Question My PSU makes this weird noise

Autonomous

Jan 6, 2019
Hi, I'm new here and I wanted to ask about a possible fault in my PSU.

I used an air blower to clean it last month (I now know that was a mistake).
Since then, it's been making this weird noise. At first it was just after booting and then it would be mostly silent until I shut down and restart. Now, it got more frequent and annoying.

It didn't sound alarming at first because is sounded kinda soft and I figured that the air blower messed with the fan (like it did with another fan in my case).
I recorded it with my phone today and after increasing the volume I realized it's a static electricity noise and got really worried.

This is a clip recorded in idle operation: https://clyp.it/pp3rjap5#
It gets like this more and more often during the day. Sitting at my desk, it sounded soft, like the fan was lightly brushing against something.

This is a clip recorded during boot (I didn't hear this noise sitting at my desk): https://clyp.it/rgyz1su1

Both clips were recorded behind the case right next to the ventilation vents.

The PSU is a 6-year-old Thermaltake LT-450NL2NL.

What should I do?

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
6 years is a pretty decent run and it never hurts to upgrade. I'd also opt to replace it; 500w units are very affordable.

As a side note using compressed air to clean a power supply is fine, unless the pressure is much too high.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
When using compressed air to clean a heat sink or power supply or other device with a cooling fan, you can easily overspeed the fan with the compressed air stream. It's best to find some way to hold the fan still while using compressed air near it.

OsmaniMalik

Jan 11, 2019
@LTC8K6

I contacted Corsair and they said there should be no sound from PSU, and they asked that return that PSU to us.
Today in morning I checked each component of PC to figure out from which components that noise is coming out, I plugged out many components including hard drive. And I noticed that the nose were coming from CPU fan:
aaac.jpg
First I noticed that its from PSU, but my mistake.