Question My new system?

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Current system is approaching 10 years old. Decided to do a new system.

System will not be for gaming or any heavy use. Normal Office apps. I do run SQL and VS, when needed, to maintain a web site hosted on GoDaddy.

My only concern with this new build is with the M.2 drives. I have never used them before. My proposed mobo supports 4 of them. I will probably use 4. My concern is heat. It appears the drives are mounted on top of each other. And I see these types of drives with heat sinks. How hot are these puppies going to get?

67EC0A77-2615-45D6-9D82-3EAD305E9667.jpeg

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
My drives idle anywhere between 30_45 and under load can get quite toasty. I don't use heat sinks but, use lots of fans to keep things chilly.

I use a cheap air cooler $45 and put dual fans on it from arctic combined with a graphite pad and idle on the low 20's and max 65 under full load with a 12700k.

If you're not packing in a space heater GPU inside the case you can save some money and skip the liquid cooler.

I have a total of 8 fans including the cooler and never an issue with temps as a 24/7 box.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
DDR versions have to match. They aren't swappable due to the notches in the ram.

If you post the PCPartPicker link we can fix issues and make other suggestions easier.

The other thing is picking a case to make sure things fit. You could go small, medium, or ATX depending on the board you choose. The board depends on how many drives you want and other features you may want.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
My current case is huge. No problem on space. Along with the 4 new M.2 drives I will have my 4 current SSDs. Boot drive will be one of the M.2.

DDR versions have to match. They aren't swappable due to the notches in the ram.

If you post the PCPartPicker link we can fix issues and make other suggestions easier.

The other thing is picking a case to make sure things fit. You could go small, medium, or ATX depending on the board you choose. The board depends on how many drives you want and other features you may want.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
A 13900k for office apps? An SFX power supply with an ATX board? A z690 at that? That’s… interesting.
I agree. A 13400 is more than enough to run office. If you want to splurge maybe a 13600K. But there is ZERO need for a 13900K or an 850W PSU for this build.

Jul 27, 2020
Normal Office apps. I do run SQL and VS, when needed, to maintain a web site hosted on GoDaddy.
SQL is helped by Optane. Get the 960GB 905P from Newegg. You will enjoy the random write performance and the good endurance of the drive.

Why not get the 7950X3D? Development workloads may benefit from the cache.

Jul 27, 2020
The MSI AIO isn't a good deal. They have quality control issues from what I hear. Better would be the Deepcool LS720.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Not running SQL full time. Just when I need to add a few new items to the database. No where near a big workload.

SQL is helped by Optane. Get the 960GB 905P from Newegg. You will enjoy the random write performance and the good endurance of the drive.

Why not get the 7950X3D? Development workloads may benefit from the cache.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Don’t understand the z690 comment.
While 600 series chipsets are compatible with 13th gen cpu, usually they require an updated bios. You can hope that the one you buy comes with the update, but if not, then you better make sure that the mob can be flashed without a cpu. Otherwise you would need to buy or borrow a 12th gen cpu.

Safe bet is to either buy a 12 gen cpu, or a 700 series motherboard.

Also, why not just get something small and energy efficient like a NUC? Doesn’t sound like you need much power at all. I still use a Surface Book 2 and it runs Office just fine.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
NUC don’t offer storage option I need. I like having multiple drives.

While 600 series chipsets are compatible with 13th gen cpu, usually they require an updated bios. You can hope that the one you buy comes with the update, but if not, then you better make sure that the mob can be flashed without a cpu. Otherwise you would need to buy or borrow a 12th gen cpu.

Safe bet is to either buy a 12 gen cpu, or a 700 series motherboard.

Also, why not just get something small and energy efficient like a NUC? Doesn’t sound like you need much power at all. I still use a Surface Book 2 and it runs Office just fine.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
PCPartPicker does not show DDR4 sticks. I guess I could go to a 700 series mobo but the Z690 I picked has 4 M.2 slots. Only one I found with a quick search.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
PCPartPicker does not show DDR4 sticks. I guess I could go to a 700 series mobo but the Z690 I picked has 4 M.2 slots. Only one I found with a quick search.

That motherboard uses DDR5...probably why PCP doesn't show it as an option.

If you have DDR4 RAM that you want to use, there are plenty of options.
I just built an i5-13600K rig with the MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 so I could re-use the RAM I already had.
As was already mentioned, the 600 series WILL support the intel 13th gen ..but most will require a BIOS update. Many boards come with some type of "BIOS flash" by whatever name that will allow you to update the BIOS before you install CPU or RAM

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
any NUC with eSata port?
You can get NUCs with thunderbolt ports, but even usb 3.1 is fast enough for storage. I mean, nothing you describe sounds like it needs the kind of storage or throughput of multiple NVME drives. Even a NAS running off a gigabit ethernet network is fast enough for Office type apps. Just stick a 4tb NVME drive as your primary drive, and have the rest as external storage, and you should be good to go.

But hey, it's your money. If you want to run Word on a 13900K, go for it. After all, some people buy a full size pickup to go grocery shopping.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
PCPartPicker has no warnings about this config so I am happy with it. :)
If the single fan liquid cooler does not cut it I will get a dual fan system. My i7-4820K system runs very cool with a much older single fan liquid cooler. As mentioned the new system will not be really taxed.

A1AC3B6C-B8BC-426F-8531-F4D146B6B22F.jpeg

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
My i7-4820K
Apples to Oranges.

8X more cores = more heat // make sure you have a good level connection between the IHS / cooler plate

1677969901700.png

Though there's a LOT of hype regarding thermals on the ADL/RPL CPUs pushing people to get LC setups when they're not needed in 99% of the builds. The only time to really consider LC is if you're using a confined case w/ crap ventilation, a sooped up GPU that acts like a space heater, or if you just want to spend more money. If you're going to LC a high end system that will be gaming 24/7 then you should LC both the CPU/GPU as they heat soak each other in the same case because the blower fans on the GPU just leak air to the CPU.

Even with the LC I still recommend using the Graphite Pad instead of messing around with Paste because you will end up pulling the cooler after pasting it to rearrange things and it just makes things simpler to deal with.

As to 13900K vs 13700K and what you're proposing doing with it.... the 700K makes more sense financially as you don't gain much going up to the 900K other than a dent in your wallet that could be used for fans / case / cable management.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
In related news:

Man buys Lamborghini to take kid to school.
Man buys custom Scotty Cameron putter to play putt putt.
Woman renovates kitchen to order door dash everyday.

Seriously, this is so overkill for the task. Don't worry about the cooler, you could cool the 13900K with a passive heatsink since it will be idle all the time.

Reactions: Tech Junky

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Naw. If I went to liquid nitrogen cooling then your examples would hold true. :)

In related news:

Man buys Lamborghini to take kid to school.
Man buys custom Scotty Cameron putter to play putt putt.
Woman renovates kitchen to order door dash everyday.

Seriously, this is so overkill for the task. Don't worry about the cooler, you could cool the 13900K with a passive heatsink since it will be idle all the time.