Mysterious Thread Disappearance(s)

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
My thread about posting Craigslist ads to hook up with random women appears to have vanished. I was going to go update it and can't find it anywhere. It was up for at least a month and it didn't break any ATOT rules.

Naturally, whomever deleted it didn't PM me, or lock it first with an explanation, so I can't directly ask the mod him/herself why it was locked, so now I get to post publically in the personal forum issues thread. So thanks for that, Mr./Mrs. Mod!

edit: Looks like Mystery Mod killed TWO of my threads, nicely done sir. Of course the dirty talk thread stayed around. Because heck, what says "Love and Relationships" more than a thread about cursing and saying filthy stuff in the bedroom? :Disgust;

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
The purpose of L&R is to discuss love and relationships, not random hookups you happen to have. Someone finally enforced the rules.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
The rules haven't been enforced since the forum was created then. If there's been a sudden shift in how it's going to be moderated, some kind of, you know, message indicating that would be appreciated.

What I'm mostly sick of is this whole "mod accountability" thing going down the tubes before it even started. How'm I suppposed to take it up with the mod personally if they're just going to anonymously delete it on me?

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
You're never supposed to take it up with the mod personally.

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001
I agree on both points, the rules for that forum need to be better stated. Not sure why the thread was deleted vs locked, I (honestly) wasnt the one who did it (and I'm not shy to lock L&R threads)

Bill

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Originally posted by: allisolm

So this is what I'm supposed to do instead, complain about it publicly? I thought posting about it here was supposed to be a last resort.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Agentbolt

So this is what I'm supposed to do instead, complain about it publicly? I thought posting about it here was supposed to be a last resort.

You didn't have to complain about it publicly. You had other options.

From the Guidelines:

"12) Do not contact individual moderators. Please direct violations of these guidelines to moderator@anandtech.com, AnandTech Moderator by PM or post in Personal Forum Issues to request attention for something. Please be patient with moderation requests and inquiries. Users found in violation of this directive will be given only one warning and pointed in the right direction before further action is taken."

The mod who moved it may have, when he moved it, checked the box to notify the OP - apparently that, like many other things, is broken. I know I just found it out yesterday.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004

You didn't have to complain about it publicly. You had other options.

From the Guidelines:

"12) Do not contact individual moderators. Please direct violations of these guidelines to moderator@anandtech.com, AnandTech Moderator by PM or post in Personal Forum Issues to request attention for something. Please be patient with moderation requests and inquiries. Users found in violation of this directive will be given only one warning and pointed in the right direction before further action is taken."

The mod who moved it may have, when he moved it, checked the box to notify the OP - apparently that, like many other things, is broken. I know I just found it out yesterday.

Well then, I guess I COULD have done that, if I wanted absolutely no resolution. PMing the generic moderator account wouldn't have gotten me an answer, as whichever mod opened the PM would almost certainly not have known who deleted it. If the "notify OP" option is broken, then it seems my only option if I wanted any answers was to post here.

Besides, if he or she was planning on informing me and the "inform" button was broken, that explains part of it, but not the part where I got absolutely zero explanation for why it was deleted in the first place. If L&R is "strictly love and relationship" stuff only, why did your boss sticky a hot babes thread to the top of it?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
[ If L&R is "strictly love and relationship" stuff only, why did your boss sticky a hot babes thread to the top of it?
Because he's new to this forum stuff and went in with an idealistic
attitude not imagining how lewd, sophmoric and downright childish a small but significant percentage of the members are. I mean come on, you know he never expected some straight male members to post a thread asking how much it would take for other straight male members to blow a guy.

Wow even posting that seems crude and disgusting.:shocked::laugh:

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
[ If L&R is "strictly love and relationship" stuff only, why did your boss sticky a hot babes thread to the top of it?
attitude not imagining how lewd, sophmoric and downright childish a small but significant percentage of the members are. I mean come on, you know he never expected some straight male members to post a thread asking how much it would take for other straight male members to blow a guy.

Amen.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004

Then, again, if that's not cool or whatever, perhaps after several months of letting that kind of thing run rampant, you should either accept that that's the way it is, and not arbitrarily close threads that break the rule while leaving others open, or make some kind of public announcement that the mods feel L&R has gotten out of control and start cracking down on everything.

Right now you guys are doing neither, which is blatantly unfair. And whatever you do, considering Derek is the guy we're supposed to go to if we have a problem with a senior mod, maybe you guys should be working together on this, no?

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001

Then, again, if that's not cool or whatever, perhaps after several months of letting that kind of thing run rampant, you should either accept that that's the way it is, and not arbitrarily close threads that break the rule while leaving others open, or make some kind of public announcement that the mods feel L&R has gotten out of control and start cracking down on everything.

Right now you guys are doing neither, which is blatantly unfair. And whatever you do, considering Derek is the guy we're supposed to go to if we have a problem with a senior mod, maybe you guys should be working together on this, no?

Well, you asked, we answered. Your welcome to contact Derek if you feel your thread deserves such a look.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Originally posted by: bsobel

Well, you asked, we answered. Your welcome to contact Derek if you feel your thread deserves such a look.

Well, yeah, that seems to be the only option I've got left. The Mod who locked it probably isn't going to bother replying, it's not the first time I've had a thread locked and nobody was willing to take credit for it. This mod accountability movement that got started a few months ago really went somewhere. :roll:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Actually most of us stear clear of that cesspool called L&R and only take notice when we get a PM complaining that the pervs and kiddies have really gone over the edge like the thread I mentioned.

Obviously some mod stumbled across that forum and was so disgusted with what he/she saw that they deleted the worse of the threads

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Well, yeah, that seems to be the only option I've got left. The Mod who locked it probably isn't going to bother replying, it's not the first time I've had a thread locked and nobody was willing to take credit for it. This mod accountability movement that got started a few months ago really went somewhere. :roll:
It has as most of us sign our names to our edits and post why the thread is locked. You can bet that if I find a thread of yours that needs to be deleted I will let you know that it was I who deleted it and the reason why. If that doesn't happen then the Mod who didn't do it wasn't following the guidelines set forth by ATHQ via Derek. From my perspective the vast majority of the Mods are following those guidelines.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004

It has as most of us sign our names to our edits and post why the thread is locked. You can bet that if I find a thread of yours that needs to be deleted I will let you know that it was I who deleted it and the reason why. If that doesn't happen then the Mod who didn't do it wasn't following the guidelines set forth by ATHQ via Derek. From my perspective the vast majority of the Mods are following those guidelines.

And if you've read my complaint, this Mod isn't. It's happened at least twice now, and that's just to me. My complaint is hardly a unique one. I'm not saying YOU did it, Red Dawn. I'm simply saying if there's no accountability for the mods who choose not to follow the rule, even if most of you are following it, it's not a real useful rule.

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
There is accountability for mods who don't follow the rules.

Point me to threads that have been locked without being signed and I'll track down the person who locked it and deal with it.

For threads that have been deleted, if you have a link to it before it was deleted, post it and i can find it so we can further look into the issue. Deletes should only be used for very blatant violations of the rules, spam, repeated nef posting (to reduce clutter), or author delete requests.

For deleted threads, we are haveing problems with PMs right now, and it is likely that some software error ocurred that caused you not to be notified. Our thread delete notify emails rather than PMs, so if you don't have a current email address in your profile you won't get updates even if the mod checks the box.

We can look into requiring mods to notify the author by PM about a delete, but the idea is that deletes will only be used when it is clearly and absolutley needed. If we need to adjust our policy on that we certainly can, but we'll have to discuss the necessity and impact of this.

You can PM or email the moderator, you can PM or email me (but I have quite a backlog right now so I'll be slow), or you can post here.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

And if you've read my complaint, this Mod isn't. It's happened at least twice now, and that's just to me. My complaint is hardly a unique one. I'm not saying YOU did it, Red Dawn. I'm simply saying if there's no accountability for the mods who choose not to follow the rule, even if most of you are following it, it's not a real useful rule.

Link me to the rule.

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001
It was up for at least a month and it didn't break any ATOT rules.

Actually it broke this rule:

4) Deleting threads and posts ? Pure spam or troll posts will be deleted. Threads that are entirely offensive or detrimental to the community will be deleted. Deleting threads will be a last resort for cases where most posts would otherwise need to be edited or deleted to remove inappropriate content. We prefer locking and editing where possible. Users whose posts need to be deleted may or may not receive a warning before some sort of ban.

I agree a lock and explanation would be better, but don't cry we deleted your post about fixing a broken Vista install. You were bragging about your success having casual sex hookups via Craigslist, not exactly the tone the forums are looking for.

You want to fight your case find, but this isnt the thread to back in that horse race.

Bill

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
It was up for at least a month and it didn't break any ATOT rules.

Actually it broke this rule:

4) Deleting threads and posts ? Pure spam or troll posts will be deleted. Threads that are entirely offensive or detrimental to the community will be deleted. Deleting threads will be a last resort for cases where most posts would otherwise need to be edited or deleted to remove inappropriate content. We prefer locking and editing where possible. Users whose posts need to be deleted may or may not receive a warning before some sort of ban.

I agree a lock and explanation would be better, but don't cry we deleted your post about fixing a broken Vista install. You were bragging about your success having casual sex hookups via Craigslist, not exactly the tone the forums are looking for.

You want to fight your case find, but this isnt the thread to back in that horse race.

Bill

You're right, of course, it was so detrimental to the community that it was up for over a month and had about 150 replies before anyone even did anything about it. And then it was SO detrimental that it simply had to be outright deleted instead of locked. Way to pick and choose which aspects of your own rules will be followed though. I've bolded the part that got ignored. If you want to claim my CL post destroyed the community whereas the dirty talk thread somehow does not, by all means, and that you guys aren't being arbitrary at all by simply deleting the thread and giving no explanation, then by all means back THAT horse and see how far you get.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

Link me to the rule.

2) Locking threads ? Threads that violate user or posting guidelines or degrade into flame wars or are full of nef posts will be locked. Locking will always be preferred to editing or deletion where possible. If a thread is meandering off topic and could still be saved, moderators may issues a warning in the thread that it is in danger of being locked. Otherwise, when locking a thread, the moderator will post a reason before the lock.

You really want to split hairs and claim that because the thread was deleted, that negates the rule? There was no explanation given, if there's supposed to be one given for a lock, there should DEFINITELY be one given for an outright deletion that's only supposed to happen as a last resort

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001
You're right, of course, it was so detrimental to the community that it was up for over a month and had about 150 replies before anyone even did anything about it. And then it was SO detrimental that it simply had to be outright deleted instead of locked. Way to pick and choose which aspects of your own rules will be followed though. I've bolded the part that got ignored. If you want to claim my CL post destroyed the community whereas the dirty talk thread somehow does not, by all means, and that you guys aren't being arbitrary at all by simply deleting the thread and giving no explanation, then by all means back THAT horse and see how far you get.

Derek should be posting some comments in there in the next few days, but I'd suggest you wait to read them and also suggest you realize yours was one of a number of posts over the line and the list may not be inclusive. If there are other posts in there that aren't of the tone we want, they will be addressed too.

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001
Might want to brush up on your understanding of your own guidelines, sir.

I've tried to give you an explanation as to what happened. You went down the 'its against the rules' tract, I simply pointed out you were wrong. But you should keep that attitude in check.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004

I've tried to give you an explanation as to what happened. You went down the 'its against the rules' tract, I simply pointed out you were wrong. But you should keep that attitude in check.

I have posted where you guys broke your own rules by deleting the thread with no explanation. You didn't point out anything I was wrong about. Your rules say you're supposed to explain why a thread was locked/deleted, and it didn't happen. It quite often doesn't happen. I was asked for examples of this and was able to PM half a dozen to Derek that were locked with no explanation, without even really looking. End of story.

I need to stop posting in this thread, is what needs to happen. I can't fight all the senior mods at once when you're all clearly going to back each other up no matter what. I've PMed Derek, gotten a response, and got a response in this thread where he's said he'll deal with any mods who are breaking the rule quoted above. That's all I can really ask for, whether it actually happens or not isn't something I have any control over.

I'm editing out the last snarky comment to Oldsmoboat because it wasn't neccessary, however.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

Link me to the rule.

2) Locking threads ? Threads that violate user or posting guidelines or degrade into flame wars or are full of nef posts will be locked. Locking will always be preferred to editing or deletion where possible. If a thread is meandering off topic and could still be saved, moderators may issues a warning in the thread that it is in danger of being locked. Otherwise, when locking a thread, the moderator will post a reason before the lock.

You really want to split hairs and claim that because the thread was deleted, that negates the rule? There was no explanation given, if there's supposed to be one given for a lock, there should DEFINITELY be one given for an outright deletion that's only supposed to happen as a last resort

Actually, I really wanted the link as I hadn't seen it in writing. I am sorry but contrary to popular opinion, I am not perfect. pyonir and Cdubneeddeal keep implying it but they are just teasing us. I find it curious you start off so hostile when I am trying to help. I can't help but question your motives.

But to your point.
There was no explanation given...
As allisolm said, reason may have been given but fusetalk hosed it.
It may have not been given. No one knows.
Also, as I have said many times, we had lots of Mods here. Maybe one who hadn't seen it before (hence the length of time it lasted) decided it wasn't appropriate and acted on it.
Maybe fusetalk ate it.
I looked through the Admin logs and I see nothing related to that thread. I don't know why. I really wish I could give you the reason but I don't know the answer.
We are grasping at straws here trying to figure out what happened and are having no luck.
If it makes you feel better to attack us for something we know nothing about, I say go for it. But be sure to make general statements and not attack anyone specifically.