Info NASA / SpaceX Manned Launch SCRUBBED (5/27) NEXT TRY 5/30 @

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
https://www.nasa.gov/specials/dm2/

Demo 2 mission will be launching tomorrow from Cape Canaveral pad 39 with two NASA astronauts. This will be the first manned launch from the US since the shuttle retired in 2011.

A new era of human spaceflight is set to begin as American astronauts once again launch on an American rocket from American soil to the International Space Station as part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program. NASA astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley will fly on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft, lifting off on a Falcon 9 rocket at 4:33 p.m. EDT May 27, from Launch Complex 39A in Florida, for an extended stay at the space station for the Demo-2 mission. The specific duration of the mission is to be determined.

To watch tomorrow both NASA and SpaceX and probably all major outlets should stream the launch.

EDIT:

Next Launch attempt 5/30 @3:22PM EDT

Weather is forecasted to be poor.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
https://www.nasa.gov/specials/dm2/

Demo 2 mission will be launching tomorrow from Cape Canaveral pad 39 with two NASA astronauts. This will be the first manned launch from the US since the shuttle retired in 2011.

A new era of human spaceflight is set to begin as American astronauts once again launch on an American rocket from American soil to the International Space Station as part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program. NASA astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley will fly on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft, lifting off on a Falcon 9 rocket at 4:33 p.m. EDT May 27, from Launch Complex 39A in Florida, for an extended stay at the space station for the Demo-2 mission. The specific duration of the mission is to be determined.

To watch tomorrow both NASA and SpaceX and probably all major outlets should stream the launch.
Will make sure to tune in!

I saw a night launch from the Cape in 97, I honestly can't remember if it was STS-84 or STS-86 (I think the latter but my memory of the time of year is hazy), but man, that was cool.

Nov 8, 2012
Crew is heading up the tower into the capsule.

Weather looks iffy.

Last I heard wifey told me that weather chances were 60% go. So... about a coin flip

EDIT: Apparently it was 60%, now down to 50%... so... exactly a coin flip heh.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Last I heard wifey told me that weather chances were 60% go. So... about a coin flip

EDIT: Apparently it was 60%, now down to 50%... so... exactly a coin flip heh.
Yup. The weather at some of the abort sites aren’t great and Florida weather is Florida weather.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Can't find a livestream on major media sites. Lame. Watching it livestream on space.com now.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I’m 20 minutes away from cape canaveral .. drove down a couple days ago for a little road trip vacation. I can see some serious dark clouds rolling in. We’re headed to the beach to watch in an hour anyway assuming it isn’t called before then.

edit: now torrential downpour and lightning. Maybe not going anywhere after all

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
They're talking about having Tom Cruise go up to the space station to shoot a movie there? LOL

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I already have it up through space.com. I just think the media doesn't give enough attention to space milestones.
Heck, the Discovery Channel is covering it live (not direct live steaming) for the most part. No cable?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I’m 20 minutes away from cape canaveral .. drove down a couple days ago for a little road trip vacation. I can see some serious dark clouds rolling in. We’re headed to the beach to watch in an hour anyway assuming it isn’t called before then.

edit: now torrential downpour and lightning. Maybe not going anywhere after all

that's hourly weather in FL, though.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
that's hourly weather in FL, though.
Lived in 2 places about 4 miles apart when I live in Broward County. One place there would be a 4 O'clock shower, and the other it was about 4:20 pm daily in the rainy season. Yea, that's when I learned about vertical weather systems.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Heck, the Discovery Channel is covering it live (not direct live steaming) for the most part. No cable?

LOL this is getting funny. None of you guys noticed that I said straight off I already have a live feed through space.com? I'm not having trouble finding it. I am pointing out that when the most watched mainstream outlets aren't carrying the feed, it devalues the enterprise in the public eye and means far fewer people will watch it.

Maybe they're just skipping all the pre-launch commentary and will carry the actual launch live. I certainly hope so.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
LOL this is getting funny. None of you guys noticed that I said straight off I already have a live feed through space.com? I'm not having trouble finding it. I am pointing out that when the most watched mainstream outlets aren't carrying the feed, it devalues the enterprise in the public eye and means far fewer people will watch it.

Maybe they're just skipping all the pre-launch commentary and will carry the actual launch live. I certainly hope so.
You mean the broadcast networks? What an anachronism.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You mean the broadcast networks? What an anachronism.

No, I mean their websites, like cnn.com, which has a splash page about the event, but no live feed, and even the splash page link which last I looked was way down at the bottom, buried beneath 30 stories about conoranvirus and Trump acting like a dick. We can get stories about coronavirus and Trump acting like a dick all day every other day. It doesn't strike me as a bad idea that people take a break to observe an important milestone which also doesn't happen to be such a divisive issue.

Edit: a minute ago, CNN finally brought the written coverage to the top. Yay!