My journey seeking to document dystopian NYC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
NYC does have constraints due "land" that keeps its population in check.
There is only so much real estate to build housing.
While this is a true statement, it isn't a true reason for NYC's housing crunch. That's more due to the recalcitrant NIMBYism that severely inhibits new construction for ::insert arbitrary reasons::.

Reactions: K1052

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Burglary and robbery is down but violent assaults and homicides are on the rise. The city recorded over 200 shootings for the month of August compared to 90 last year.

You’re not going to find hellscape in the gentrified adult playgrounds along the water and main squares. The upper east side and parts of Brooklyn are currently witnessing a very deadly summer.

maps.nyc.gov/crime/

If NYC, or parts of it, are an urban "hellscape" this year, then it was an apocalyptic nightmare every single year between 1970 and 2000.

Every time there's a year over year increase in murders in this city or that, the political right tries make a huge deal out of it. You might want to look at the historical murder rate in NYC. There were 8x the number of murders in 1990 as there have been so far this year. Similar for 1991, 1992, etc. 2245 murders in 1990 vs. 311 in 2019.

Violent crime has plummeted these past 30 years across the country. I can guaranty you that by year's end total murder in NYC will be less than 80% of the years between 1990 and now. The idea that a single year over year spike is anything other than statistical noise is a lie of Trump and the political right meant to dupe people who are too lazy or dumb to look at historical data.

You are either an active supporter of this lie or a useful idiot.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
If NYC, or parts of it, are an urban "hellscape" this year, then it was an apocalyptic nightmare every single year between 1970 and 2000.

Every time there's a year over year increase in murders in this city or that, the political right tries make a huge deal out of it. You might want to look at the historical murder rate in NYC. There were 8x the number of murders in 1990 as there have been so far this year. Similar for 1991, 1992, etc. 2245 murders in 1990 vs. 311 in 2019.

Violent crime has plummeted these past 30 years across the country. I can guaranty you that by year's end total murder in NYC will be less than 80% of the years between 1990 and now. The idea that a single year over year spike is anything other than statistical noise is a lie of Trump and the political right meant to dupe people who are too lazy or dumb to look at historical data.

Complicating matters is that when you go back to historical data...some of its BS
It was a great idea that has been corrupted by human nature. The Compstat program that made NYPD commanders accountable for controlling crime has degenerated into a situation where the police leadership presses subordinates to keep numbers low by any means necessary. The department’s middle managers will do anything to avoid being dragged onto the carpet at the weekly Compstat meetings…

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Complicating matters is that when you go back to historical data...some of its BS

No time to read a massive PDF. If there is a conspiracy to promote fake, low murder numbers in NYC, then the same conspiracy is all over the country. The plummeting murder rate since 1990 isn't confined to NYC.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

I acknowledged the downward trend overall. The 90s was the last time we had a national conversation on race. There was a socio economic and crime spike correlation to those events as well.

There are of course more explanations than the two you listed.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I acknowledged the downward trend overall. The 90s was the last time we had a national conversation on race. There was a socio economic and crime spike correlation to those events as well.

There are of course more explanations than the two you listed.

If you're talking about the Rodney King riots, those occurred in 1992. Both nationally and in NYC, 1992 saw fewer murders than 1991, which in turn had fewer murders than 1990.

I see no historic correlation between murder rates and "national conversations on race." None whatsoever. If you want to make that argument, you need to dig into the numbers and show me. Right now it sounds an awful lot you have a race based theory and you are ignoring the actual data in order to keep promoting that theory.

Go look at the year over year murder stats I linked and tell me where these correlations are please.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If you're talking about the Rodney King riots, those occurred in 1992. Both nationally and in NYC, 1992 saw fewer murders than 1991, which in turn had fewer murders than 1990.

I see no historic correlation between murder rates and "national conversations on race." None whatsoever. If you want to make that argument, you need to dig into the numbers and show me. Right now it sounds an awful lot you have a race based theory and you are ignoring the actual data in order to keep promoting that theory.
Some people will believe what they see but, in my opinion most see what they believe and can't see anything else.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Burglary and robbery is down but violent assaults and homicides are on the rise. The city recorded over 200 shootings for the month of August compared to 90 last year.

So . . . what you're saying is that we need more comprehensive gun control laws?

Welcome aboard the social sanity train, comrade! :p

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
While this is a true statement, it isn't a true reason for NYC's housing crunch. That's more due to the recalcitrant NIMBYism that severely inhibits new construction for ::insert arbitrary reasons::.

True to some extent
Based on the conversations I've had to sit through....

A whole lot of people complaining about "The Asians" (or depending on age...The 'O' word) buying up 1 family plots and turning them into shitty apartment complexes.
When someone in our family sold their 2 family home, complete with parking area and garages and "yard", it was quickly bought up.
Most of the neighborhood has been transformed into 8 family apartment buildings where 1 and 2 family homes once stood.
In our case, they have already (illegally) converted the first half where now their is about 15+ people renting out rooms and whatever. Expectation is that when the other family sells the entire place is going to be torn down and another ugly apartment building is going to go up.

Generally the big complaint is lack of parking and comments of how specific groups of Asians treat others in the neighborhood.

Then you run into the homeless shelter and low income house conversation.
"Hey...is that Uncle Tom on TV? Protesting the homeless shelter?"
Twas hilarious

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'll be riding in the city when I can on weekends until it gets too cold. If I see armies of Antifa, BLM thugs or leftist anarchists I'll be sure to take photos before I ride away for my life.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'll be riding in the city when I can on weekends until it gets too cold. If I see armies of Antifa, BLM thugs or leftist anarchists I'll be sure to take photos before I ride away for my life.

If you dont ride around dressed like a proud boy, you'll be fine

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

Go look at the year over year murder stats I linked and tell me where these correlations are please.
Sorry, I was talking specifically about Los Angeles. The Rodney King riots were the lighting of a powder keg resulting from a few preceding years of a crack epidemic, increasing gang violence, unemployment and socio economic disparity.

NY went through something a bit different a decade earlier with the Bernie Goetz incident.

We’re witnessing the same now. The current social unrest is due to a pandemic exasperating and exposing the socio economic disparity and segregation found in many American cities.

But the OP is correct. The gentrified Nimby urban citadels of knowledge worker affluence are largely unaffected by most of it.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Again I'm not saying the city isn't in some sort of trouble. It is. But there is no conversation to be had when you have one side politicizing exaggerating mayhem and painting dystopian pictures across the board in order to create panic and accelerate extremist viewpoints instead of coming together and figuring out solutions.

If Trump wins and continues to govern this country as two Americas, blue state vs red and urban vs rural, I will be calling all my state representatives and senators in support of secession.

Feb 4, 2009
Who the fuck cares about 1992 Rodney King Riots in 2020?
Who the fuck cares about 1992 riots in a thread that is not about 1992 riots?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I would be very interested to know what percentage of people who think NYC has descended into chaos in:

1) in America
2) in this thread

Actually live in NYC.

I’m having a margarita in a nice backyard bar with some cool ivy and a nice breeze. Seems pretty nice to me.

Let me guess though, I’m a privileged yuppie who doesn’t know the real suffering of the city. Maybe not, but to people who don’t live here: I bet I know it better than you.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It has created an alternate universe for Trumpists and their apologists.

I believe the two parties living in alternative realities has been well documented.
Though I am glad the work to... understand... it, continues.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Sorry, I was talking specifically about Los Angeles. The Rodney King riots were the lighting of a powder keg resulting from a few preceding years of a crack epidemic, increasing gang violence, unemployment and socio economic disparity.

NY went through something a bit different a decade earlier with the Bernie Goetz incident.

We’re witnessing the same now. The current social unrest is due to a pandemic exasperating and exposing the socio economic disparity and segregation found in many American cities.

But the OP is correct. The gentrified Nimby urban citadels of knowledge worker affluence are largely unaffected by most of it.

Actually the stats show that crime isn’t related to economic conditions. During the Great Depression crime didn’t rise nor did if during the Great Recession.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I believe the two parties living in alternative realities has been well documented.
Though I am glad the work to... understand... it, continues.

At the risk of ending up in a "both sides" debate it must be recognized that the divergence is highly asymmetrical.