My i7 7700k Has Arrived - Insights, Benchies & Overclocks Inside (Now With Delid!)

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Support is not going to be provided for KL in Windows versions earlier than 10.

That doesn't mean things will stop working immediately.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
"soon-to-be-KBL owners thread" got closed so i guess this is the place now?
i got my 7700K, ordered the Asus Prime Z270-P, i hope it won't hold me back as it is kind of a budget board by Asus standards, and i'm going to pair it with 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4-3000 CL15.
the chip will be under a Noctua NH-C14 with 2 14cm fans.

now i'm contemplating a de-lid...there is one major "pro" and several "cons". cons are: i dont have CLU, and major computer hardware stores here don't have it. will NT-H1 be good too under the hood?
secondly...i'm a delid virgin :) maybe i'll buy some old P4 chips to practice on.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
this takes all the fun away tho
For me, it would just give me what I would want from Intel in the first place - and save me the risk of wrecking a $300 processor.
Personally, I'm planning to wait till KBL-X or SKL-X (or maybe even Zen, if it really lives up to the hype) - all of which will likely be soldiered in the first place.

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
For me, it would just give me what I would want from Intel in the first place - and save me the risk of wrecking a $300 processor.
Personally, I'm planning to wait till KBL-X or SKL-X (or maybe even Zen, if it really lives up to the hype) - all of which will likely be soldiered in the first place.

Delidding is not essential - every 7700k will do 4.8Ghz without delidding with temperatures of 75-85 under full load, with a high end air cooler or noisy AIO watercooler.

Clocking past 4.8Ghz drastically raises temperatures and demands much higher voltages, for practically no performance benefit in games. Still fun for those who like pushing it to the limit, but rather pointless for most.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

Chrisch

Dec 18, 2016
short test with my 3200 CL15 G.Skill kit

5000-4600-4133-linx-1z7qn0.png

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Delidding is not essential - every 7700k will do 4.8Ghz without delidding with temperatures of 75-85 under full load, with a high end air cooler or noisy AIO watercooler.

Clocking past 4.8Ghz drastically raises temperatures and demands much higher voltages, for practically no performance benefit in games. Still fun for those who like pushing it to the limit, but rather pointless for most.

True, but psychologically, I don't know if I can deal with temps that high. My current rig maxes out at around 50C while folding (CPU+GPU). Technically, it's not a problem - but this system has lasted a long time (with a few upgrades).

Dec 22, 2016
this is indeed a nasty ram OC, i have a similar kit of gskill but 16-16-36 3200 and i could only push to 3700 range with cl 17, 3600 is easily acheivable but i think its pretty much the limit of my kit for a stable system, ill definitly try to push it more when i receive my clu :)

Dec 22, 2016
actually 1.45v vdimm but will try tomorrow with other vccio/vccsa and lower vdimm.
from my kit experience i could put 15-16-16-28 without changing the voltage from 16-16-16-36, i could keep the 28 all the way up to 3600 without a problem, i know i can do 16-18-18-28 at 1.38 1.39 V 3600mhz

from what i red before with samsung memory is 1.45 volt isnt much of a problem, if you have good air flow in your case it shouldnt heat that much

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Win 7 is no problem with kaby lake, driver etc still works.

Ausgezeichnet! [I think I said that correctly, und -- bitte -- Sie testen nicht mein Deutsch. Ungeheure!!]

That is really good. But that was the official announcement, or so I thought -- "Win 7 'not supported.'" IF the drivers work, the CPU is properly recognized, the benchies show nothing holding it back, this complicates my budget and purchase plans for 2017. Too many choices of too many big-ticket items. Even so, in the comparison, an i7-7700K isn't really "big-ticket" unless I get a binned and relidded chip.

But that's what I'd do. Or -- I'd buy the Rocket Tool, and take my chances with the "mainstream silicon lottery."

Dec 22, 2016
so far without delid, 4.9 ghz 1.24 Volt on vcore in bios llc 6, which gives me 1.248 in idle and 1.280 in prime, ive done the prime test 1344 for an hour, and seems stable, with temps on core 1-2 i the high 70 like 78 and 71-72 on core 3-4, i should receive my liquid ultra on monday, so this will be my starting point when i delid,

im using an asus hero 8 z170, its not easy to deal with the vdroop and llc overshoot a lot, how are you doing with your new board richuk ?

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
so far without delid, 4.9 ghz 1.24 Volt on vcore in bios llc 6, which gives me 1.248 in idle and 1.280 in prime, ive done the prime test 1344 for an hour, and seems stable, with temps on core 1-2 i the high 70 like 78 and 71-72 on core 3-4, i should receive my liquid ultra on monday, so this will be my starting point when i delid,

im using an asus hero 8 z170, its not easy to deal with the vdroop and llc overshoot a lot, how are you doing with your new board richuk ?

I've found the board to be pretty solid. I'm using LLC level 5 which is right on the money, doesn't drop or overshoot under load.

Just need to get some decent RAM as I bought the board to get over 4000.

Reactions: Drazick
Dec 22, 2016
I've found the board to be pretty solid. I'm using LLC level 5 which is right on the money, doesn't drop or overshoot under load.

Just need to get some decent RAM as I bought the board to get over 4000.
i agree with llc level 5, what i do like about using llc 6 is i can lower the voltage in bios, so i get a lower voltage idle, and it overshoot to the desired voltage underload, it is tricky to find a balance, but if u can, it gives lower voltage on less demanding appas

Dec 22, 2016
this is what i achieve so far without delid on a asus hero 8 z170 and a swiftech h240x pump to 30 % and fan to 65 % at 70 degres

hopefully i receive my liquid ultra on monday, cant wait to push this cpu more !

Dec 22, 2016
i tried with ram clock at 3600 17-18-18 28 1.37 volt, altho i complete super pi, i cant pass prime so id have to tweak some of the voltage, but this will be a good starting point after the delid, its gonna be my first delid and i plan to use the tuto on the rockit site, altho ill probably put the liquid metal on the ihs first to get a feel of the texture first

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
this takes all the fun away tho

As much as I'm an extreme Do-It-Yourselfer, it makes sense for me to pay someone $50 who will guarantee their work and done it repetitively hundreds and thousands of times. You only needed to follow along with IDontCare's long ground-breaking delidding thread with an Ivy-Bridge K processor. The things I'm more likely to do for myself are also the things I probably can't pay to have done.

Ronald Coase, "The Theory of the Firm." Decide what's to be done in the firm and outside the firm based on the costs of doing it either way. Why go through a learning curve of high risk, when you're paying $350 for a processor that you could destroy by accident?

Dec 22, 2016
As much as I'm an extreme Do-It-Yourselfer, it makes sense for me to pay someone $50 who will guarantee their work and done it repetitively hundreds and thousands of times. You only needed to follow along with IDontCare's long ground-breaking delidding thread with an Ivy-Bridge K processor. The things I'm more likely to do for myself are also the things I probably can't pay to have done.

Ronald Coase, "The Theory of the Firm." Decide what's to be done in the firm and outside the firm based on the costs of doing it either way. Why go through a learning curve of high risk, when you're paying $350 for a processor that you could destroy by accident?

i understand your point of view, i could also not delid and be satisfied with my 4.9 ghz, but when i bought the chip i knew i would delid it. overclocking is a hobby for me, and i want to push my limits further, ive received my liquid ultra so tomorrow morning when i come back from work will be delid time !