My Intern is 37

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
I hate that shit... My last intern was 45... The one before that was like 25, that was cool. All these people think computer are the place to be and decide to switch careers.

He's okay, but doesn't know shit. Oh well.... I'll have to school this kid.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: necine
I hate that shit... My last intern was 45... The one before that was like 25, that was cool. All these people think computer are the place to be and decide to switch careers.

watch him have a blackman avatar name on here :D 4 posts, maybe?

jersiq

May 18, 2005

You're right, because once we pick a career in our 20's, we should stay in that career until we die.
:confused:

Feb 6, 2007
Make up phrases and pretend they're "what all the kids are saying these days." That should make him feel appropriately old.

"This is totally flambasted. Some narquat must've shot it straight out the pentax." <giggle silently to yourself as he furiously scribbles down what you are saying>

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Originally posted by: jersiq

You're right, because once we pick a career in our 20's, we should stay in that career until we die.
:confused:

QFT.

Also, sounds like you have a few things to learn that the the 37 year old could probably teach you.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Or you could consider the guy has been around the block more than you and stop acting like a know-it-all 22 year old.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
As someone also into IT (programming), I can vouch for his sentiment towards the older folks that jumped into the industry chasing the money, especially during the tech boom. About 90% of them just dont "get it", and never will. Many of those that were hired then just because they had a pulse and could write a few lines of HTML are being flushed out.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: effowe
What exactly are you going to be teaching him?

I'm helpdesk for a medium size company... like 800 users. I'll probably be an IT analyst in like a year and after I finish my bachelors then MBA who knows.

Let me explain myself... The only reason I hate having interns that much older then me is I feel like roles should be reversed. That and little quips from my coworkers about how I should be the intern. I don't have anything against people changing careers it's just I have a lot of responsibility and they have to keep up with me or end up being my go-for... I don't have a big head or anything but 1/2 these interns don't try... another 1/4 try hard and know stuff, another 1/4 try hard and don't know much. He's in the last 1/4 but he works his ass off so I'll try to help him. I just feel bad. I approved his resume before he came so it was my call at least. But still... It just feels weird. I guess I'l get over it.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Or you could consider the guy has been around the block more than you and stop acting like a know-it-all 22 year old.

QFT

And I'm 22.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Also, interns are always up your ass. It's annoying! Plus I'm drunk right now so I'm ranting.

Doodoo

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2000
Umm...is he your intern or is he just an intern working for the company that you have to train? Never heard of interns reporting to helpdesk staff.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Help desk staffers looking down on others... now that's comedy. :p

</semi-serious putdown by a software developer>

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Doodoo
Umm...is he your intern or is he just an intern working for the company that you have to train? Never heard of interns reporting to helpdesk staff.

He reports to me... I'm the only helpdesk, lol.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: yllus
Help desk staffers looking down on others... now that's comedy. :p

</semi-serious putdown by a software developer>

I program too and do web development... I don't look down on the dude, I just find it odd having an intern that's 15 years older then me.

My role as helpdesk is untraditional - which is the only reason I took the job in the first place.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003

It kind of sounds like they had an intern and had to stick him with someone and your time is disposable? :D

Intern at a helpdesk has got to be hard up. Poor guy.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
OPs just the another regular ATOT elitist that think's he's god's gift to everything.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Rumpltzer

It kind of sounds like they had an intern and had to stick him with someone and your time is disposable? :D

Intern at a helpdesk has got to be hard up. Poor guy.

Far from it, my boss has to save money for the dept. as a part of his review. He gets the interns for that. The interns he gets graduated a community college accelerated computer program that basically trains them for helpdesk.