wasn't exactly uncommon to operate on people who didn't have appendicitis. Most of the time it's pretty straightforward to diagnose with a physical exam but the false positive rate wasn't insignificant. A CT scan is much cheaper than an unnecessary operation.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I had a really bad pain in my stomach area when I was maybe 12 years old or so. We (with my mom and grandma) were in a town shopping about an hour from my hometown. My mom asked me to try going to the bathroom but I couldn't/didn't have to. Ended up driving back to my hometown with me laying down in the back of the car. We were probably 10 minutes or so away from home and the pain just disappeared and I sat up, and was like "Um I feel fine now". After reading this thread, it must've been gas pains? I've always wondered about it.

Apr 20, 2008
I didn't take any OxyContin for about 4 hours, and OMFG, my stomach and and neck hurt so god damn bad. My cuts on my stomach are all bruised. It feels like Tyson and Holyfield took turns punching my stomach where they cut me open.

Looks like I'm pooping a couple more before I crash tonight!

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
I had appendicitis in the army, came during the evening but I toughed it out through the night, went to the infirmery the next morning and got sent to the hospital by a very upset doctor (she basically scolded me for not calling the army emergency medical hotline). But when i got to the hospital it had gone into remission... it managed to score me almost a week off duty without having to do surgery. Best disease ever!

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I had this shooting pain in my side and lower stomach. Hurt for a few days and would stop. It would come back every few days. I thought it was just gas. After a month or two it got really bad and I fell down from the pain. My girlfriend at the time (now wife) took me to the hospital.

Turns out it ruptured and I was rushed into surgery. I had 3 days recovery in hospital and 2 days out of hospital. The worst part was I was young and uninsured at the time. Luckily my state had some government assistance to help me pay off my fees and get some fees dropped.

The funny part? I still get the same pain from time to time. Also, I apparently woke up screaming something about aliens and trying to attack my nurses.

Hmm, that kind of describes my pain I get every one in a while. I'll have pretty bad pain in my stomach area and right side for a couple days, but it'll go away. Then it comes back a couple months later. I thought of the appendix when it first happened but then it went away. Could also be gas pains like others said, or I've also considered kidney stones. Though I've never had anything happen later to confirm kidney stones.

Apr 20, 2008
run before the manufacturers get you and clone you!

At $5 a bottle for Oxy, I don't mind for what amazing relief it brings.

... Just awoken by stomach and throat pain. Where they had my oxygen tub I pretty scratched up too. Still haven't had a stool yet!

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Glad the surgery was a success. I think that medicine can cause constipation? Not sure, but It wouldn't hurt to make sure you're plenty hydrated regardless. Feel better soon.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I didn't take any OxyContin for about 4 hours, and OMFG, my stomach and and neck hurt so god damn bad. My cuts on my stomach are all bruised. It feels like Tyson and Holyfield took turns punching my stomach where they cut me open.

Looks like I'm pooping a couple more before I crash tonight!

Wuss.

I never even filled my script. I don't even think I took any ibuprofen. At worst I felt like I did a thousand situps for a couple days, and yes the incision areas were sore. No pain no gain.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Just a regular meal. Nothing out of the ordinary. Pain started 5pm two days ago at work as I had tightness of my navel. It progressively got worse.

My surgeons were nice as possible, and really inspired trust. Waiting to go under was the scariest part. I've never been gassed.

when i had my gullbladder removed going under was funny.

Surgeon puts the mask on and says "Okay... I want to you count down from 100... by 7.2." o_O

I didn't use any of the painkiller medicine they gave me. Made me too nausous, and I can handle pain much better than I can handle naseua.

Apr 20, 2008
My surgeon just put the mask on and told me I was going out, and I did immediately.

It probably hurt because I did a lot of walking around yesterday. A couple miles total. I just took the stool softener and hope I can pass a bowel movement.

Last edited: