NBC's 'To Catch a Predator' is sued for $105 mil. over man who killed himself as police arrived

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
What's crazy is they go after guys that solicit fake 14 year olds, when real pedophiles that are after preteens probably sneak through the system.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Tobolo
I think we are missing a key point. These people are conducting a criminal investigation. Every single case that they pursue should be thrown out, or if they are convicted, they have an immediate grounds for appeal based upon who conducted the investigation. I can talk to anyone of you and then edit the logs, go to the police, and have you arrested because I can make it say ANYTHING! There is a reason that law enforcement personnel conduct these investigations.

Do I feel that pedophilia is wrong? Your damn right. But what these people are doing is also wrong. You are innocent until proven guilty by an impartial jury. Not innocent until Dateline says your guilty. Not innocent until ATOT says your guilty. By not showing up at the "sting" house he did not commit anything more than a thought crime, which in the instance is subject to mental examination, not jail time. He killed himself directly because of the entrapment of Dateline. If they had not done so then he will still be alive. It is one thing to do research on a news article, its another when you create the news.

The police should be the police. Period. I hope the sister gets every penny she is suing for.

100% agree. We're so prone to stringing people up by the balls when you throw a buzz word out there like "molester" or "rape" that it blinds people to not let them be proven guilty. Even when they are found innocent they are already branded for life because of it, just like in the Duke LAX team case.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
I think we are missing a key point. These people are conducting a criminal investigation. Every single case that they pursue should be thrown out, or if they are convicted, they have an immediate grounds for appeal based upon who conducted the investigation. I can talk to anyone of you and then edit the logs, go to the police, and have you arrested because I can make it say ANYTHING! There is a reason that law enforcement personnel conduct these investigations.

Do I feel that pedophilia is wrong? Your damn right. But what these people are doing is also wrong. You are innocent until proven guilty by an impartial jury. Not innocent until NBC says your guilty. Not innocent until ATOT says your guilty. By not showing up at the "sting" house he did not commit anything more than a thought crime, which in the instance is subject to mental examination, not jail time. He killed himself directly because of the entrapment of NBC. If they had not done so then he will still be alive. It is one thing to do research on a news article, its another when you create the news.

The police should be the police. Period. I hope the sister gets every penny she is suing for.

:Disgust;bullshit. total bullshit. he killed himself out of free will. He was trolling chat rooms looking for kids. If he wasn't guilty he would have sued dateline for defamation of character and he would have won. The police are part of the sting the whole time. He was scumbag plain and simple and im glad he's dead. I wish more cases ended like this.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Injury

Do I feel that pedophilia is wrong? Your damn right. But what these people are doing is also wrong. You are innocent until proven guilty by an impartial jury. Not innocent until Dateline says your guilty. Not innocent until ATOT says your guilty. By not showing up at the "sting" house he did not commit anything more than a thought crime, which in the instance is subject to mental examination, not jail time. He killed himself directly because of the entrapment of Dateline. If they had not done so then he will still be alive. It is one thing to do research on a news article, its another when you create the news.

100% agree. We're so prone to stringing people up by the balls when you throw a buzz word out there like "molester" or "rape" that it blinds people to not let them be proven guilty. Even when they are found innocent they are already branded for life because of it, just like in the Duke LAX team case.

no comparison to the duke case here. He was soliciting sex from a minor. FACT.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

Never said he wasn't. My point was that it's not fair for him to be humiliated in front of an audience of millions of viewers. He needed help. Not humiliation. And sending out the lynch mob is the typical American response that happens way too fast. He clearly had some sense of decency in him to not actually go... he could have been helped and humiliation wasn't necessary.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

Never said he wasn't. My point was that it's not fair for him to be humiliated in front of an audience of millions of viewers. He needed help. Not humiliation. And sending out the lynch mob is the typical American response that happens way too fast. He clearly had some sense of decency in him to not actually go... he could have been helped and humiliation wasn't necessary.

LOL!!!! HUMILIATION OH NOOOOOESSSSSS BOOO HOOOO!!!! I'm a molestor don't humiliate me whammmmmbulance. He deserved must worse than public humiliation. Maybe a public stoning should have been in order. I am glad he shot himself though saved the courts and tax payers money.

I don't know where you've been but we don't rehabilitate in this country.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999

FACT. He talked with an ADULT.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Josh
Originally posted by: jandrews
Originally posted by: Josh
I, for one, think the Predator series is great and IT IS putting child molestors/predators behind bars. Come on guys, I don't give a fvck what NBC is saying - we all have seen the show and we know damn well if Chris Hansen & those cameras weren't there those fvcking scumbags would be trying to have sex with that underage child. And, that's good enough for me to see them do some time in prison.

didnt you read the article? They arrest them but none of them have been prosecuted, I cant even imagine being in the court where someone tried to prosecute a case by these means, dateline nbc coerced police to assist them while luring predators...i mean give me a break, if it was a police operation fine but it is dateline nbc.

No, it is actually a child predator team, Dateline just films the crap and talks to the predator and gets him to admit or not admit to everything. the police are watching the whole operation. i mean its possible that a great lawyer will be able to get the predator off the hook but i'm sorry - most judges/juries will look at those tapes and be more than convienced that the subject in question was trying to solicit sex from a minor.

actually they have been proven (at least in one place) that the police where not there for everything. one DA dropped a bunch of cases because they could not prove the chain of evidance. way to many gaps

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
What if you went on a chat room, and started talking to a 13 year old and said that you're 13 as well. If the 13 year old you're talking to is from perverted justice, couldn't you technically get the Perverted Justice entrament person in trouble? It's just 2 adults talking sex pretending to be 13.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
LOL!!!! HUMILIATION OH NOOOOOESSSSSS BOOO HOOOO!!!! I'm a molestor don't humiliate me whammmmmbulance. He deserved must worse than public humiliation. Maybe a public stoning should have been in order. I am glad he shot himself though saved the courts and tax payers money.

Oh jesus christ, grow the fuck up.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004

I'm sorry that you think you're better than everyone and that you've never f'ed up in your life. Must be great to be so perfect that you don't ever feel guilty about something or need help.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: crystal

FACT. He talked with an ADULT.

Yes that is irrelevant. Same instance when you solicit a prostitute who is a cop. FACT THEY TALKED TO A COP. FACT THEY SOLICITED SEX FROM A PROSTITUTE.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: spacejamz
Originally posted by: TallBill
Sorry, but the man who killed himself is only guilty of thought crime. He never really did anything wrong. He chatted with an adult, and didn't act on any urges.

so you honestly think that he would not act on his urges if he had the chance??? Hell, he was probably getting all excited thinking he was gonna get some...fvckin makes my stomach turn just thinkin about it...

I for one am glad his sick perverted ass is no longer able to molest any kids in the future...

those dateline people didn't go looking for him...they had an adult pose as a kid and he walked right in...he was the one who chose to commit suicide over his shame...

Exacty... the show always brings up the fact that the person coming for sex knew the "age" of the bait. For all intents and purposes the guy was on his way to have sex with an underage person. Had it been an actual 14 year old or whatever we all know he would have acted on his "thoughts". Good riddance.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004

Do I feel that pedophilia is wrong? Your damn right. But what these people are doing is also wrong. You are innocent until proven guilty by an impartial jury. Not innocent until NBC says your guilty. Not innocent until ATOT says your guilty. By not showing up at the "sting" house he did not commit anything more than a thought crime, which in the instance is subject to mental examination, not jail time. He killed himself directly because of the entrapment of NBC. If they had not done so then he will still be alive. It is one thing to do research on a news article, its another when you create the news.

:thumbsup:

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

I'm sorry that you think you're better than everyone and that you've never f'ed up in your life. Must be great to be so perfect that you don't ever feel guilty about something or need help.

I have fvcked up....I didn't cop out and shoot myself or blame others. I took responsibility. You should try it sometime.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005

I believe that in every state that NBC does their show in, the mere act of soliciting sex from a minor is a crime. That's what they are getting these guys on. It's not some thought crime plot pulled out of a Tom Cruise movie. They are breaking the law just by talking to minors about having sex with them and discussing meeting in person to do it.

And to those who are saying they aren't really talking to minors but adults in disguise, that's irrelevant. Cops pose as prostitutes and drug dealers all the time and bust people that solicit those services. The same concept applies to this situation.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Quasmo
What if you went on a chat room, and started talking to a 13 year old and said that you're 13 as well. If the 13 year old you're talking to is from perverted justice, couldn't you technically get the Perverted Justice entrament person in trouble? It's just 2 adults talking sex pretending to be 13.

The PJ person would stop talking to you the second you said your age. And yes you could possibly get them in trouble, assuming you got them to talk about sex first/send you pics and ask to meet you. In these scenarios, the people they interface with are the ones that bring all these subjects up.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: crownjules
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
Police work and crime /= entertainment.

You've never watched CSI or Law and Order then.

so all those shows are real!? hot damn! here i thought they were made up. so that means they can yell "zoom, zoom, zoom, enhance, enhance, enhance" and they can make gake a image in an eyeball into HD? fuck. amazing.

sure htey are based off real events. BUT then hollywood puts there spin on it and totely changes the story.

but then you have cops. but they are not MAKEING the news like "to catch" does.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
That show, and the knuckle dragger idiots that watch it make me sick. Simple minded fools who think people are guilty until proven otherwise. I hope she takes MSNBC for millions!

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Hey I hate the media too but I think all this hatred has really clouded a few people's judgement here. As already mentioned the show goes after people who are living in a state where soliciting sex from a minor via the internet is a crime. It doesn't matter whether that person goes to the house or not, what matters is that the moment he tries to solicitate sex with the minor he has already commited the crime.

With all this I still can't see how some of you are still siding with the pedophile and the sister.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

I think you are missing the point ...

Dateline is not conducting the investigations. Perverted Justice + the local police are conducting the investigation. Dateline is simple documenting it.

Wow so many people in this thread are commenting about this issue but seem to never have seen an episode of the show.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: jtvang125
Hey I hate the media too but I think all this hatred has really clouded a few people's judgement here. As already mentioned the show goes after people who are living in a state where soliciting sex from a minor via the internet is a crime. It doesn't matter whether that person goes to the house or not, what matters is that the moment he tries to solicitate sex with the minor he has already commited the crime.

With all this I still can't see how some of you are still siding with the pedophile and the sister.

The difference is, before they got their day in court, they are a "suspect". They are still innocence. None of this pedophile or molester labeling crap.
Hell, if someone kills somebody right in front of a cop and got taken into custody. The cop still calls them a suspect. If the cop calls them a murderer before their day in court, what you think will happen...

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: crownjules
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
Police work and crime /= entertainment.

You've never watched CSI or Law and Order then.

so all those shows are real!? hot damn! here i thought they were made up. so that means they can yell "zoom, zoom, zoom, enhance, enhance, enhance" and they can make gake a image in an eyeball into HD? fuck. amazing.

Sarcasm...I was responding to his blunt comment that police work and crime can never equal entertainment. I know what we're discussing is real and those shows are not. I guess that's why I expected everyone to realize I was speaking tongue-in-cheek.