My i7 7700k Has Arrived - Insights, Benchies & Overclocks Inside (Now With Delid!)

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
what is avx negative offset, maybe richUk can explain it to me
From a Broadwell-E overclocking guide:
AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: This setting reduces CPU core frequencies by the applied value when an AVX workload is run. The thermal output of AVX workloads is an order of magnitude higher than for non-AVX workloads, which is why this setting has been introduced. In theory, we can utilize a higher operating frequency for light-load applications while heavy-load applications that contain AVX code will downclock the processor to help keep core temperatures below the throttling point.

For example if your CPU is stable at 5.1Ghz while running non-AVX loads but can only clock to 4.9Ghz while running AVX loads, then having a setting that automatically reduces CPU clocks while running AVX instructions by 200Mhz will allow you to run a stable 5.1Ghz oc.

Reactions: Drazick

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
From a Broadwell-E overclocking guide:

For example if your CPU is stable at 5.1Ghz while running non-AVX loads but can only clock to 4.9Ghz while running AVX loads, then having a setting that automatically reduces CPU clocks while running AVX instructions by 200Mhz will allow you to run a stable 5.1Ghz oc.

Exactly that. Just means you have to do two stability runs to understand max clocks with AVX and non-AVX workloads and the apply a negative offset appropriately.

Reactions: Drazick
Dec 22, 2016
i cant seem to stabilize at 5.1, so i settle at 5ghz with ring clock at 4.8 and my 3200mhz ram to cl 16-17-17-28 at 3466 mhz, runs at 1.344 underprime 1.312 idle, and i guess it ll be around 1.328 while gaming to bf1,

i can get prime stable at 1.328 with ring clock to 4200mhz, but with 4800 i get better benchmark result on memory in aida

Reactions: HilbertSpace
Dec 22, 2016
maybe its my asus hero 8 z170 that block me to go beyond 5ghz, even at 1.4v on vcore i failed in prime, always core#8 physical or logical either one will fail pretty fast and its the one that heats the less,

i will try again when they give us a bios update, im running 3101 which is beta bios

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Or you can spend that money on your own tool and do it. It is really stupid simple. It's not rocket science, I promise.
Great, I'll pay you 25 on top of the chip to do it for me for my next chip.
It's not rocket science, it's basically free money for you, so just delid my next HEDT chip whatever it is whenever. Not even sure why you're even charging me man, that's poor taste for a fellow forum member who wouldn't charge you if they knew something that wasn't rocket science and could help you out.

Nice heads up on the delid service. It's kind of expensive for an i7 normal system, but for an expensive HEDT chip why not....

Reactions: Phynaz

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It's not rocket science, it's basically free money for you, so just delid my next HEDT chip whatever it is whenever. Not even sure why you're even charging me man, that's poor taste for a fellow forum member who wouldn't charge you if they knew something that wasn't rocket science and could help you out.

Nice heads up on the delid service. It's kind of expensive for an i7 normal system, but for an expensive HEDT chip why not....
Depends on risk+convenience+time

One thing I learned from IDontCare's delid thread: It is important to get the gap between the IHS and die just right, so that it holds the TIM. If you want to use an HSF, it is best to replace the IHS and use new rubber adhesive-sealant. So for $50, I'll pay someone to do it if I need it done.

Dec 22, 2016
Try upping the vcore, you've still got room to play with.
i do have more headroom, but fact is im stable at 5 ghz with cache at 4.8 with 1.344 v under prime, which gives me temps in the low 70 in prime, so i decided to stop until next bios upgrade to see if it ll be a bit better, my system is almost silent this way, i wont benefit much of the extra 100 mhz considering that id have to run it close to 1.4 or maybe a bit higher than 1.4. im working 4 nights straight but im off all next week, so ill try with block oc to see how it goes, hopefully asus release a new bios soon for z170

Dec 22, 2016
i also use my pc only for gaming and streaming, so i dont really need the extra 100 mhz, would be fun to have it, i havent given up yet, just ran out of time at the moment :)

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Depends on risk+convenience+time

One thing I learned from IDontCare's delid thread: It is important to get the gap between the IHS and die just right, so that it holds the TIM. If you want to use an HSF, it is best to replace the IHS and use new rubber adhesive-sealant. So for $50, I'll pay someone to do it if I need it done.

A rockit tool and relidder takes the risk out of the equation. I could relid a chip in under 10 minutes and glue the lid back on. A trick I use is a wee drop of carazy glue in two corners then black silicone the perimeter leaving a small gap. Basically follow intels lines. The two drops of crazy glue are strong enough to hold the IHS until the silicone dries which is like 24hrs+ so yea, it can take about 10 minutes. If you wanna pay me 50 bucks for that, I'm down lol.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013

HEDT chips are soldered, so...

A rockit tool and relidder takes the risk out of the equation. I could relid a chip in under 10 minutes and glue the lid back on. A trick I use is a wee drop of carazy glue in two corners then black silicone the perimeter leaving a small gap. Basically follow intels lines. The two drops of crazy glue are strong enough to hold the IHS until the silicone dries which is like 24hrs+ so yea, it can take about 10 minutes. If you wanna pay me 50 bucks for that, I'm down lol.
Is the IHS/CPU assembly held in a jig or vise during this cure time?

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
so this is my final OC, proud of what i achieved, thanks to everyone here for the advices allowing me to push my limits, delid and most of all have fun

https://s20.postimg.org/p80axc1lp/Final_OC.png

i did set avx offset to 1, i cant prime 27.9 at 5055mhz
Damn fine hard work. Well done! To the edge and enjoy the view from here :)
- i had a laugh at that last stretch looking at the screendump. Within like 99.99% of the possible. Crazy. Thumbs up.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2016
Damn fine hard work. Well done! To the edge and enjoy the view from here :)
- i had a laugh at that last stretch looking at the screendump. Within like 99.99% of the possible. Crazy. Thumbs up.
thanks, i think im gonna try to crank the ram to 3600 37ish if i can :),

there it is final OC ram at 3600mhz from a 3200 kit

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/1678780

Last edited:
Reactions: krumme