My mother's house really stinks

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
They never clean, ever, and their house has a very sour disgusting smell to it.
It's hard to describe the smell, but it permeates everything.
I have been there for a few days, I moved in to save money on rent when I go back to college very soon, and the smell is just getting to me. I dont think I will stay until college starts.
I tryed everything I could think of.
Lysol Antibacterial Spray, kills 99.9% of odor causing bacteria. No good. Febreeze Microbial, no good, candles, no good. Yes it smells better, but the smell is still right there with it.
I was thinking an air purifier, but I dont know if that would work in this situation.

I appreciate their help, I just need to know how to get the smell out of the room I am renting from them.

Update: Air Purifier did not seem to work. Been on since yesterday afternoon. Smells just as bad. I can smell the house all over my clothes.
I wonder if I should live in my car.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Mike
*tried*

Find the cause of the smell and eliminate it. The house can't just smell for no reason.

It's probably a mix of mold, and pet odors.
I cannot fix the mold. Not my house and I dont have the money.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
*tried*

Find the cause of the smell and eliminate it. The house can't just smell for no reason.

If it's mold, the air could be potentially dangerous and cause you or your parents to get sick. Mold can be very difficult to remove without professional help.

Dec 4, 2002
*tried*

Ok then, we're just trying to make it not smell in your room? Let the rest of the house fend for itself?

You could try an air purifier in combination with candles/spray? Make sure none of the family pets go in your room.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Wear a hazmat suit around the house? They'll get the idea, and in the meantime you won't die of the plague that's lurking in the dark corners.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
*tried*

Ok then, we're just trying to make it not smell in your room? Let the rest of the house fend for itself?

You could try an air purifier in combination with candles/spray? Make sure none of the family pets go in your room.

Basically. I cannot save the house.
I just want to save the room I use.
I opened the windows when I moved in.
I can almost promise you the windows have never been opened in that room since the day they moved in four years ago.
I am gonna buy a little Air Purifier when I get off work.

I like This One

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
why are they such slobs thats digusting

Because they are lazy and old.
Its a very nice house. It's very big and on a good piece of land, but you would cringe if you walked in. It's disgusting.
Their pets crap on the carpet, and they leave it.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
why are they such slobs thats digusting

Because they are lazy and old.
Its a very nice house. It's very big and on a good piece of land, but you would cringe if you walked in. It's disgusting.
Their pets crap on the carpet, and they leave it.

its called a cleaning lady....they come in once a week and make everything shine. :roll:

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
my friends girlfriends parents house smells real funky like that... its rancid (wet moldy smell)...

what sucks even more... was that over the weekend i helped my friend move said girlfriend into his townhome and now his townhome smells like his girlfriends parents house... (they brought a couch, bed, tv, and some other stuff)...

too combat this... i avoid going over...

edit... you could try placing vinegar in small cups scattered all around out the house...

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Our house smelled funny for a while, even though it was clean. Turned out we had a small leak in our roof and the inside of the walls was getting wet. Once we got that fixed and it dried out, all our problems were fixed.

Wapp

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Try getting a couple of those baking soda cartons. Put one in each corner of your room.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: EngenZerO
my friends girlfriends parents house smells real funky like that... its rancid (wet moldy smell)...

what sucks even more... was that over the weekend i helped my friend move said girlfriend into his townhome and now his townhome smells like his girlfriends parents house... (they brought a couch, bed, tv, and some other stuff)...

edit... you could try placing vinegar in small cups scattered all around out the house...

What will that do? The vinegar?

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
Lyson Neutra-Air is way better than Oust or any of those other products, try it.

They make this stuff called Gonzo Odor-Eliminator. it's a bag (six inches square) of volcanic rock pieces that you hang up. I use it in my teen-aged son's room, it actually works pretty well. Home Depot sells it, also Bed Bath and Beyond-type places.

If it really is mold, do not try to get rid of it with bleach - bleach feeds a lot of molds. While you're at home depot, look for products that do kill mold. There is paint that can cover mold, if you have visible mold.

Clear out as much stuff as you possibly can. Do you have carpet? Pull it up and get rid of it. Lots of disgusting stuff in carpet.

From my previous life as a rock musician, incense covers up the most amazing smells. Lots of incense. Mix the incense brands and flavors for maximum power. Way better than scented candles. Of course, YOU will end up smelling like incense. Relax, the ladies like it. They do make incense in scents like English Leather (or cinnamon), in case you work in a bank or something.

Good luck.

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by: EngenZerO

What will that do? The vinegar?

vinegar is known to get certain odors out... i have used to remove smoke odor... it could be worth a shot.

also, i suggest sprinkling baking soda on the carpet and letting it sit for a couple of days then vacumning. that may help as well.

also... try changing your air conditioning filter.

edit... note this is for smell... with mold you gotta find it and destroy it.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Wapp
Try getting a couple of those baking soda cartons. Put one in each corner of your room.

I think the smell is in the carpet. Maybe if I dumped the baking soda on the carpet. But the vent just brings more and more sour smelling air into the room.

Dec 4, 2002

I think the smell is in the carpet. Maybe if I dumped the baking soda on the carpet. But the vent just brings more and more sour smelling air into the room.

close the vent

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
I heard that leave out a good portion of coffee grounds out that will take care of a moldy/wet smell.

But since you say they are slobs and there is pet crap on the floor, coffee might not take care of the problem.

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
Sounds to me like social workers or prison would be a good cure, especially for the neglect of the animals in regards to them leaving pet crap on the floor.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: badmouse
Lyson Neutra-Air is way better than Oust or any of those other products, try it.

They make this stuff called Gonzo Odor-Eliminator. it's a bag (six inches square) of volcanic rock pieces that you hang up. I use it in my teen-aged son's room, it actually works pretty well. Home Depot sells it, also Bed Bath and Beyond-type places.

If it really is mold, do not try to get rid of it with bleach - bleach feeds a lot of molds. While you're at home depot, look for products that do kill mold. There is paint that can cover mold, if you have visible mold.

Clear out as much stuff as you possibly can. Do you have carpet? Pull it up and get rid of it. Lots of disgusting stuff in carpet.

From my previous life as a rock musician, incense covers up the most amazing smells. Lots of incense. Mix the incense brands and flavors for maximum power. Way better than scented candles. Of course, YOU will end up smelling like incense. Relax, the ladies like it. They do make incense in scents like English Leather (or cinnamon), in case you work in a bank or something.

Good luck.

It's not my house. I cannot rip up or remove anything. I just want to keep the smell out of my room and clothes. The rest can go to hell.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003

close the vent

Today's high is 104 degrees.