My sister just told me she has an addiction...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: wfbberzerker

actually, i'm pretty sure the addiction is emotional. thats why you dont see people with a crazed look in their eyes going "i just need a beer! just one more beer!" instead you see people who drink when they are sad, or upset, or whatever reason, just to forget their problems.

That's not an alchohalic. That's a casual drinker, you sod.
rolleye.gif

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
I think they make some stop-chewing-gum gum now. Instead of chewing actual gum, when you feel a craving coming on, you chew the stop-chewing-gum gum instead. I hear it works real well.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jumpr
Originally posted by: Eli
Seriously, people. Thinking like this is just wrong, there is nothing wrong with her for being addicted to chewing gum, that's ridiculous.

It's probably just a phase. You would have more to worry about if she was addicted to masturbation.
The problem is that she's been chewing gum like this for about two years. By "like this" I mean that when she's not eating, she has more than one piece of gum in her mouth at a time. The only 'good' part is that she always gets sugarless.
Who cares?!?!

She's doing her teeth a favor. Seriously, what is the big deal??? If it were detrimental to her health in any way, then you would have something to worry about.. but it's chewing gum??

There are about 100,000 other things that she could be addicted to that would be far worse, like Chalupas. :p

Originally posted by: rayray2
So alcohol is just an emotional addiction??? :confused:
As far as I know, there are no addictive substances in alcohol, a la nicotine in cigarettes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Uh, alcohol is the addictive substance. :p

actually, i'm pretty sure the addiction is emotional. thats why you dont see people with a crazed look in their eyes going "i just need a beer! just one more beer!" instead you see people who drink when they are sad, or upset, or whatever reason, just to forget their problems.
Yes, I realize this. Whatever the method, it's still the alcohol that is the addictive substance - due to the reality alteration.
You're right, Eli. Alcohol is the addictive substance, just as gum is for my sister. What I mean was, there's nothing in alcohol that makes it addictive. Nicotine is an addictive substance because of its chemical composition, but alcohol is 'addictive' because of its emotion-altering nature. Thus, it's an emotional 'addictor.'

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Gum patches? :D

Or better yet, like those nicotine flavoured gum, she can chew gum flavoured gum!! :D

Originally posted by: nativesunshine
and this is the sister who drank your oj...right?

or am I thinking of a different poster?

um...why do you care? it's her money... and from what I remember about your thread about her stealing your orange juice...as long as she doesn't steal YOUR gum..everything's cool. right?
Yup, same poster, same sister. In reality I couldn't care less whether or not she stops chewing, but since she actually came to me looking for help, I'd like to assist her in getting over this, if I at all can.

But, in terms of urgency or danger to my sister, it's no big deal.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
As far as I know, there are no addictive substances in alcohol, a la nicotine in cigarettes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You've obviously never seen a full-blown alcoholic experiencing DT's while trying to quit cold turkey. They might even say something like "Just one more beer!"

Christ, some of you people live under rocks.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999

Yes, I realize this. Whatever the method, it's still the alcohol that is the addictive substance - due to the reality alteration.
You're right, Eli. Alcohol is the addictive substance, just as gum is for my sister. What I mean was, there's nothing in alcohol that makes it addictive. Nicotine is an addictive substance because of its chemical composition, but alcohol is 'addictive' because of its emotion-altering nature. Thus, it's an emotional 'addictor.'
Yep, we're in agreement here.

But seriously, you're worrying for nothing. If you went to a psychologist and said "My sister is addicted to chewing gum", he would probably laugh you out of his office.

I think we would be laughing at you even if you were saying she's addicted to coffee. The word addiction does not mean "bad", there are healthy addictions.. like working out. The chewing gum is not affecting her health negativly(as I've said, It's good for her teeth).. so there is no problem..

It's not like she would need to go to the methadone clinic if she suddenly ran out of gum. Chill, it's no big deal.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Ahh, she came to you for "help"? Hmm.. Well, I guess that's a bit different.

You should ask her what the problem is. Does she buy gold-leafed gum or something? Why does she feel that she needs help?

You should ask her what the problem is. Does she buy gold-leafed gum or something? Why does she feel that she needs help?
She buys Carefree Koolers gum. I'm not sure why she chews it so much...she has a lot of friends, and she had a boyfriend up 'till a few months ago, but her chewing hasn't increased since then, and they're still friends. She doesnt seem upset over it or anything. I think the main reason she realized she needs help is because she finally realized how rediculous it is to chew 5 pieces of gum at once. Her cheeks bulge out like she's a squirrel harvesting nuts or something.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Chewing too much sugarless gum can cause diarrhea, according to The Lancet, which has published a case report on a British woman who chewed on up to 60 sticks of gum a day. Doctors were baffled when the 32-year-old air stewardess was admitted to a hospital with chronic severe diarrhea and intestinal pain. Her blood, urine, liver, and intestinal tests were all normal. Finally, she happened to offer an important clue: Her heavy "diet" of sugarless gum introduced 75 grams of sorbitol into her body. This sugar substitute is neither digested nor absorbed by the digestive system and has a laxative effect. When she reduced her intake, she recovered.

Text

Originally posted by: Savij
Chewing too much sugarless gum can cause diarrhea, according to The Lancet, which has published a case report on a British woman who chewed on up to 60 sticks of gum a day. Doctors were baffled when the 32-year-old air stewardess was admitted to a hospital with chronic severe diarrhea and intestinal pain. Her blood, urine, liver, and intestinal tests were all normal. Finally, she happened to offer an important clue: Her heavy "diet" of sugarless gum introduced 75 grams of sorbitol into her body. This sugar substitute is neither digested nor absorbed by the digestive system and has a laxative effect. When she reduced her intake, she recovered.

Text
Thanks, I'll show that to her.

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001

She buys Carefree Koolers gum. I'm not sure why she chews it so much...she has a lot of friends, and she had a boyfriend up 'till a few months ago, but her chewing hasn't increased since then, and they're still friends. She doesnt seem upset over it or anything. I think the main reason she realized she needs help is because she finally realized how rediculous it is to chew 5 pieces of gum at once. Her cheeks bulge out like she's a squirrel harvesting nuts or something.

oh so many dirty comments possible. No really try the weaning thing. I mean if she wants help she's gotta be willing to work with you. Otherwise tell her "Sorry you're on your own".

-Ed

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
Unless it's negatively affecting her health, her pocketbook or her social life, then there's nothing to worry about. It's not compulsive behavior unless she feels anxious when she has to go without the gum.

Originally posted by: stormbv
Unless it's negatively affecting her health, her pocketbook or her social life, then there's nothing to worry about. It's not compulsive behavior unless she feels anxious when she has to go without the gum.
She gets REALLY uneasy when she has to go without gum. She'll get nervous and she'll make excuses to get out of the house in order to get some more gum. It's a full-blown addiction; not some dinky little "I like gum" thing.

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: stormbv
She gets REALLY uneasy when she has to go without gum. She'll get nervous and she'll make excuses to get out of the house in order to get some more gum. It's a full-blown addiction; not some dinky little "I like gum" thing.

Here's a link to a book that really helped me out a lot. It's written for people with OCD, but it can be applied to other compulsive behaviors, like chewing gum, smoking, compulsive gambling, etc. It's a very practical book, it could probably help her. Linky link

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

Harvesting nuts, eh?

Hmmm...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
yyou get your panties in a twist when some OJ is gone, and then your sister gets her panties in a twist when her gum is gone. :confused:

SammyBoy

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Lock her in her gum-free bedroom and after a few hours unleash a dead baby to walk on the ceiling and freak her out. That should do it. Yep.