Nader Says a Run Would Benefit Democrats

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My first reaction was that I would be delusional too if I single handedly put Bush in a position where he could be selected by the Coup, but then I've faced worse news so maybe not.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Wow... As if singlehandedly giftwrapping the presidency to the neocons 3 years ago and with it down the drain go the hope of the free world... once... isn't enough for one man. :)

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: busmaster11
Wow... As if singlehandedly giftwrapping the presidency to the neocons 3 years ago and with it down the drain go the hope of the free world... once... isn't enough for one man. :)

you seem to have a flair for drama.

perhaps you should get into theatre?

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
This guy is still sticking to his story that he though Bush and Gore were very similar and one was not better than the other. He says he only now realizes how bad Bush is. What a moron. :|

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: TheBDB
This guy is still sticking to his story that he though Bush and Gore were very similar and one was not better than the other. He says he only now realizes how bad Bush is. What a moron. :|

Even Molly Ivins, author of Shrub, and Paul Begala, author of Is Our Children Learning?, didn't think Bush would be as radical as he has become. So lay off the man. He performed decades of public service for the people of this country before the 2000 debacle.

After listening to alot of recent interviews, I tend to agree with Nader. He isn't running with any party. He'll run as a true independent. The vast majority of his voters in 2000 will vote for the Democrat, and an ever higher percentage will vote for Dean if he wins the nomination. Nader's candidacy won't hurt Dean at all. As a true independent, Nader can take even more damaging swipes at Bush than the Dem nominee will.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
Originally posted by: TheBDB

Even Molly Ivins, author of Shrub, and Paul Begala, author of Is Our Children Learning?, didn't think Bush would be as radical as he has become. So lay off the man. He performed decades of public service for the people of this country before the 2000 debacle.

After listening to alot of recent interviews, I tend to agree with Nader. He isn't running with any party. He'll run as a true independent. The vast majority of his voters in 2000 will vote for the Democrat, and an ever higher percentage will vote for Dean if he wins the nomination. Nader's candidacy won't hurt Dean at all. As a true independent, Nader can take even more damaging swipes at Bush than the Dem nominee will.

You're right. Who knew beforehand that Bush was the Antichrist? I sure didn't, hell, I voted for the bastard!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
You're right. Who knew beforehand that Bush was the Antichrist? I sure didn't, hell, I voted for the bastard!
I thought YOU did. Which makes sense considering your stated goal is to hasten armageddon. ;)

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I thought YOU did. Which makes sense considering your stated goal is to hasten armageddon. ;)

If I knew Bush was the Antichrist *before* the 2000 election why would I have voted for him? :confused:

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

If I knew Bush was the Antichrist *before* the 2000 election why would I have voted for him? :confused:

Because you want to hasten armageddon. I already said that. All the sooner you get to be with Jeebus, right? :)

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

Because you want to hasten armageddon. I already said that. All the sooner you get to be with Jeebus, right? :)

"But I don't even believe in Jebus!
"SAVE ME JEBUS!!!"
hehe, Homer is teh funnay :p

Despite the fact that I do want Armageddon to come, I certainly wouldn't throw my support behind the Antichrist. That would equate to "worship of the beast/image of the beast". At least, in my mind it would.

Nietzscheusw

Dec 28, 2003
If you look at the platforms of Nader, Gore, and Bush in 2000, it is obvious that Gore and Bush were the candidates of corporations, while Nader was the candidate opposing corporations.
Why democrats didn't vote for Nader but for a candidate friendlier with corporations than with the people was quite puzzling.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Nietzscheusw
If you look at the platforms of Nader, Gore, and Bush in 2000, it is obvious that Gore and Bush were the candidates of corporations, while Nader was the candidate opposing corporations.
Why democrats didn't vote for Nader but for a candidate friendlier with corporations than with the people was quite puzzling.

Ahh you know your stuff.. The end result, with every democratic or republican politcians, is that our tax system is primarily a tax on labor. It amazes me that the calls to abolish our marginal taxes come primarily from the right rather than from the left. Philosophically, it is a system the left should hate. However, when they relise thier re-election campaign needs money and there's a tax bill in committee to free returns of capital it's rubber stamped while the wage earners get a hit. About 99.9% of tax law is to use tax complexity by people in the stratosphere to limit thier liability..

Nietzscheusw

Dec 28, 2003
So why do you support Wall Street Dean instead of Nader, Zebo?
Dean only wants to revert one tax cut for the rich.
Nader wants to revert 1000 tax cuts for the rich.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Because Dean has a slim shot. With the two party system you take what you can get. Fringe candidates loose elections for those who should have won too, Bush in 92' and Gore in 00" both lost because of them. Spoilers:(

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Because Dean has a slim shot. With the two party system you take what you can get. Fringe candidates loose elections for those who should have won too, Bush in 92' and Gore in 00" both lost because of them. Spoilers:(

Nietzscheusw

Dec 28, 2003
Zebo, do you want your real ideas to win in the long term, or you want to get a little thrill every 4 years by supporting someone whom corporate media tell you and everyone he is the only one who can defeat the republican candidate?
Don't you see it is a theater play? Dean was on the front page of Time and Newsweek the same week! It means that corporations decided that Dean was the candidate they would present to the public as the one angry people should gather around and support if they really want to defeat Bush. Dean is a candidate that the corporations are willing to publicize because he is their second choice. The goal is to get angry people to vote not for an entirely different policy but for a little different candidate.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Nietzscheusw
Zebo, do you want your real ideas to win in the long term, or you want to get a little thrill every 4 years by supporting someone whom corporate media tell you and everyone he is the only one who can defeat the republican candidate?
Don't you see it is a theater play? Dean was on the front page of Time and Newsweek the same week! It means that corporations decided that Dean was the candidate they would present to the public as the one angry people should gather around and support if they really want to defeat Bush. Dean is a candidate that the corporations are willing to publicize because he is their second choice. The goal is to get angry people to vote not for an entirely different policy but for a little different candidate.
I think we all know that in the plurality system we have, Nader won't win for a while...

But that doesn't mean that if you're a fan of his, you can't see his ideas put into practice. If I were a member of the DNC this fall, looking at poll numbers like Bush 47%, Edwards 45%, Nader 8%, I think I'd casually call up Nader and say, "Alright Ralph. What do you really want?"

"I wanna be president so I can blah blah blah," would say Nader.

"How about more strict regulation of trust law?" (Or a drop in military spending...or tougher corporate law...or tougher traffic laws :))

Who knows...if the ground acquiesced amounts to less than the chance Nader would swing the vote, then I'd make the deal....otherwise I wouldn't.

But wait, would this be bad for America?

Not really...Americans on the whole would get a president who better represented their views (because in this hypothetical example, you can see that 53% of voters were actually left of center...not just 45%) and those 8% of Americans who feel really strongly about Nader's views would at least get something toward what they want...instead of nothing.

Nietzscheusw

Dec 28, 2003
b0mbrman, the problem is that Nader has been fighting corporations for decades, while democrats have gotten friendly as can be with corporations (Nafta). You are deep into theory. Reality is closer to Wal-mart fighting its employees trying to unionize, democratic candidates being in Wal-mart's camp, Nader with the employees.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
...and you're deep into ideals at the price of actual change. Remember, Nader has to win before any of his ideas can start moving...

To me, seeing America take a step in the right direction is worth having to remove my old "Don't blame me, I voted for Nader" sticker :)

Nietzscheusw

Dec 28, 2003
They are two unreconciliable directions. See how Wal-marts fights its employees! Democrats sold themselves to Wal-mart and co. I am realistic. You are an idealist.