My security cam system only has LAN and my home only has WIFI

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012
when i am connected to the extender network
Screenshot_2019-04-13-14-25-39.jpg

it works flawelesly
Screenshot_2019-04-13-14-22-45.jpg

but has no purpose if i need to be in the same nework

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
but htere is a problem i have notice something, in the wifi network created by the extender, soyy is not gisele is Aurora, in the created by the extnder which is aurora_ext, if i rename to the same original network, then no device can connect to aurora, i receive no message but i suspect then it enter in conflict two networks with thr same name, thats why i didnt renamed again o the original wifi host network

Ok, aside from that specific setting, ultimately, it should be one network. In other words, clients connected to the main wifi router should be able to talk to clients on off the tplink. So if that isn't happening, then it's probably config on the tplink causing problem

When you're connected to the main wifi router, can you ping 192.168.1.137 (tplink IP), or 192.168.1.101 (NVR)?

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012
Ok, aside from that specific setting, ultimately, it should be one network. In other words, clients connected to the main wifi router should be able to talk to clients on off the tplink. So if that isn't happening, then it's probably config on the tplink causing problem

When you're connected to the main wifi router, can you ping 192.168.1.137 (tplink IP), or 192.168.1.101 (NVR)?
i ll be back in 20 minutes i am starving lol

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012

how do i "ping"? do that?

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012
but the NVR is set to obtain ip automatically, how do i know its IP?

anyway, if i ping those ip i get this:

C:\Users\Carlos>ping 192.168.1.137

Pinging 192.168.1.137 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.170: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.137:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

C:\Users\Carlos>

and

C:\Users\Carlos>ping 192.168.1.101

Pinging 192.168.1.101 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.101:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

C:\Users\Carlos>

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You know their IP because you posted pictures of them earlier: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...me-only-has-wifi.2562728/page-2#post-39792303

You'll have to check the main wifi router GUI again and see if anything is blocked.

Check the config on the router, make sure you have the SSID password right

Also check the client list and see if the TPLink shows up, or the NVR

it sounds like the TPLink isn't really communicating with the main wifi router for some reason.

When in doubt, check for firmware upgrades for the TP Link, and / or reset up the TP Link device

Edit: Also, something I didn't notice previously, in the link with your pictures...the NVR DNS should not be 192.168.0.254. If the main router is 192.168.1.1, that's what it should be

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Sorry, I have to pitch back in. The ICMP ping function could have been turned off or disabled on the device, getting ping response really does not solve anything. As long as browser /or app can reach the IP it does not matter. I don't believe that TP-Link is causing problem.

I missed that DNS server(s) settings. You can set it 192.168.1.1 or any public DNS servers like
1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 (Cloudfare)
8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 (Google)
4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6 (Level 3)

But actually it only matters if you are using DDNS and viewing from outside.

What's the APP you are using to view the videos? What the setup in the gear icon on your APP on the upper right corner?

You definitely need to configure something there (likely internal IP for security camera or DDNS name that's reachable externally) if you want to view the video remotely.

And re-read my #40 post and you will be fine.

==

Some video about DDNS and IP camera

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ddns+ip+cam

==

Also when you are testing, turn off one of your phone's WiFi or Data, do not turn on both! It causes trouble and you don't know which one you are using.

WiFi connection for internal LAN testing. Wireless Data by ISP for external testing.

Last edited:

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012

Yeah, i know, but they are set to automatically obtain an ip address, therefore the ip adress below is gray out, meaning (i guess) its the ip in case i choose to manually set, or, even being automatically, is the displayed ip adress in the manual field the actual ip address?

You'll have to check the main wifi router GUI again and see if anything is blocked.

with "main Wifi router" you mean, the modem, right?
DSCN7577.jpg

Check the config on the router, make sure you have the SSID password right
yes, all password are the same and right

Also check the client list and see if the TPLink shows up, or the NVR

no, it does not shows the NVR, although, the NVR is connected and the NVR shows that it has a good connection, and i CAN access to it (form my mobile phone) which is listed in the client list

it sounds like the TPLink isn't really communicating with the main wifi router for some reason.

no, the tp link is fully connected to the main wifi, in fact, if not because the nvr thing, and that it can not have the same network name due conflict, the extender is working fine, any device i connect to it, via aurora_ext or via lan cable works.

the only two problems i am seeing here is that the extender is not really extending the wifi, but creating an extra wifi network.

When in doubt, check for firmware upgrades for the TP Link, and / or reset up the TP Link device

yes, i did a firmware update an hour ago, and if the tp is at default settings.

him self created the Aurora_ext network

Attachments

• 1555187718790.jpeg
    1555187718790.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012
hi, i have news, i was able to make one network, and the extender to EXTEND the network instead creating a new one, the problem was with my modem, there was a option calle AP isolation, i disabled it and now there is only one network which work,
Now the second part, i switched my phone to my mobile data, to see if i can acess from utside, and lo luck

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Good job finding that!

So now you should be able the ping between clients connected to each WAP, and the phone app can see the NVR while connected to main wifi.

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012
Good job finding that!

So now you should be able the ping between clients connected to each WAP, and the phone app can see the NVR while connected to main wifi.
i havent tred the ping

b, now all is within the same network, wired and wireles, but the problem still persist, i cant see the nvr from outside

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
i havent tred the ping

b, now all is within the same network, wired and wireles, but the problem still persist, i cant see the nvr from outside

Ok, if the LAN is working (pinging fine now) then you can move on to your next problem, accessing the NVR from outside the network.

Some items here:

1. In the network config screen on the NVR (that you posted), you see these ports:

Web: 80
Server: 5000
Mobile: 5001

Those are potentially ports you may have to enable in the main router/modems port forwarding section.

Port forwarding will take traffic hitting your WAN IP on a port, and forward that request to whatever IP and port you tell it to.

Port forwarding doesn't have to be synchronized (on every router I've touched). In other words, here's an example for port 5000

you can say when you see a request on the WAN + port 10,000, the. Forward that request to the NVR LAN IP on port 5000

You will need to check the router/modem GUI for these advanced options.

You will need to check the NVR manual for exactly what's needed

And some trial and error may be required.

So that's port forwarding short and sweet.

2. Port forwarding relies on the target in in your LAN to have the same IP evertytime. So I suggest you either manually set an IP or use static DHCP to keep the ip address for the NVR always the same

3. The DDNS tab on the NVR network config.

DDNS is a good idea because the mobile ISP giving out an IP to you modem will not guarantee the same IP all the time.

DDNS allows a service inside your LAN(possibly in the tab on the NVR) to connect to an external DDNS service and maintain hostnames pointed to your IP(refreshed regularly by the service in your LAN.

This may sound confusing at first, but start at the DDNS and see what it says. Pick a supported service and go from there.

Feel free to post a picture of the DDNS tab from the NVR.

Last edited:

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012
hi, sorry for the long time

i can not see port forwarding options neither in my modem nor the extender
1555657774929.jpeg

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It's probably under advanced settings

and you shouldn't need to change anything on the extender

Last edited:

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012
Hi,
no, this is all i have within advance settings
Clip_5.jpg

Attachments

• 1555689470454.jpeg
    1555689470454.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 2
  • 1555689495866.jpeg
    1555689495866.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 2

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Ok, well, if the hotspot doesn't allow port forwarding, then you might be at a point where you can't proceed. Just keep digging around for it, if it's not there then you may have to get a hotspot with more functions.

Also, depending on what the NVR can do, you may succeed to syncing it to an account with the manufacturer.

For example, I use Nest thermostats, they get registered to my nest account. I use my phone and the Nest app to manage them, I don't need to be at home to see my thermostats. Maybe the NVR manufacturer allows something similar?

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012
since teenager i have been traumatized ith all regarding networking for me ther is just one word, unreliable, and i know it should not be like that (neither me thinking that way), for example, today y had a little little time to deal with it, but when i try to enter to the repeater to dig in its configurations, i can not!, i dont know what happens, it just does not enter to the config, i plug the network cable from he rpeater to the laptop and i got the yellow triangle with exclamation, and nothing else, i can not acess to the repeater... simple like that, that only feed my perception i have with all regarding networking

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012
i went to my friends house who has exactly the same NVR system, but the internet in his home is a regular modem, the NVR is connected to the modem via cable and it work flaweslesly... no configuration, just plug, click test in the NVR menu and wait for OK message and thats it

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012
the TP link repeater does not connect to any wifi, i think it is damaged, that just add points to my hate to everything networking related

FlyerX

Sep 5, 2012
also, when i restart the NVR, i get the message in one of the corner of the screen, IP conflict

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I will say this about Networking Configuration issues. Unlike other aspects of computing, Networking Config is very unforgiving. If you don't have it pretty-much right on correct, it just doesn't work. Certainly, there are some trouble-shooting steps, but as far as architecting networks, even mildly-complex SOHO setups, you need to know what you are doing, which is knowing more than just enough to be dangerous to router configurations.

IOW, you need an over-view undertanding of what your networking devices can do, and what sort of configuration you want them in, you can't just really "fuzz out" the configuration through trial-and-error, the same way that you might learn how to use a software application.

I don't claim to know it all, when it comes to networks, I have quite a lot left to learn (well, there's ALWAYS MORE to learn), but I do the best that I know how. (Most SOHO routers aren't horribly complex, and I'm handy and familiar with features of DD-WRT, Tomato, and Advanced Tomato, my newest experimental firmware experience.)

Edit: I suggest, that in order to access the repeater's config menus, that you need to manually go into your network adapter properties, into IPv4 Properties, and set a manual static IP and subnet, in the same range as the repeater's IP address, first, before trying to access it.

Edit: Reason why is, most repeater-type configs, get their IP addresses for the device and devices wirelessly connected to the repeater, from the DHCP server that the repeater is connected to wirelessly as a client / bridge, and if it can't connect (wifi settings wrong, wrong password, wrong channel, etc.), then it can't pull an IP from DHCP, to hand out to the devices plugged into it. That's why you should set a static IP, on the repeater itself, and then on the client device used to access the repeater FOR CONFIGURATION PURPOSES. During actual practice, when the repeater link is up, and working properly, then client(s) should be able to be set to DHCP / Dynamic IP, and still pull an IP from the upstream DHCP server on the primary router, and communicate on that subnet.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
i went to my friends house who has exactly the same NVR system, but the internet in his home is a regular modem, the NVR is connected to the modem via cable and it work flaweslesly... no configuration, just plug, click test in the NVR menu and wait for OK message and thats it

Yea, and his NVR is connected to the internet without any protection as well.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
the TP link repeater does not connect to any wifi, i think it is damaged, that just add points to my hate to everything networking related

also, when i restart the NVR, i get the message in one of the corner of the screen, IP conflict

Then you're back to verifying the network one piece at a time. Start with the main WiFi device, verify connection, and move onto the tplink.

IP conflict should be straightforward to figure out. Either you set an IP static on a device, but didn't use an IP out of the DHCP range or the tplink is handing out IPs.

The overall premise of this thread should be that you're accepting the challenge, and using our advice to build a basic understanding to perform problem determination for the network. You're doing well overall, just use the tools you have. Get a piece of paper, draw out the network, start writing config down. How it should be versus what you're finding when having problems

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think it's because you are using a 4G hotspot instead of a 4G router. Hotspots are meant for mobile deployment so they don't tend to have full router functionality such as port forwarding.