My sister just told me she has an addiction...

...to gum.

It sounds funny, but just like alcohol, it's an emotional addiction, as there's nothing addictive about gum itself.

I've known that she had a 'problem' for a while. She always gives the excuse that she's going to the gas station, but I know she's going to buy gum. When she came back from the gas station tonight, she came to me and told me she needs help with her gum problem.

I asked her how many pieces she had in her mouth, and she said five. FIVE PIECES AT ONCE. :Q

How can I help her get over her addiction? It's a real problem, as she says she spends about $10/week on gum alone. When she used to live with a roommate, she asked her roommate to hide her gum, but the next day she tore her roommate's room apart looking for where her gum was hidden.

How can I stop my sister from buying gum? She has health insurance; is it worth it or viable for her to go to a psychiatrist for her dependency? I wish this was a joke, but it's not - so if the replies could be serious (besides a little joking around, of course:)), I'd really appreciate it.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh the humanity!

You're serious you say? You've got to be joking.

If you would step back and look at the big picture, most people are addicted to MANY things. Chewing gum is good for your teeth. It makes you salivate, and your saliva is what rebuilds your teeth.

She doesen't need to see a psychiatrist for christ's sake. We aren't talking about heroin here.. or even Mt. Dew.

Originally posted by: rayray2
So alcohol is just an emotional addiction??? :confused:
As far as I know, there are no addictive substances in alcohol, a la nicotine in cigarettes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

xEDIT409

Banned
May 17, 2003
Whoa... don't know what to say.

It's not that bad of an addiction. Just let her goto Sams Club or something and buy gum in bulk... or have her cut down slowly...

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
...to gum.

It sounds funny, but just like alcohol, it's an emotional addiction, as there's nothing addictive about gum itself.

I've known that she had a 'problem' for a while. She always gives the excuse that she's going to the gas station, but I know she's going to buy gum. When she came back from the gas station tonight, she came to me and told me she needs help with her gum problem.

I asked her how many pieces she had in her mouth, and she said five. FIVE PIECES AT ONCE. :Q

How can I help her get over her addiction? It's a real problem, as she says she spends about $10/week on gum alone. When she used to live with a roommate, she asked her roommate to hide her gum, but the next day she tore her roommate's room apart looking for where her gum was hidden.

How can I stop my sister from buying gum? She has health insurance; is it worth it or viable for her to go to a psychiatrist for her dependency? I wish this was a joke, but it's not - so if the replies could be serious (besides a little joking around, of course:)), I'd really appreciate it.

wean her off...tell her to have 4 pieces of gum in her mouth at once instead of 5...after a while...go to 3...2...1...etc.

-Ed

Dec 28, 2001
So she has developed enough muscles in her mouth to chew gum after gum after gum?

. . . can I have her phone #? :D:D:D

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
how old is she
sound slike a 14-17 year old; fairly common girl deal.

does she have a boyfriend?

maybe if she does/did he could help keep her busy yacking, Doh,

she needs her own telephone,LOL ;)

i guess buy some brand of yucky gum,that she doesn't like?

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
I guess chewing gum could be a compulsive behavior...tell her to start smoking.

Kidding...she could cut down slowly and if she finds herself wanting gum she could chew on something else. It's all about finding something to take your mind off of your urge for the things you crave.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
As far as I know, there are no addictive substances in alcohol, a la nicotine in cigarettes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Uh, alcohol is the addictive substance. :p

Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
how old is she

Actually...she's 23. I don't know what to do, because I know if I try to wean her off, she'll just sneak around me and chew gum anyway. Argh...:(

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Seriously, people. Thinking like this is just wrong, there is nothing wrong with her for being addicted to chewing gum, that's ridiculous.

It's probably just a phase. You would have more to worry about if she was addicted to masturbation.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
pssst......
Hey man........
Want some Double Bubble?

It's reallly good!

I'm not a psychologist, but compulsive behavior can lead to bad habits. I'm not sure what the clinical definition is for addiction vs compulsions, but if it negativly affects her life, ie too long of a break going out to cop , ignoring regular routines in an effort to satisfy the craving, it may need real intervention.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
how old is she

Actually...she's 23. I don't know what to do, because I know if I try to wean her off, she'll just sneak around me and chew gum anyway. Argh...:(
Oh for Christ's sake. Stop, now. You have got to have some more important things to worry about.

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli

actually, i'm pretty sure the addiction is emotional. thats why you dont see people with a crazed look in their eyes going "i just need a beer! just one more beer!" instead you see people who drink when they are sad, or upset, or whatever reason, just to forget their problems.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Wow, you actually don't believe there is an addictive substance in alcohol?

Seriously, people. Thinking like this is just wrong, there is nothing wrong with her for being addicted to chewing gum, that's ridiculous.

It's probably just a phase. You would have more to worry about if she was addicted to masturbation.
The problem is that she's been chewing gum like this for about two years. By "like this" I mean that when she's not eating, she has more than one piece of gum in her mouth at a time. The only 'good' part is that she always gets sugarless.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Tell her to find other hobbies to keep her busy and away from the rubber...

Meth....crack dope..prostituion...Be creative.....whore/meth dealer:p

have fun with it.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: wfbberzerker

actually, i'm pretty sure the addiction is emotional. thats why you dont see people with a crazed look in their eyes going "i just need a beer! just one more beer!" instead you see people who drink when they are sad, or upset, or whatever reason, just to forget their problems.
Yes, I realize this. Whatever the method, it's still the alcohol that is the addictive substance - due to the reality alteration.

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
and this is the sister who drank your oj...right?

or am I thinking of a different poster?

um...why do you care? it's her money... and from what I remember about your thread about her stealing your orange juice...as long as she doesn't steal YOUR gum..everything's cool. right?