Mysterious Internet problem

Rachelove

Sep 26, 2017
Since yesterday I am facing a strange problem on my laptop, I usually hibernate my laptop and have been doing ever since I bought it 5 years ago but never had any problem with it at all, but just since yesterday I noticed that when I wake up my laptop from hibernation by pressing the power button and start using firefox only google.com and a few other sites are accessible but a few specific set of sites is not accessible i.e. Quora.com and it shows server error for all such inaccessible sites on all the browsers as well. If I restart my laptop then those sites are accessible again. Also if I use an online proxy to visit these inaccessible site and then reopen them directly on the browser then they start working fine?

I haven't seen such strange issue anytime before !!
can you tell me what is this mystery?

btw, I'm using win7, 64bit and no extra antivirus program other than the one provided by win7

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
This may be an instance when running CCleaner is useful. It will clear out all the caches, temp internet files, etc.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just, be aware, that some recent CCleaner install packages, had malware included. (See thread in Security sub-forum.)

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Those so called cleaner software offerings have screw up my systems more than helping me. I strongly advise not using them . Try a specific app for malware only.

edcoolio

May 10, 2017
Since yesterday I am facing a strange problem on my laptop, I usually hibernate my laptop and have been doing ever since I bought it 5 years ago but never had any problem with it at all, but just since yesterday I noticed that when I wake up my laptop from hibernation by pressing the power button and start using firefox only google.com and a few other sites are accessible but a few specific set of sites is not accessible i.e. Quora.com and it shows server error for all such inaccessible sites on all the browsers as well. If I restart my laptop then those sites are accessible again. Also if I use an online proxy to visit these inaccessible site and then reopen them directly on the browser then they start working fine?

I haven't seen such strange issue anytime before !!
can you tell me what is this mystery?

btw, I'm using win7, 64bit and no extra antivirus program other than the one provided by win7

If I had to bet money, I would say it is a situation with your proxy settings.

Check the computer proxy settings for the actual ethernet/wireless adapter. Make sure there is nothing strange there - ideally, no proxy. If you know how, set it all manually for testing purposes, just to be sure.

Check "Internet Proxy" settings (Internet) in Control Panel. Disable "auto proxy".

Check your browser(s) that the proxy settings have not been hijacked. Go to the proxy settings and check those for anything strange. If your not sure, logout of your browser - like chrome - and reset ALL settings.

Rachelove

Sep 26, 2017
If I had to bet money, I would say it is a situation with your proxy settings.

Check the computer proxy settings for the actual ethernet/wireless adapter. Make sure there is nothing strange there - ideally, no proxy. If you know how, set it all manually for testing purposes, just to be sure.

Check "Internet Proxy" settings (Internet) in Control Panel. Disable "auto proxy".

Check your browser(s) that the proxy settings have not been hijacked. Go to the proxy settings and check those for anything strange. If your not sure, logout of your browser - like chrome - and reset ALL settings.
Hijacked? what do you mean by hijacked?
like is it possible for someone to hack into my pc and put proxy settings on the browser form their computer?
Well if that's so then I'd wanna tell you that I saw some settings there that have been chosen to work for the browser proxy and had a bunch of numbers (that I didn't put but seemed like someone had messed up, I don't remember as may be it me who messed them up lately) that were port addresses and IP addresses but the option that was chosen was to Auto detect the proxy.

And as far as the default PC settings are concerned then I'll check!

Last edited:

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
Sometimes it's easier to do a factory reset than to spend hours or days trying to figure out weird stuff like this. My nephew had a similar problem. Cached pages would work but nothing new would open. Windows reported that all ports were in use. I spent an hour trying to fix it but then gave up and reset it.

Reactions: edcoolio

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
you can always try flushing your DNS cache... open a command prompt and type (ipconfig /flushdns) with no parenthesis. This may help...