My i7 7700k Has Arrived - Insights, Benchies & Overclocks Inside (Now With Delid!)

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
4.20Ghz stock? Smoking hot :D

Being serious now, it will be interesting to see how this faces against the Ryzen 4c/8t SKUs next year.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
All this talk about QSync encoding... does a BLCK OC disable QSync encoding? I guess it would, if it disables the iGPU.

Chrisch

Dec 18, 2016
yummi ;)

20161220_1301566uke2.jpg

Reactions: vissarix and RichUK

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005

What's your plan for these? If you like, I can post your results in the OP as it seems a lot of sites are monitoring this thread.

I think batch numbers and vital statistics (volts, temps, etc) when hitting 5Ghz will be of most interest to people.

Reactions: Drazick

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Looks like intel screwed up the TIM real good again. Guess they dont think they need to learn from previous mistakes because they have such a market share advantage.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Looks like intel screwed up the TIM real good again. Guess they dont think they need to learn from previous mistakes because they have such a market share advantage.

The cynic in me believes Intel purposely did this to allow them to release a Devil's Canyon version should Zen get too close performance wise.

Looking at this through a business lens, Intel can release the 7700k and cause enough Internet chatter to take the focus (somewhat) away from Zen and then once Zen lands, Intel has the option to release a Devil's Canyon type 7700k to solidify their number 1 position over Zen.

Maybe, who knows.

There are loads of internet 'theories' over Intel's manufacturing process / rationale for the current TIM / IHS setup - it'd be nice to hear from an Intel engineer if there is a genuine technical reason for this.

One thing I would like to point out is it didn't appear the adhesive was raising the IHS. I should have taken some pics, but I could see a small gap between the IHS and PCB when i put the IHS on top of the naked die, so I believe this theory is false.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
The cynic in me believes Intel purposely did this to allow them to release a Devil's Canyon version should Zen get too close performance wise.

Looking at this through a business lens, Intel can release the 7700k and cause enough Internet chatter to take the focus (somewhat) away from Zen and then once Zen lands, Intel has the option to release a Devil's Canyon type 7700k to solidify their number 1 position over Zen.

That won't happen. i7-7700k already clocks so high that another 100 or 200 Mhz increase won't really have an impact. It's 4 cores vs 8 cores after all. Not everything can be compensated with a high clock frequency.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
That won't happen. i7-7700k already clocks so high that another 100 or 200 Mhz increase won't really have an impact. It's 4 cores vs 8 cores after all. Not everything can be compensated with a high clock frequency.

Fair point, though I'm guessing only a relatively small user base we really benefit from more cores (this is probably me being ignorant) and therefore the majority of consumer tasks will still perform better on a 7700k+.

Chrisch

Dec 18, 2016
not all, i only delid the cpus which are good with stock TIM. if a cpu need more than 1.3-1.32v for 5GHz its uninteresting for me.

Reactions: vissarix

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015

Fair point, though I'm guessing only a relatively small user base we really benefit from more cores (this is probably me being ignorant) and therefore the majority of consumer tasks will still perform better on a 7700k+.

Depends entirely on Zen's single core IPC, and single core boost levels. We haven't heard anything information about single thread performance yet, so impossible to judge. If it is Broadwell IPC, then Zen will crush any Intel quad core, though that's a massive if.

Mar 10, 2006

Maybe, who knows.

There are loads of internet 'theories' over Intel's manufacturing process / rationale for the current TIM / IHS setup - it'd be nice to hear from an Intel engineer if there is a genuine technical reason for this.

One thing I would like to point out is it didn't appear the adhesive was raising the IHS. I should have taken some pics, but I could see a small gap between the IHS and PCB when i put the IHS on top of the naked die, so I believe this theory is false.

The "devil's canyon" of which you speak will be Kaby Lake-X on the HEDT platform. Same Kaby Lake CPU die, but likely solder instead of the weaksauce thermal paste found on the mainstream chips.

The reason that the cheap-o paste is used is that the 7700k is fundamentally the same product as the lower end, locked SKUs, just binned and unlocked. They aren't going to do an entirely separate packaging job just for one SKU.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
The "devil's canyon" of which you speak will be Kaby Lake-X on the HEDT platform. Same Kaby Lake CPU die, but likely solder instead of the weaksauce thermal paste found on the mainstream chips.

The reason that the cheap-o paste is used is that the 7700k is fundamentally the same product as the lower end, locked SKUs, just binned and unlocked. They aren't going to do an entirely separate packaging job just for one SKU.

Ah, forgot about Kaby Lake-X.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Nice.

Is it likely my motherboard that is holding my memory back? It doesn't matter whether i up the volts (VCCIO/SA, DRAM) or not, it's just not very stable over 2800?

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
RichUK and Chrisch, Thank you BOTH for a great and informative thread. What a significant drop in thermals!