Mysterious Thread Disappearance(s)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Agentbolt

I have posted where you guys broke your own rules by deleting the thread with no explanation. ...
Actually, you didn't. You read into the rules. Can you see the difference?

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: bsobel
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
[ If L&R is "strictly love and relationship" stuff only, why did your boss sticky a hot babes thread to the top of it?
Because he's new to this forum stuff and went in with an idealistic
attitude not imagining how lewd, sophmoric and downright childish a small but significant percentage of the members are. I mean come on, you know he never expected some straight male members to post a thread asking how much it would take for other straight male members to blow a guy.

Wow even posting that seems crude and disgusting.:shocked::laugh:

Then, again, if that's not cool or whatever, perhaps after several months of letting that kind of thing run rampant, you should either accept that that's the way it is, and not arbitrarily close threads that break the rule while leaving others open, or make some kind of public announcement that the mods feel L&R has gotten out of control and start cracking down on everything.

Right now you guys are doing neither, which is blatantly unfair. And whatever you do, considering Derek is the guy we're supposed to go to if we have a problem with a senior mod, maybe you guys should be working together on this, no?

Well, you asked, we answered. Your welcome to contact Derek if you feel your thread deserves such a look.

Well, yeah, that seems to be the only option I've got left. The Mod who locked it probably isn't going to bother replying, it's not the first time I've had a thread locked and nobody was willing to take credit for it. This mod accountability movement that got started a few months ago really went somewhere. :roll:
It has as most of us sign our names to our edits and post why the thread is locked. You can bet that if I find a thread of yours that needs to be deleted I will let you know that it was I who deleted it and the reason why. If that doesn't happen then the Mod who didn't do it wasn't following the guidelines set forth by ATHQ via Derek. From my perspective the vast majority of the Mods are following those guidelines.

And if you've read my complaint, this Mod isn't. It's happened at least twice now, and that's just to me. My complaint is hardly a unique one. I'm not saying YOU did it, Red Dawn. I'm simply saying if there's no accountability for the mods who choose not to follow the rule, even if most of you are following it, it's not a real useful rule.

Link me to the rule.

2) Locking threads ? Threads that violate user or posting guidelines or degrade into flame wars or are full of nef posts will be locked. Locking will always be preferred to editing or deletion where possible. If a thread is meandering off topic and could still be saved, moderators may issues a warning in the thread that it is in danger of being locked. Otherwise, when locking a thread, the moderator will post a reason before the lock.

You really want to split hairs and claim that because the thread was deleted, that negates the rule? There was no explanation given, if there's supposed to be one given for a lock, there should DEFINITELY be one given for an outright deletion that's only supposed to happen as a last resort

Might want to brush up on your understanding of your own guidelines, sir.

Actually, I really wanted the link as I hadn't seen it in writing. I am sorry but contrary to popular opinion, I am not perfect. pyonir and Cdubneeddeal keep implying it but they are just teasing us. I find it curious you start off so hostile when I am trying to help. I can't help but question your motives.

But to your point.
There was no explanation given...
As allisolm said, reason may have been given but fusetalk hosed it.
It may have not been given. No one knows.
Also, as I have said many times, we had lots of Mods here. Maybe one who hadn't seen it before (hence the length of time it lasted) decided it wasn't appropriate and acted on it.
Maybe fusetalk ate it.
I looked through the Admin logs and I see nothing related to that thread. I don't know why. I really wish I could give you the reason but I don't know the answer.
We are grasping at straws here trying to figure out what happened and are having no luck.
If it makes you feel better to attack us for something we know nothing about, I say go for it. But be sure to make general statements and not attack anyone specifically.

I edited out the last part of what I said, as it came out snarkier than I thought. Generally when people demand a link to prove what I'm saying, it's because they don't believe me. I thought you were questioning whether this rule even existed, as bsobel was. As you can both see, it does.

As is my understanding, I can be sent a general email telling me that my thread was deleted, but there's not going to be any personal comments on it explaining why it was deleted, or who deleted it. If my understanding of the system is wrong, please let me know. I had assumed there was a reason that 90% of the locked threads had an edit and explanation right in the OP to tell the poster what wasn't kosher. Learning that my thread was deleted itself isn't terribly useful, I figured that out on my own. I'd have preferred something a little more specific.

You can question my motives all you want, but I've received nothing but criticism in this post for daring to point out that the mods aren't following their own guidelines. I've ignored it when it's happened before, but this is not the first or even second time this has occurred. Again, I've sent links to locked threads with no explanation, and Derek's very aware of the other threads that were simply nuked for no apparent reason. Whether he does anything about it or not isn't my problem, I guess, I can just keep complaining if it keeps happening. I'm not out to attack anyone personally here, I'm just disgusted by the few mods who apparently have decided they're going to ignore rules that were made to make ATOT better while punishing people who don't follow the member rules.

Also, I can't help but point out that in both of my erased threads, mods were posting in it and having a grand old time. I don't know if they were L&R mods, but a non L&R mod has chimed in on this thread several times, so I don't see why I should ignore a different mod posting in the thread and having no problem with it.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004

I have posted where you guys broke your own rules by deleting the thread with no explanation. ...

Again, split hairs all you want. Deleting a thread is a bigger deal than locking it. Any reasonable person can see that the "give a reason for locking it" rule also applies to deleting it. It's not "reading into" the rules to exercise common sense.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

Again, split hairs all you want. Deleting a thread is a bigger deal than locking it. Any reasonable person can see that the "give a reason for locking it" rule also applies to deleting it. It's not "reading into" the rules to exercise common sense.

Actually, I don't feel I am splitting hairs. I believe I am being literal.

I do know that when there rules were discussed, there was a contingent that felt if a user had been here long enough to know the rules and was posting in a neffing/trolling way, it was appropriate to delete the thread without explanation.
I don't recall the final outcome of that discussion but you'll notice the rules don't say notice must be made if a thread is deleted. Just locked.
On the same token, I can't find the rule that says Mods must sign their names to their edits. I honestly would appreciate it if you could link me to that, too.

On your other concern, you have nothing to fear if you don't start personal attacks. We are trying to resolve this.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004

Actually, I don't feel I am splitting hairs. I believe I am being literal.

I do know that when there rules were discussed, there was a contingent that felt if a user had been here long enough to know the rules and was posting in a neffing/trolling way, it was appropriate to delete the thread without explanation.
I don't recall the final outcome of that discussion but you'll notice the rules don't say notice must be made if a thread is deleted. Just locked.
On the same token, I can't find the rule that says Mods must sign their names to their edits. I honestly would appreciate it if you could link me to that, too.

On your other concern, you have nothing to fear if you don't start personal attacks. We are trying to resolve this.

A) I wasn't posting in an obviously neffing or trolling way. They offended nobody, were rated highly, participated in by other mods, and I was content to let them die, I was barely posting in either one.

B ) I thought you guys were vehemently opposed to tying yourselves down to very specific interpretations of the rules. Now you're suddenly very to-the-letter? All right.

I appreciate the concern you appear to be showing, but I highly doubt there's any "resolution" to this. Nobody's going to get "fired" as a mod, nor would I ever want them to be over something like this. I'm not trying to publicly rake someone over the coals either, my by far preferred solution was to discuss this privately.

Either nobody's going to step forward and admit to doing it, or I'll come back to this thread to find a "Fuck you, I didn't like your threads so I deleted them, suck it" post from whoever owned up to it.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
They offended nobody

That actually I know to be a false statement, there were a number of comments about how low L&Rs content had gone. That thread was referenced more than once. So, you can argue they shouldn't have offended anyone, but claiming that as a fact is simply false.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Originally posted by: bsobel
They offended nobody

That actually I know to be a false statement, there were a number of comments about how low L&Rs content had gone. That thread was referenced more than once. So, you can argue they shouldn't have offended anyone, but claiming that as a fact is simply false.

Really? Well, I stand corrected. I don't see how anyone could legitimately be offended by that thread, but you're right, that's not the same as saying no one WAS offended. I still stand by the rest of my comments, however. It'd be tough to find more than one or two posts in ATOT that don't offend SOMEONE, however.

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
You really want to split hairs and claim that because the thread was deleted, that negates the rule? There was no explanation given, if there's supposed to be one given for a lock, there should DEFINITELY be one given for an outright deletion that's only supposed to happen as a last resort

As I posted earlier ... the requirement to sign and give a reason only applies to lock and not delete specifically because it is a bigger deal. We get a lot of posts we have to delete from spammers, blatant rules violations, etc, and sending an explaination for every one is a huge increase in overhead to satisfy a group of people who mostly already knew their thread was going to be deleted when they posted it (there are, of course, exceptions). It is also only useful to the thread's author and not everyone who commented in or viewed the thread. The limited value and added work load of notifying on delete is specifically why we left it out of the requirements.

olds mentioned that there is no requirement to sign an edit ... I'll clarify that right now for you guys and in the rules. It is required to sign an edit. Sorry for the confusion there.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DerekWilson

As I posted earlier ... the requirement to sign and give a reason only applies to lock and not delete specifically because it is a bigger deal. We get a lot of posts we have to delete from spammers, blatant rules violations, etc, and sending an explaination for every one is a huge increase in overhead to satisfy a group of people who mostly already knew their thread was going to be deleted when they posted it (there are, of course, exceptions). It is also only useful to the thread's author and not everyone who commented in or viewed the thread. The limited value and added work load of notifying on delete is specifically why we left it out of the requirements.

olds mentioned that there is no requirement to sign an edit ... I'll clarify that right now for you guys and in the rules. It is required to sign an edit. Sorry for the confusion there.

hi ... welcome back ... it is good to have clarification ... again

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

3) Editing posts ? Posts that contain content that violates our posting guidelines may be edited by moderators to remove the offending content. If an entire post is blatantly in violation of our guidelines, moderators reserve the right to delete all the text in the post and make any kind of witty comment they feel appropriate. Edits will also be signed by the moderator making the change. Users who post content that needs to be edited will have action taken against them. Initially this will be a warning, but repeated offenses could result in stiffer penalties.

Can we add something in there about sanctioning users responding to posts in the wrong forum? That sure would cut it down.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004

Sure, all right. I can drop that argument. However, the post, according to the guidelines, never should have been deleted in the first place. I'm not a known spammer or trouble maker, the thread was up for over a month with mod participation, and deleting it was not a last resort. The fact that the deleter wasn't required to note why he did it or identify himself is immaterial, the reasons you're giving for not bothering to do any of that in the first place all apply to deleting posts from spammers and people blatantly trolling. I.e., that it's only done when the poster knows exactly what he did wrong, and no one would learn anything useful from locking and displaying it for all to see. Considering the extensive confusion just in THIS thread regarding what's acceptable in L&R, that's clearly not the case.

If the mod had followed the guidelines, he'd have locked it, and THEN he'd have been required to sign and note why.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
There is accountability for mods who don't follow the rules.

Point me to threads that have been locked without being signed and I'll track down the person who locked it and deal with it.

For threads that have been deleted, if you have a link to it before it was deleted, post it and i can find it so we can further look into the issue. Deletes should only be used for very blatant violations of the rules, spam, repeated nef posting (to reduce clutter), or author delete requests.

For deleted threads, we are haveing problems with PMs right now, and it is likely that some software error ocurred that caused you not to be notified. Our thread delete notify emails rather than PMs, so if you don't have a current email address in your profile you won't get updates even if the mod checks the box.

We can look into requiring mods to notify the author by PM about a delete, but the idea is that deletes will only be used when it is clearly and absolutley needed. If we need to adjust our policy on that we certainly can, but we'll have to discuss the necessity and impact of this.

You can PM or email the moderator, you can PM or email me (but I have quite a backlog right now so I'll be slow), or you can post here.

Oh snap! Daddy's home!!!

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
I saw the new rules posted in L&R, so thanks for making the rules a bit more clear about what's going to be allowed in there from now on. :)

It's still unfortunate whatever mod killed my threads in violation of the guidelines never had the balls to at least admit to it in here, though.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I saw the new rules posted in L&R, so thanks for making the rules a bit more clear about what's going to be allowed in there from now on. :)

It's still unfortunate whatever mod killed my threads in violation of the guidelines never had the balls to at least admit to it in here, though.
Calm it son.

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
I looked over the thread ...

My official ruling is that the thread could have been locked as it did have many posts dealing with / encouraging / etc prostitution. Deleting the thread was NOT out of line with moderator discretion because of this according to the current guidelines. No further action needs to be taken in this case.

At the same time, I do sympathize with the issue of deleting a thread that had been around for a while.

Going forward I am evaluating a change of the guidelines to forbid deletion of threads older than a certain number of days / weeks in favor of a lock or in favor of splitting off the thread from where it degraded to a point that required deletion of many posts. Either way a warning or explanation would be placed in all old threads that were later deemed inappropriate for whatever reason.

We will not be requiring moderators to explain a deletion or to PM the author notifying of deletion. If a moderator chooses to notify you of why a thread was deleted then count your self lucky and thank the mod who went above and beyond to do so.

As always, if a thread is deleted that you don't think should have been, post it here or email me and I will research the issue to the best of my ability.

I am listening to members and moderators and I am trying to make the changes we need to keep things running smoothly here.

We will update the guidelines when the senior moderators and I have finished debating the specifics of the change.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Appreciate your looking into it. If you say it wasn't out of line, then it wasn't out of line. End of story.