My State (Pa) Won't Start Counting Mail-In Ballots until 7am Election Day

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Here in NC I was worried about these type of shenanigans and even though I did request a mail-in ballot I tore it up and tossed it and will be voting in person election day.

Let’s hope you can. In Florida, as in Pennsylvania, we have turn our mail-in ballot to be shredded at the voting site to be able to get a ballot and vote in-person. Not sure of NC rules though.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Here in NC I was worried about these type of shenanigans and even though I did request a mail-in ballot I tore it up and tossed it and will be voting in person election day.
I think most states require you to show up with your full mailer in order to vote in person.

If they won't let you vote, demand a provisional ballot.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I think most states require you to show up with your full mailer in order to vote in person.

If they won't let you vote, demand a provisional ballot.
Colorado doesn't, for some reason. But I've heard our voting system here is one of the best in the nation. (For voters, that is.)

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Exactly what I'm doing here in Pa. It's crucial.

I got my mail-in ballot first. My friends and I all did. Many of them have already mailed it in. Others knew of this dilemma, but are afraid to vote in person because of covid.

It's not nearly the exaggeration it could be to say it's worth the risk of death to me to make sure Trump is voted out ON the day of the election, not that I think I'm gonna' die from voting in person. Which reminds me, people are TERRIBLE at accurate risk assessment.

Get this! You HAVE to bring your unmailed ballot with you to the polls in order to vote!

You can already know that there is a small, but possibly not insignificant percentage of people who will forget to bring their unused mail-in ballot with them.

Meanwhile I believe you can still go to a gun show and get hooked-up with fewer obstacles.

What happens if you never got your ballot and it was lost in the mail?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Colorado doesn't, for some reason. But I've heard our voting system here is one of the best in the nation. (For voters, that is.)

Smooth as silk & rock solid. We didn't change a thing because of the pandemic-

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Is there a rule or something that you have to stop counting votes at 12:01 AM on 11/4?

No. California counts ballots for 14 days after the election. Votes have to be post marked prior to Election Day.

No state has their votes all counts and certified on Election Day. Most take about a week. Some two.

Some republican controlled counties in PA ha r said they will not start counting the early votes until the morning or November 4. Some others will not start counting the til day of counting is done. Only The democratic controlled counties are starting to count at 7am on November 3.

there is no valid legal argument to stop votes from being counted that arrived before or Election Day.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

I got my mail-in ballot first.

... snip ...

Same here. My wife and I both received our mail in ballots, but due to the on going legal concerns here in PA, we're both taking them with us and voting in person on the 3rd. Too much at stake to have my vote invalidated by a Republican power grab.

Reactions: Perknose

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

I got my mail-in ballot first. My friends and I all did. Many of them have already mailed it in. Others knew of this dilemma, but are afraid to vote in person because of covid.

It's not nearly the exaggeration it could be to say it's worth the risk of death to me to make sure Trump is voted out ON the day of the election, not that I think I'm gonna' die from voting in person. Which reminds me, people are TERRIBLE at accurate risk assessment.

Get this! You HAVE to bring your unmailed ballot with you to the polls in order to vote!

You can already know that there is a small, but possibly not insignificant percentage of people who will forget to bring their unused mail-in ballot with them.

Meanwhile I believe you can still go to a gun show and get hooked-up with fewer obstacles.

Seems easier to just use the drop boxes to me. God knows what shenanigans will happen showing up with a mail in day of election. If something is missing you'll vote provisionally.

Like this. Panicking may be worse for screwing you out of your vote.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aegeon

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Seems easier to just use the drop boxes to me. God knows what shenanigans will happen showing up with a mail in day of election. If something is missing you'll vote provisionally.

Drop boxes are sharply limited in PA, one per county iirc. Because Republicans, of course.

• Wow
Reactions: dawp

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Drop boxes are sharply limited in PA, one per county iirc. Because Republicans, of course.
Looooong lines each day around the courthouse, where you go to drop it off in person. Same at all the other county seats around me.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawp

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

There are multiple per county, but not enough really.

Might really suck for the last minute people.

But yes, fking Republicans.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
No. California counts ballots for 14 days after the election. Votes have to be post marked prior to Election Day.

No state has their votes all counts and certified on Election Day. Most take about a week. Some two.

Some republican controlled counties in PA ha r said they will not start counting the early votes until the morning or November 4. Some others will not start counting the til day of counting is done. Only The democratic controlled counties are starting to count at 7am on November 3.

there is no valid legal argument to stop votes from being counted that arrived before or Election Day.
I could see a valid reason if a state didn't make people bring in their absentee ballots to vote in person. That way they could make sure to not count a mailed absentee ballot. But there are other ways of handling that.

I read Oklahoma's law on early vote counting, it is very concerned with not allowing anyone to know the count prior to closing of the polls, but it has some seemingly decent controls for that, which still allow an early count if the county deems it necessary.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Let me get this straight, by law PA can't start counting until Election Day and the fear is they won't finish that day so any votes uncounted will be claimed (through Republican lawsuit) to be invalid? Do I have that right?

If that's the case why doesn't the Secretary of State, who is a Democrat, just instruct staff to start counting the mail-in ballots and not add/count the in-person totals until all mail-ins are counted? That would essentially mean any lawsuit to invalidate uncounted ballots will surely hit mostly in-person ballots, which the Republicans believe will favor them.
The law apparently says that they can’t be counted until Election Day. Democrats attempted to cut a deal with Republicans so they could start prepping them ahead of time but they refused unless Democrats agreed to conditions that would invalidate lots of ballots.

The bad faith is limitless.

Reactions: Aegeon

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Looooong lines each day around the courthouse, where you go to drop it off in person. Same at all the other county seats around me.
Fortunately, the drop box by me (not too far from you, if I recall) has not had significant lines. I took a few days off to help drive folks with transportation limitations to the drop box and things went pretty smoothly. Not sure what the lack of lines implies about turn out, if anything.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Yes, I was being facetious.
In today's political environment one can never be sure. Satire of The Onion, and New Yorker Satire articles have blurred the line between satire and reality.

This is not directed at you, but I have been sorely in error when I think "they can't really be that stupid... can they?", to discover that they are really that stupid.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
In today's political environment one can never be sure. Satire of The Onion, and New Yorker Satire articles have blurred the line between satire and reality.

This is not directed at you, but I have been sorely in error when I think "they can't really be that stupid... can they?", to discover that they are really that stupid.
I feel like you're a mouse and the it you're talking to is a cat. Beware of "playing nice".

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

The guy is not that with it. He is not voting this election, his words in the voting thread, I can only assume because he is unable to comprehend the threat Trumpism is to the fabric of this country.

Reactions: gothuevos

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Fortunately, the drop box by me (not too far from you, if I recall) has not had significant lines. I took a few days off to help drive folks with transportation limitations to the drop box and things went pretty smoothly. Not sure what the lack of lines implies about turn out, if anything.
Do you have to show ID or something at the "drop box?" Or why are there lines at the drop boxes?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
How a government that actually believes in and supports the right to vote handles the problem: Here in CT the law permits election officials to prequalify mail-in ballots starting this weekend. The votes aren't counted yet, but all the pre qualifications are checked. For example, here the voter is required to sign the outside of the envelope containing the ballot. Many town clerks are this weekend sorting out those mistakes, calling the voters and have special lines for voters to come and sign their envelopes.

With COVID now ramping up so rapidly all over the country, those in government that forced this change-over the braying of Idiot In Chief-are the real unsung backbone of the USA, not the Fool or his flag wavers.