Nancy Pelosi is such a POS

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Hmm, I seem to remember an OP-ED piece a day or so ago making this exact same complaint about the Dems' crazy "strategy". It doesn't get any more intelligent when you parrot it back to us like it was your own original thought (you might want to try that sometime, by the way). So far as I can tell, there isn't the slightest bit of evidence that the Democrats are doing it as a backdoor way to get out of Iraq. Not that that stops the echo chamber crowd...

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
Originally posted by: chucky2

It in no way helps your case. The people who were killed are all dead. The kids of the people who were killed are all dead.

I fail to see your point here. This applies to Holocaust victims too.

The point is: To those it really matters to - the people killed and their children - our actions mean absolutely nothing. Why? Because they're all dead!

This is simply a symbolic gesture that easily could have waited until Iraq calmed down and/or we weren't so dependant on Turkey.

Which will end when, 10 years from now? Are you starting to get it?

Yes, I understand it keeps getting put off. I don't disagree that that sux. See below...

At 92 years, it's so long overdue as to be almost useless in its issuance. There is absolutely no difference in 92 years, 94 years, 96 years, or 98 years...it's all a stupidly long time to acknowledge something of such magnitude. To do it now though is a tatical mistake that will buy us nothing with Turkey who right now is helping us and showing some restraint with the Kurds.

Why, with everything we have going on in the ME now, would we pass a symbolic gesture for something that happened 92 years ago???

Absolutley F'ing dumb...just ineptly dumb....

Chuck

It has already been delayed for 4.5 years due to Iraq, and years before that due to strategic US air base locations in Turkey. Your contention that it happened "a long time ago" doesn't help your case; it helps mine. It delineates how long overdue the recognition of this horrible tradegy is. To minimize its impact is, really, to either be morally inept or simply willfully ignorant.

Ok, so now that we've recognized it, what great and fantastical things now happen?

The rest of the world goes, Wow! That USA, it took her a while, but wow, we love her so much now that they've recognized what the Armenians went through just a short 92 years ago... OK, not going to happen.

The millions of Armenians that were killed, and all their kids (who are also dead) who suffered without parents, are overjoyed and they give us the 5th Dragonball to defeat radical Islam? Ok, not going to happen.

We PO a regional ally in the WoT, add to the things we need to deal with, expend political capital with little gain (because when it comes down to it: Almost no one really cares what happened 92 years ago), Congress wastes time on this rather than solving the multitude of huge current issues on their plate, and Pelosi can get a soundbite for actually accomplishing - to hugely debatable degree - something during her brief reign. I think I'll take this last one...

Chuck

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Hmm, I seem to remember an OP-ED piece a day or so ago making this exact same complaint about the Dems' crazy "strategy". It doesn't get any more intelligent when you parrot it back to us like it was your own original thought (you might want to try that sometime, by the way). So far as I can tell, there isn't the slightest bit of evidence that the Democrats are doing it as a backdoor way to get out of Iraq. Not that that stops the echo chamber crowd...

Since I did not happen to see the Op-ed piece you refer to, there goes your parrot it back hypothesis.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Originally posted by: ayabe
There have been several threads on this already.

We are the leader of the free world, we have recognized every other genocide. We are morally obligated to do the same in this instance. We cannot pick and choose when we want to stand for justice and this is a necessary step in regaining our moral standing in the world.

Bush promised to do this before being elected in 2000 as well.
This is hardly the most pressing issue facing congress at this point. They have been in control for almost an entire year and done absolutely nothing of substance. Rather than trying to cobble together a budget for 2008, which they failed to ever do for 2007, they are cutting off their own nose to spite their face.

And what is pressing? Investigating Larry Craig? Condemning MoveOn? Commending Rush?

The bottom line is that failing to stand up for what is right because it's "the wrong time" or might "offend people" is why we are hated in the ME and elsewhere. We continue to support despotic regimes because it's the easy thing to do. We turn a blind eye to Darfur and human rights abuses because we don't want to offend China.

We are either for human rights or against them.

If Turkey wants to play hardball then we should withdraw our support for them entering the EU. It is Turkey's relationship with the US that is one of their arguments for entry, well that can go away.

A little thing called the budget maybe?

There hasnt been a single appropriations bill, other than SCHIP reauthorization, that has passed the house and senate.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
First, Chuck, fix your quotes.

Originally posted by: Craig234

I notice how Chucky 'defends' torture by saying it's not just for fun, but to get info. Oh, that's ok then! It's that CIA torture just for fun we need to ban.

First, I never said torture is "just for fun". Ever. Either go back and re-read what I said or stop putting words in my mouth.

Your whole last sentence here is you making an inference to something I never said. Nice job at distortion, unfortunately it didn't work.

You are confused and don't realize what you are saying. This is typical of the confusion of righties who think they are the moral ones as they are the evildoers.

You defended the use of torture by saying it works and that we therefore get information.

Now, let me help you at what you did not say but implied, and don't realize you implied; what's the alternative to what you said? That we torture, but it doesn't work, we get no information; in other words, that there is no reason at all to do it; in other words, it's 'just for fun', as another way of saying for no reason. So my statement was accurate, that your defense is that rather than our torturing being for no reason, it's 'justified' because 'it works' to get information.

That's the generous answer; the post from you could be interpreted as lacking the basic reading skills to notice I summarized your position as "saying [torture is] not just for fun", to which you devastatingly disproved my post by responding, "I never said torture is just for fun". Oh, wait, that's exactly the same thing I said.

The assumption throughout your post is that torture is peachy keen if you are doing it because you want information.

Others of us differ with you on the morality of that view.

And oh, by the way, since I object on moral grounds, I did not bother to point out that experts broadly say torture does NOT work, for the most part.

It's interesting how similar the rationalizers of violence on 'our side' and on 'their side' can be. You would fit in well with the terrorists as one who argues with anyone raising doubts about their use of violence. You could be the enforcer who explains that the only thing the US understand is violence, and how if not for the terrorism, the US would be far more intrusive in the Middle East.

The difference is we torture as a last measure on high value targets only (unless a mistake is made or we have people going rogue), whereas the terrorists just kill whoever they want, when they want, however they want. I love how you lump us in with them, thereby inferring we're equal when in fact, we are lightyears ahead of the other side in humane treatment of prisoners.

My comparison was in the way you think about things and view the issues in terms of demonizing your enemy, of rationalizing violence, not the specific actions.

Show me the man who intends to rob and kill a man but is prevented, the man who robs and kills a man, and the man who robs and kills 100 men, and I'll show you three men who are pretty similarly problematic in their thinking, whatever their actions. And you don't really want to get into actions anyway; for example, the US killed millions of Vietnamese for no good reason, often with methods far more horrific than beheading, e.g., Agent Orange; Middle Easterners today have done nothing of the sort. Closer to home, the US chose economic sanction policies which killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians, mostly women and children; this outdoes the acts you refer to. But as an apologist - you are projecting in using the word - you don't see the US wrongs. How convenient for the math.

Regardless, you also neglect to look at the context of WHY each side is doing what it's doing; how were the middle easterners provoked? Who interfered in whose region first? Who installed dictators over nations? Who is in whose territory now? How many Middle Easterners have Americans killed compared to how many Americans Middle Easterners have killed? Are they taking our natural resources, or are we taking theirs?

So, again, my point was that you are guilty of the same views that serve the terrorists well when people on their side question the violence - the rationalization of violence.

It's not about the specific acts that result, but again, you don't have a point there anyway.

Yes, at the core there are some bad forces there, who are a threat; and there are murderers and rapists and other bad forces in our own cities, for that matter. But you make the problem a lot worse, and commit a lot of unnecessary wrongs yourself because of your wrong views. We should be able to deal with the legitimate threat a lot better than you would have.

That the US sucks up violence, insults, and ill will to our civilian population, and it takes events like Libya's shot down airliner and 9/11 to actually provoke a more than words response from us is telling. Again though, you infer we're the same as the other side because we're finally driven to do so.

The US isn't 'finally driven' to do much of anything, going back to the days of our sending Commodore Perry into Tokyo Harbor to tell the Japanese who just wanted to be left alone, open up or we'll kill you; since we started a war with Mexico and took half their land; since we committed genocide on Native Americans to take their land for our own use; since the Monroe Doctrine, and so on. No, we rarely are 'driven' to do much (an exception being Hitler).

You know who is driven to do something? One example is Iran, who actually did have their government put in place as a dictatorship for decades (by us), immediately followed by their being invaded (by our encouraging and eventually assisting Saddam) in a war with a milllion casualties, as Iranian schools were attack by gas weapons. And yet, *we're* blameless with Iran, only they are in the 'Axis of Evil' and a threat to us. Yes, their government has serious problems, but your ideology is, for lack of a better word, insane.

What an apologist you are Craig...if you're white do you also feel responsibility to apologize to blacks because of slavery? I think the answer will be Yes from you... :Disgust;

Your projecting aside, I do not feel responsibility to apologize to blacks for slavery. I do feel responsibility, as a human being, to recognize the history of wrongdoing; and that includes the wrongs that still exist today that are effects from the century of racism following slavery and the slavery for 200+ years before that, and to be interested in justice for the wrongs blacks experience today as a result of those historic wrongs.

When one group is denied money and education for decades and centuries, they are not any more ready for a 'color blind' race than a trained runner who has spent years preparing against someone who has been prevented from running for years before and is suddenly put on the track. I recognize that I benefit from my (white) race having had advantages from the immoral policies of racism in the past.

And I see the need to oppose that sort of injustice in the future, as I think everyone here does.

It's interesting that you show no concern about the wrongs but as a way to attack someone for showing such concern.

You need to develop your moral understanding of war, IMO. I can suggest some reading for you, for example a book by a war reporter from many wars who you would probably also claim doesn't understand war like you do, but won't waste the typing. You can pleasantly surprise me by asking for the title - I'd buy you a copy if you wanted.

Nice elitist approach there....unless you're the reporter in question, or the reporter covered the ME, I don't care much what his/her views are. Ground war against a clear direct uniformed enemy that only occurs in other countries is a far cry different from combatants dressed and indistinguishable as civilians except for the acts they were caught committing. That some of these same high value combatants have a high degree of likelihood to possess information that will lead to the prevention of civilians being harmed just makes your argument even less realistic and more myopic...

Chuck[/quote]

Reading a book fits your definition of elitist, hm? I see.

War and human nature are broader than one specific region; your disinterest in any such inf o not specific to the Middle East is your problem, not mine.

You are so blindly following the road of war where you fail to have any grasp of the issues and demonize your enemy and care only about the 'effective methods' for committing violence that it's tragic, but not uncommon. There are many expressions for your immoral and amoral views, such as 'might makes right', but they are wasted on you, as lectures on the dangers of alcohol are on an alcoholic.

Whether it's you and the 'terrorists', or the US and Vietnam, or Russia and Chechnya, or Indonesia and East Timor, or the Taliban and the 'infidels', or countless other similar situations, it's largely the same fallacies leading to the rationalization of violence, where you justify the wrongs you do. I don't think we're going to communicate much on this, you are to ideologically drunk, IMO. It's like trying to convince the Germans of their errors in 1942, they were not ready to hear it. One day, you may see it differently.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
Yes, she is such a POS for calling a genocide a "genocide."
She is a POS because her "leadership" in Congress thus far has been to take the easy road.

While the world recognizes the Turkish Armenian genocide as an atrocity, at this point, recognizing it as such does little to reverse the past. Similarly, Turkey has proven a valuable ally in recent decades, dating back to the Cold War. Given recent developments of Turkish military forces engaging Kurdish fighters along the border they share with Iraq, prioritizing the Armenian issue will only strain our diplomatic efforts on that front.

Yet America, and the world, remain silent on genocide occurring TODAY.

and what other road option does she have with Republicans still in control of the vote count?

:cookie:

The GOP does NOT control the vote count in the House. Pelosi could do whatever she wants in the House. The House is majority rules and they can do whatever they want. Getting it past the Senate on the other hand would be a problem.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Well thanks for backing up what I say all the time how Corporations own the Government especially the Bigoil "Lobby".

Funny you should mention that, Dave. Big Business Abandons GOP For Democrats

All 10 of the top-giving industries tracked by the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan money and politics watchdog group, are now donating more cash to Democrats than Republicans. A year ago, Republicans had the edge in six of the 10 sectors.

Looks like your heroes are knee deep in corporate shill funds, Dave.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Pabster
Well thanks for backing up what I say all the time how Corporations own the Government especially the Bigoil "Lobby".

Funny you should mention that, Dave. Big Business Abandons GOP For Democrats

All 10 of the top-giving industries tracked by the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan money and politics watchdog group, are now donating more cash to Democrats than Republicans. A year ago, Republicans had the edge in six of the 10 sectors.

Looks like your heroes are knee deep in corporate shill funds, Dave.

Lobbyist always support the party that has a majority.

Lobbyists dont care about political ideology, they care about getting their own agenda passed.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: ZebuluniteV
I think it's pretty ironic that many of the people condemning Pelosi's resolution on the Armenian genocide are also the ones who yell "Holocaust denier" (in regards to Ahmadinejad) left and right as they try to get the US to invade Iran (or even to deny Ahmadinejad's mere presence at Columbia).

People are too busy shouting up each other's asses to notice an intelligent remark like this. You have understand that what you are doing here is seeing into the dark. Nobody will notice such perspicacity because they are blind.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem

Lobbyists dont care about political ideology, they care about getting their own agenda passed.

That's true, of course, but this just kind of reinforces the point. Dave seems to think that only the GOP is taking checks ... which is why the silence from him is deafening :laugh:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Common sense is to wait to PO a friendly country in the region we're fighting a war in, 92 F'ing years after an event happened? That's your version of common sense?

It's common sense because its recognition has been delayed for quite a long time. Listing the amount of years it has been delayed actually helps my case.

It in no way helps your case. The people who were killed are all dead. The kids of the people who were killed are all dead. This is simply a symbolic gesture that easily could have waited until Iraq calmed down and/or we weren't so dependant on Turkey.

My problem with this is that the US has not recognized this as a genocide for 92 years. For 92 years, it's not been important enough to spend time on. But now, in the midst of a war, we pick the same issue that's sat for 92 years to rebuke a country helping us.

How F'ing stupid is that?

Don't know how long you've been following politics, but this has been delayed for at least a couple decades now based on the literature I've seen. This is long overdue.

At 92 years, it's so long overdue as to be almost useless in its issuance. There is absolutely no difference in 92 years, 94 years, 96 years, or 98 years...it's all a stupidly long time to acknowledge something of such magnitude. To do it now though is a tatical mistake that will buy us nothing with Turkey who right now is helping us and showing some restraint with the Kurds.

Why, with everything we have going on in the ME now, would we pass a symbolic gesture for something that happened 92 years ago???

Absolutley F'ing dumb...just ineptly dumb....

Chuck

How can you insult the Turks this way at a time when they are helping us fight a war. You are a traitor. I don't think it's fair at all to call the Turks 'dum...just ineptly dumb' for getting so incredibly wound up for something that happened 92, a stupidly long time to remember something of such magnitude. Good grief, you don't seriously think the Turks give a sh!t whether they committed genocide that long ago do you. Crap, all the guilty Turks are long dead.

chuckles2 isn't the only one who likes to laugh. Not much funnier that a donkey who laughs at others using the same logic he laughs at.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: Wreckem

That's true, of course, but this just kind of reinforces the point. Dave seems to think that only the GOP is taking checks ... which is why the silence from him is deafening :laugh:

The noise from Pabster is deficating. :laugh:

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
It is now looking like this anti-Turkey resolution might not even get a vote.

Chalk up another failure for Pelosi.

Can anyone name one meaningful victory for the Democrats since taking power?

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: ZebuluniteV
I think it's pretty ironic that many of the people condemning Pelosi's resolution on the Armenian genocide are also the ones who yell "Holocaust denier" (in regards to Ahmadinejad) left and right as they try to get the US to invade Iran (or even to deny Ahmadinejad's mere presence at Columbia).

People are too busy shouting up each other's asses to notice an intelligent remark like this. You have understand that what you are doing here is seeing into the dark. Nobody will notice such perspicacity because they are blind.
It's not from anyone being blind, Moonie and it's you who are in the dark right now. There was no irony because there is no parallel between the Holocaust deniers and this situation. The issue is not about denying the Armenian genocide and I haven't seen a single person in this thread argue that it didn't happen. The fact is that the genocide itself really has very little to do with why Pelosi introduced this bill.

And please give up all the metaphorical babbling. It's long past its tediously mind-numbing expiration date.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

The point is: To those it really matters to - the people killed and their children - our actions mean absolutely nothing. Why? Because they're all dead!

But this applies to Holocaust victims too! Are you really going to tell me that just because the Holocaust happened 65 years ago that we shouldn't care as much?

Ok, so now that we've recognized it, what great and fantastical things now happen?

The rest of the world goes, Wow! That USA, it took her a while, but wow, we love her so much now that they've recognized what the Armenians went through just a short 92 years ago... OK, not going to happen.

You completely miss the point of the resolution. To put it simply, it's a morally-justified bill. To deem these types of bills a waste of time is to essentially root out any moral fiber from our legislature. Are you OK with that?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: palehorse74
way to state the obvious! :confused:

I don't think so. Neither the remark you quote nor the one you added say a damn think that is either intelligent or persuasive. I think you just drooled on the table.

What makes Pelosi a POS in my opinion were, among other things, her remark 'we won't impeach Bush' and her support for the farm bill.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

But this applies to Holocaust victims too! Are you really going to tell me that just because the Holocaust happened 65 years ago that we shouldn't care as much?

You completely miss the point of the resolution. To put it simply, it's a morally-justified bill. To deem these types of bills a waste of time is to essentially root out any moral fiber from our legislature. Are you OK with that?

You need to ask?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

I don't think so. Neither the remark you quote nor the one you added say a damn think that is either intelligent or persuasive. I think you just drooled on the table.

What makes Pelosi a POS in my opinion were, among other things, her remark 'we won't impeach Bush' and her support for the farm bill.

I find it interesting that you say this when you just called someone intelligent for comparing this to someone denying the holocaust. Who here has denied the Armenian genocide again Moonbeam?

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: JD50

I find it interesting that you say this when you just called someone intelligent for comparing this to someone denying the holocaust. Who here has denied the Armenian genocide again Moonbeam?
Nobody has. Moonie had some extra straw and no idea what to do with it.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Nancy and the Democrats could care one iota about the troops,

all they care about is their own jobs and getting a Democrat into the WH in '08 - that's it.

It is not the job of Nancy & the Democrats job to "care" about the troops at this point in time.

They are not the ones that put them in harms way.

It is your Traitor In Chief that did so.

Their job should be to look out for their jobs and a get a Democrat in the WH in '08 for the sake of the country and the world from out of the hands of GOP supporters like you.

Typical response from a cold hearted political tool.

that is what I was thinking

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I find nothing here to suggest you comprehended a thing I said and thus your question makes not the slightest sense to me. I did not call somebody intelligent for comparing this to someone denying the holocaust. I called somebody intelligent for seeing that the same people who were all exercised about the madness of the Iranian president for denying the holocaust are the same blind fools demanding here that the Congress deny a similar holocaust. You two faced idiots are disgusting.

Sep 12, 2004

I find nothing here to suggest you comprehended a thing I said and thus your question makes not the slightest sense to me. I did not call somebody intelligent for comparing this to someone denying the holocaust. I called somebody intelligent for seeing that the same people who were all exercised about the madness of the Iranian president for denying the holocaust are the same blind fools demanding here that the Congress deny a similar holocaust. You two faced idiots are disgusting.
See. Einstein was right. Light noticeably bends around a large enough gravitational force. Apparently it wriggles too.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Really? Please show me where someone has suggested that Congress deny the Armenian genocide. I have not seen congress issue a non-binding resolution relating to gravity, I guess that means that congress is denying gravity....:roll:

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: michaels
Topic Title: Nancy Pelosi is such a POS

WTH is she doing? Try to pass this resolution about the Armenian genocide from a 100 years ago! What her real motive is her and other dem's do not have the balls to stand for what they believe and cut funding for the war, so they wanna pull shit like this that will make it much harder on the effort. Tons of equipment comes from inside Turkey.

What a f'ing snake

I love it.

Hillary not even voted in as POTUS yet and the righties are having a canary. :thumbsup:

Sweet. I'm glad we already had our secret convention where we made Hillary the nominee. I was getting sick of all that primary talk anyway