NASA Mars Landing...US still on bleeding edge in technology

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
What an idiotic thing to say. Do you have supporting evidence the Bible is full of fairy tales?

I do. The Bible is my evidence, which contains volumes of impossible and nonsensical tales.

On the actual thread topic, the next thing I want to see them do is recover a vehicle from Mars. A round trip is what we need to start to paved the way for more manned exploration of the solar system.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Like the bible is full of less fairytales, you are an idiot.

So you believe the story of Mo ham id flying to the Jewish capital on a winged horse named Barack?

Good for you. I'm sure your family is so very proud of you.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
I do. The Bible is my evidence, which contains volumes of impossible and nonsensical tales.

On the actual thread topic, the next thing I want to see them do is recover a vehicle from Mars. A round trip is what we need to start to paved the way for more manned exploration of the solar system.

That would be nice.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

Ah the "here is google, that is my proof" line of thinking. I understand you better now.

Exactly. Right now we cannot do a round trip.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

NASA has been talking about a Mars sample return mission for a long time. Cost has always killed that idea.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What makes sense is a one way trip to Mars. Packages can be sent there to create a permanent settlement in modules. The team assembles everything and that includes production facilities for fuel, water, air, food etc, At that point another ship can be sent without need of return fuel or supplies. Once landed the team can restock that vessel and return. Wash, repeat.

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
Ah the "here is google, that is my proof" line of thinking. I understand you better now.
When the point you are requesting evidence for is completely and totally off topic, yes, that is all the more involved I am going to get. If you want to discuss whether the Bible and its claims of a flood that requires more than three times the amount of water on Earth to work, or a planet's rotation stopping suddenly, or a zombie army descending on Jerusalem are historically accurate, by all means, find a news article related to it and start a new thread or just post one in off topic. Either way, a thread about the Mars rover is not the place to discuss comparative religion.

What makes sense is a one way trip to Mars. Packages can be sent there to create a permanent settlement in modules. The team assembles everything and that includes production facilities for fuel, water, air, food etc, At that point another ship can be sent without need of return fuel or supplies. Once landed the team can restock that vessel and return. Wash, repeat.

Maybe, but I have to think setting up a permanent Mars base is going to be as resource intensive as a single round trip mission and then some. I think a lot of it depends on what you are trying to accomplish because ideally, I would like to see both the engineering challenges for a long spaceflight overcome as well as the challenges for extended habitation on other planets. Both will be necessary for humanity to branch out into the broader solar system.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
When the point you are requesting evidence for is completely and totally off topic, yes, that is all the more involved I am going to get. If you want to discuss whether the Bible and its claims of a flood that requires more than three times the amount of water on Earth to work, or a planet's rotation stopping suddenly, or a zombie army descending on Jerusalem are historically accurate, by all means, find a news article related to it and start a new thread or just post one in off topic. Either way, a thread about the Mars rover is not the place to discuss comparative religion.

Why mention it if you are going to run from it when challenged? You post something ludicrious and then act shocked when called on it and say people should not challenge you on it.

Just keep that in mind for next time you do not want to be challenged for something you are about to post.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

I saw a show on TV about that. Was quite interesting.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

The problem I see with this is that politics may eventually decide that the cost of restocking the settlement is too high. Without a way to bring them back, the explorers would be essentially given a death sentence.
It's not like they could hunt and forage for their own food on Mars. (as far as we know at this time anyway...)

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
Why mention it if you are going to run from it when challenged? You post something ludicrious and then act shocked when called on it and say people should not challenge you on it.

Just keep that in mind for next time you do not want to be challenged for something you are about to post.

If you want to challenge me on it, use an appropriate venue. I'll gladly address any claims you would care to make in the appropriate place at the appropriate time. I will not discuss this with you any further here and will assume any additional attempts to continue derailing the thread with this line to be an attempt on your part to get in the last word and claim victory without having to back up your claims. Either take it to a new thread or drop it, your choice.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
If you want to challenge me on it, use an appropriate venue. I'll gladly address any claims you would care to make in the appropriate place at the appropriate time. I will not discuss this with you any further here and will assume any additional attempts to continue derailing the thread with this line to be an attempt on your part to get in the last word and claim victory without having to back up your claims. Either take it to a new thread or drop it, your choice.

You derailed it with your comment. Do you yet realize you should not have done so?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The problem I see with this is that politics may eventually decide that the cost of restocking the settlement is too high. Without a way to bring them back, the explorers would be essentially given a death sentence.
It's not like they could hunt and forage for their own food on Mars. (as far as we know at this time anyway...)

If this was a US colony, I wonder if our government would ever have the chutzpah to do that.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
sage, you are posting over a thousand posts a month and most of them are inflammatory and ignorant. Go outside, find some semblance of a life. Come back when you grow up. Do us all that small favor.

omfg